Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: GTK Problems

  1. #1

    Unhappy GTK Problems

    Hello,

    I am having trouble with the look and feel of my system.
    XFCE, which I would really like to use, looks plain ugly and is just unusable on my machine (see screenshot 1)! When I try to change the GTK theme (see screenshot 2) the only thing which has an effect is the window border style. The icon set for example doesn't change no matter which one I chose. The button style also stays the same.
    Although it doesn't look as ugly, I also get problems under KDE and Gnome.

    Is this a GTK problem? Is there a conflict between the desktop environments?

    A few notes on what I did till now:
    1. Installed XFCE during the OpenSUSE 13.2 install
    2. Installed KDE and Gnome to try them out (official repos)
    3. Built XFCE 4.12 from source and installed to ~/local/
    4. Removed all of XFCE from system (because it was not working so well)
    5. Installed XFCE 4.12 from the Packman Repository


    Anyone have an idea on what could be causing the problem and how to fix this?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks



  2. #2

    Default Re: GTK Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by pat32 View Post
    Is this a GTK problem? Is there a conflict between the desktop environments?
    KDE creates a GTK2 configuration file according to its settings when you log into KDE, to make GTK2 applications look native inside KDE.
    Try to remove the files ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4 and you should be able to set your style inside XFCE's settings.
    To prevent KDE from creating those files again, uninstall the package kde-gtk-config.

    Or set the GTK2 style to your liking in KDE's system settings->Application Appearance->GTK.

    Installed XFCE 4.12 from the Packman Repository
    How did you do that?
    I don't see XFCE available at all in the Packman Repository...

  3. #3

    Default Re: GTK Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    KDE creates a GTK2 configuration file according to its settings when you log into KDE, to make GTK2 applications look native inside KDE.
    Try to remove the files ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4 and you should be able to set your style inside XFCE's settings.
    To prevent KDE from creating those files again, uninstall the package kde-gtk-config.

    Or set the GTK2 style to your liking in KDE's system settings->Application Appearance->GTK.
    Thanks a lot! This worked!

    After deleting the files you mentioned I could change the theme but was still getting a few strange problems like the icons on the desktop not having a text (see screenshot 2 from my original post)
    Simply deleting the XFCE config files worked for me:
    • ~/.config/xfce4
    • ~/.config/XfceThemeManager



    I then found out while playing with themes that clicking "Reset Theme" in the XFCE theme manager was causing the desktop icon text problem among other things.

    Also worth noting : going into Gnome and changing the theme to match that which I set in xfce (Greybird), made the notification bubbles look proper.

    In any case, my desktop environment doesn't look perfect yet as there are still a few glitches (see screenshot : http://s21.postimg.org/5mqmvfe3r/screenshot5.png) but it's MUCH better now.
    Thanks again!

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    How did you do that?
    I don't see XFCE available at all in the Packman Repository...
    Oops my bad, I don't know why I thought this was from the packman repo.
    The repo. is actually this one: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_13.2/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •