Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Wireless connection active but Firefox refuses to connect

  1. #1

    Default Wireless connection active but Firefox refuses to connect

    KDE 13.2 and I've just changed to the wireless radio and it IS enabled. On the adapter I see the blinking lights and the indicator shows the connection to be active BUT my Firefox browser refuses to connect to any websites. What could possibly be the matter?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,003

    Default Re: Wireless connection active but Firefox refuses to connect

    You do not of course test those things using an end-user application like Firefox. Go step by step.

    Is the wifi device realy up and running:
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig -a
    Do you have a route to the internet through your router:
    Code:
    netstat -rn
    Can you connect to a computer on the Internet
    Code:
    ping -c1 130.57.66.6
    Do you have DNS resolution:
    Code:
    host forums.opensuse.org
    Do those test in the above sequence. When one test gives you a negative result, it is of no use to go for the next test. Report back here.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3

    Default Re: Wireless connection active but Firefox refuses to connect

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    You do not of course test those things using an end-user application like Firefox. Go step by step.

    Is the wifi device realy up and running:
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig -a
    Do you have a route to the internet through your router:
    Code:
    netstat -rn
    Can you connect to a computer on the Internet
    Code:
    ping -c1 130.57.66.6
    Do you have DNS resolution:
    Code:
    host forums.opensuse.org
    Do those test in the above sequence. When one test gives you a negative result, it is of no use to go for the next test. Report back here.
    ping command failed with ping:bad number of packets to transmit

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,003

    Default Re: Wireless connection active but Firefox refuses to connect

    Please, this is not a good way to show what you get. Copy/paste the prompt, the command, the output and the nerxt prompt in one sweep beteen CODE tags in your post. You get the CODE tags by clicking on the # button in the tool bar.

    And we like to see all of what you were asked for, from the beginning until you are stuck. We can not draw any conclusions from things we can not see!

    Example: when I want to show what happens with netstat -rn
    Code:
    henk@boven:~> netstat -rn
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
    0.0.0.0         10.0.0.138      0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 enp1s8
    10.0.0.0        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 enp1s8
    127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0 lo
    henk@boven:~>
    Please, over to you, at least the first three (ifconfig, netstat and ping).
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,284
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Wireless connection active but Firefox refuses to connect

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckenheimer View Post
    ping command failed with ping:bad number of packets to transmit
    Copy/paste the commands exactly as Henk gave them to you. (My guess is that you typed 'cl' instead of 'c1'.)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Wireless connection active but Firefox refuses to connect

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Copy/paste the commands exactly as Henk gave them to you. (My guess is that you typed 'cl' instead of 'c1'.)
    Aye. I'm working from a windows machine at the moment and it makes things difficult to transfer across commands and then provide feedback from the Linux machine to you here. I'll need instructions again about how to post these to the website for such purposes manually. Please bear with me as I proceed.

    Now I see that with the c1 command, I get a unknown host response. I'll wait for further instruction.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,003

    Default Re: Wireless connection active but Firefox refuses to connect

    We realy need the output of the first two commands (and that of the ping command) as you get them. Because you gave no idea if you understood the output of the first two and thus we can only tell you what they say.

    You can probably catch the ouput by writing it to an USB memory stick. Maybe it is easyer for you to first write it to some place in your home directory and then move them to an USB stick (with a file manager like Dokphin e.g.). To redirect the output:
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig -a >outputofifconfig 2>&1
    and
    Code:
    netstat -rn >outputofnetstat 2>&1
    Of course you can choose different names for the files, these strange names are only to give you an idea.
    Move them to an USB stick, and it must be possible to read them on a MS Windows system (I hope, I do not know much of Windows ) and post from there.
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: Wireless connection active but Firefox refuses to connect

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    ... these strange names are only to give you an idea ...
    ... and where do you keep coming up with all these strange names, Henk???
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Wireless connection active but Firefox refuses to connect

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    You do not of course test those things using an end-user application like Firefox. Go step by step.

    Is the wifi device realy up and running:
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig -a
    Do you have a route to the internet through your router:
    Code:
    netstat -rn
    Can you connect to a computer on the Internet
    Code:
    ping -c1 130.57.66.6
    Do you have DNS resolution:
    Code:
    host forums.opensuse.org
    Do those test in the above sequence. When one test gives you a negative result, it is of no use to go for the next test. Report back here.
    Well, let's see what happens with the wireless connection disabled and the wired connection enabled. That is the only way for me to communicate from this Linux box now.

    Code:
    charles@linux-o5eg:~> /sbin/ifconfig -a
    enp0s18   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0D:87:3D:2C:5C  
              inet addr:10.0.0.135  Bcast:10.0.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:18301 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:12751 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:19821881 (18.9 Mb)  TX bytes:1683131 (1.6 Mb)
    
    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    
    wlp0s8    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:40:96:B2:58:25  
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

  10. #10

    Default Re: Wireless connection active but Firefox refuses to connect

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckenheimer View Post
    Well, let's see what happens with the wireless connection disabled and the wired connection enabled. That is the only way for me to communicate from this Linux box now.

    Code:
    charles@linux-o5eg:~> /sbin/ifconfig -a
    enp0s18   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0D:87:3D:2C:5C  
              inet addr:10.0.0.135  Bcast:10.0.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:18301 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:12751 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:19821881 (18.9 Mb)  TX bytes:1683131 (1.6 Mb)
    
    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    
    wlp0s8    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:40:96:B2:58:25  
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Code:
    charles@linux-o5eg:~> netstat -rn
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
    0.0.0.0         10.0.0.1        0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 enp0s18
    0.0.0.0         10.0.0.1        0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 enp0s18
    10.0.0.0        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 enp0s18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •