Thread: How to reconcile "vendor stickiness" and updates?

Default How to reconcile "vendor stickiness" and updates?

Hi everyone,

First of all, I was wondering if someone could please explain the difference between these repositories:

1. http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...13.2/standard/
    2. http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...13.2/repo/oss/
    3. http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.2/

Are #1 and/or #2 maintained without any changes, and security/bug fixes are only pushed to #3?

Additionally, I was wondering how updates are supposed to be obtained from the Update repo (#3) given the default policy of "vendor stickiness"?
    The package manager Zypp uses the vendor stickyness concept. This means that when you update your system, already installed packages will not be updated to a newer version, if the newer version is provided by a different vendor.
    So assuming that packages originally come from #1 and/or #2, how could I get updates from #3 unless I enabled vendor changes (which I don't want)?

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: How to reconcile "vendor stickiness" and updates?

Quote Originally Posted by sb56637 View Post
    Are #1 and/or #2 maintained without any changes, and security/bug fixes are only pushed to #3?
    Yes.
    In fact #1 and #2 are exactly the same.

Additionally, I was wondering how updates are supposed to be obtained from the Update repo (#3) given the default policy of "vendor stickiness"?
    The update repo has the same vendor as the main repo (openSUSE).

So assuming that packages originally come from #1 and/or #2, how could I get updates from #3 unless I enabled vendor changes (which I don't want)?
    You get the updates from #3 without enabling vendor changes, as there is no vendor change necessary.

You could also define other vendors to be equal to openSUSE in /etc/zypp/vendors.d/ if you wanted to.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 27-Feb-2015 at 15:13.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Yes.
    In fact #1 and #2 are exactly the same.
    Ah! Thanks for clearing that up. In that case I'm going to remove one of them, I don't know how they both got enabled. Possibly a 1-click install YMP added the duplicate at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323
    The update repo has the same vendor as the main repo (openSUSE).

You get the updates from #3 without enabling vendor changes, as there is no vendor change necessary.
    So it appears that "repositories" are not synonymous with "vendors"?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sb56637 View Post
    The "vendor" is not identical to the "repo". As I understand it, the vendor is given in control information inside the RPM. So as long as rpms in those repos have the same vendor information, it will be fine.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    The "vendor" is not identical to the "repo". As I understand it, the vendor is given in control information inside the RPM. So as long as rpms in those repos have the same vendor information, it will be fine.
    Got it. Thanks very much to both of you for clearing this up!