Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unable to install Oracle Java 8 OpenSUSE 13.2

Default Unable to install Oracle Java 8 OpenSUSE 13.2

Hello all,

I need to install Oracle's version of Java 8 on OpenSUSE 13.2.
    This would seem to be a straightforward process however it is not turning out
    to be. I have attempted to follow instructions found in the SUSE link here:
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Installing_Java#Situation but my results are not
    the same. This is a fresh installation of OS13.2 with all recent updates.

The error I receive when trying to rpm -ivh the rpm is:

error: Failed dependencies:
    /usr/sbin/alternatives is needed by jdk1.8.0_40-2000:1.8.0_40-fcs.i586

There is indeed no 'alternatives' in /usr/sbin. I assume it is looking for the command
    update-alternatives or the driectory /etc/alternatives. I have tried linking to one or
    the other but both result in the same error message. Ideas? I haven't found this issue
    anywhere else listed on a Google search, and for good measure I have wiped my VM
    and re-installed but the same problem exists.

FWIW, if you try to force it with --nodeps it will unpack and sort of install but errors out with:

update-alternatives: error: alternative javaws can't be slave of java: it is a slave of javaplugin
    update-alternatives: error: alternative javaws can't be slave of javac: it is a slave of javaplugin
    warning: %post(jdk1.8.0_40-2000:1.8.0_40-fcs.i586) scriptlet failed, exit status 2

and the install will not be detected if you manually run update-alternatives --config java

Thanks.

Default Re: Unable to install Oracle Java 8 OpenSUSE 13.2

Well did you install the alternatives package LOL

Just do a search for alternatives in yast Install that package. It allows using multi-versions of the same package or in this case java source,

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Well did you install the alternatives package LOL

Just do a search for alternatives in yast Install that package. It allows using multi-versions of the same package or in this case java source,
    Yep, it's installed by default.

I have the same problem

/usr/sbin/alternatives...

don't know what to do... I installed JDK via YaST, Eclipse works perfect.
    But IntelliJ IDEA does't work for me

Ok the package actually puts update-alternatives in the /usr/sbin . try making a link alternatives -> update-alternatives. I'm guessing a packaging problem

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Ok the package actually puts update-alternatives in the /usr/sbin . try making a link alternatives -> update-alternatives. I'm guessing a packaging problem
    I have already tried this without success.

Sorry don't have any further clue.

Create a script called miuku.takes.no.responsibility.but.is.really.a.cute.guy.sh

and put inside it:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    priority=20000
    jrebindir=/usr/java/jdk1.8.0_40/bin
    jremandir=/usr/java/jdk1.8.0_40/man/man1
     /usr/sbin/update-alternatives --install \
     /usr/bin/java java $jrebindir/java $priority  \
    --slave /usr/bin/ControlPanel ControlPanel $jrebindir/ControlPanel --slave /usr/bin/javaws javaws $jrebindir/javaws --slave /usr/bin/jcontrol jcontrol $jrebindir/jcontrol \
    --slave /usr/bin/jjs jjs $jrebindir/jjs --slave /usr/bin/keytool keytool $jrebindir/keytool --slave /usr/bin/orbd orbd $jrebindir/orbd \
    --slave /usr/bin/policytool policytool $jrebindir/policytool --slave /usr/bin/rmid rmid $jrebindir/rmid --slave /usr/bin/rmiregistry rmiregistry $jrebindir/rmiregistry \
    --slave /usr/bin/servertool servertool $jrebindir/servertool --slave /usr/bin/tnameserv tnameserv $jrebindir/tnameserv \
    --slave /usr/bin/javac javac $jrebindir/javac --slave /usr/bin/pack200 pack200 $jrebindir/pack200 \
    --slave /usr/share/man/man1/java.1 java.1 $jremandir/java.1 \
    --slave /usr/share/man/man1/javaws.1 javaws.1 $jremandir/javaws.1 --slave /usr/share/man/man1/jjs.1 jjs.1 $jremandir/jjs.1 \
    --slave /usr/share/man/man1/keytool.1 keytool.1 $jremandir/keytool.1 --slave /usr/share/man/man1/orbd.1 orbd.1 $jremandir/orbd.1 \
    --slave /usr/share/man/man1/pack200.1 pack200.1 $jremandir/pack200.1 --slave /usr/share/man/man1/policytool.1 policytool.1 $jremandir/policytool.1 \
    --slave /usr/share/man/man1/rmid.1 rmid.1 $jremandir/rmid.1 --slave /usr/share/man/man1/rmiregistry.1 rmiregistry.1 $jremandir/rmiregistry.1 \
    --slave /usr/share/man/man1/servertool.1 servertool.1 $jremandir/servertool.1 --slave /usr/share/man/man1/tnameserv.1 tnameserv.1 $jremandir/tnameserv.1 \
    --slave /usr/share/man/man1/unpack200.1 unpack200.1 $jremandir/unpack200.1
    Execute it and see what happens. If you have no openjdk installed but installed the .rpm from Oracle it *should* register it. update-alternatives --config java should reflect this.

Note, I pulled the priority and a few other things out of my butt so I take no responsibilty, however on my test VM:
    Code:
    java version "1.8.0_40"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_40-b25)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.40-b25, mixed mode)

java: /usr/bin/java /usr/lib64/java /etc/java /usr/share/java /usr/share/man/man1/java.1

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Mar  5 19:04 /usr/bin/java -> /etc/alternatives/java
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Mar  5 19:49 /etc/alternatives/java -> /usr/java/jdk1.8.0_40/bin/java
    If you get errors about javac being master alternative, throw away your openjdk files as it gets confuzzled. Don't have time to fix that right now :-)
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

.: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

With this much 'munging' with Java, where do you suspect I should locate my
    unlimited strength JCE files? The JAVA environment is such a mess with links
    everywhere.

Reinstalling OS so I can start clean.
    Will take it up again tomorrow. Thanks
    for the assistance.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast