Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: fullscreen applications causes application graphics to freeze

  1. #1

    Default fullscreen applications causes application graphics to freeze

    Hello
    I seem to be having a weird problem with the graphics. Occasionally the graphics output seems to freeze for some applications. It seems to happen mostly for flash player, but it sometimes happens to Firefox, and twice to Kwin. Usually the only way to fix it is the the restart the application in question, though with Firefox, bringing up the close window dialogue and clicking cancel also fixes it. It seems to have something to do with fullscreen applications. It can be triggered by the screensaver or various games. Switching to fullscreen in Minecraft seems to trigger it consistently though other applications does not seem to consistently trigger it.

    I'm on opensuse 13.2 with a Nvidia GTX 780 and Nvidia driver 346.35.

  2. #2

    Default Re: fullscreen applications causes application graphics to freeze

    Try toggling "Suspend desktop effects for fullscreen windows" in "Configure Desktop"/Systemsettings->Desktop Effects->Advanced.
    This can cause problems with some graphics drivers.

  3. #3

    Default Re: fullscreen applications causes application graphics to freeze

    "Suspend desktop effects for fullscreen windows" is already off. Enabling it doesn't seem to change anything.

  4. #4

    Default Re: fullscreen applications causes application graphics to freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by LinAGKar View Post
    "Suspend desktop effects for fullscreen windows" is already off. Enabling it doesn't seem to change anything.
    And if you disable desktop effects completely? Does this help?

    OTOH, it might also be the resolution change when switching to fullscreen might be the problem.
    Try to disable the "KScreen2" service in Configure Desktop->Startup and Shutdown->Service Management.

    And maybe post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and/or the output of "glxinfo|grep render" (you might have to install Mesa-demo-x) to see whether your nvidia driver is working.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 27-Feb-2015 at 17:29.

  5. #5

    Default Re: fullscreen applications causes application graphics to freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    And if you disable desktop effects completely? Does this help?

    OTOH, it might also be the resolution change when switching to fullscreen might be the problem.
    Try to disable the "KScreen2" service in Configure Desktop->Startup and Shutdown->Service Management.
    No, disabling desktop effects does not seem to change anything, nor does stopping the KScreen2 service. The applications in question shouldn't change the resolution anyway though, should they?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    And maybe post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and/or the output of "glxinfo|grep render" (you might have to install Mesa-demo-x) to see whether your nvidia driver is working.
    The driver seems to be working fine.

    Code:
    > glxinfo|grep render
    direct rendering: Yes
    OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 780/PCIe/SSE2
        GL_ARB_compute_variable_group_size, GL_ARB_conditional_render_inverted, 
        GL_KTX_buffer_region, GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info, 
        GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_copy_image, 
        GL_NV_path_rendering, GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_NV_point_sprite, 
        GL_ARB_compute_variable_group_size, GL_ARB_conditional_render_inverted, 
        GL_KTX_buffer_region, GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info, 
        GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_copy_image, 
        GL_NV_path_rendering, GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_NV_point_sprite, 
        GL_EXT_render_snorm, GL_EXT_robustness, GL_EXT_sRGB, 
        GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_buffer, GL_NV_copy_image, 
        GL_NV_packed_float_linear, GL_NV_path_rendering, 
        GL_OES_element_index_uint, GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap,

  6. #6

    Default Re: fullscreen applications causes application graphics to freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by LinAGKar View Post
    No, disabling desktop effects does not seem to change anything, nor does stopping the KScreen2 service. The applications in question shouldn't change the resolution anyway though, should they?
    Well, the thread's title is "fullscreen applications causes application graphics to freeze". And _fullscreen_ applications probably do change the resolution...

    The driver seems to be working fine.
    Yes.

    No idea then, other than a bug in the graphics driver or a hardware problem (card overheating e.g.).

  7. #7

    Default Re: fullscreen applications causes application graphics to freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Well, the thread's title is "fullscreen applications causes application graphics to freeze". And _fullscreen_ applications probably do change the resolution...
    Well, the resolution stays the same. Though some test with other applications and kde's resolution settings shows that switching the resolution might be what triggers it. Would it be possible for an application to "change" the resolution to the same as it was? That might be what happens with Minecraft, going to fullscreen there cause the screen to blink in black which might indicate some kind of mode-setting.

  8. #8

    Default Re: fullscreen applications causes application graphics to freeze

    This also seems to get triggered by switching session.

    Also Mpv crashes when this occurs.
    Code:
    > mpv --hwdec=vdpau --hwdec-codecs=h264,mpeg1video,mpeg2video,vc1,mpeg4,wmv3 --vo=opengl-hq videoplayback.mp4
    Playing: videoplayback.mp4
     (+) Video --vid=1 (*) (h264)
     (+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=und (*) (aac)
    Trying to use hardware decoding.
    AO: [pulse] 44100Hz stereo 2ch float
    VO: [opengl-hq] 1280x720 vdpau
    AV: 00:00:01 / 01:35:12 (0%) A-V:  0.142 Dropped: 6
    [ffmpeg/video] h264: hardware accelerator failed to decode picture
    AV: 00:00:01 / 01:35:12 (0%) A-V:  0.150 Dropped: 7
    [vo/opengl-hq/vdpau] Got display preemption notice! Will attempt to recover.
    [vo/opengl-hq/vdpau] Recovered from display preemption.
    [ffmpeg/video] h264: hardware accelerator failed to decode picture
    AV: 00:00:01 / 01:35:12 (0%) A-V:  0.248 Dropped: 8
    [ffmpeg/video] h264: hardware accelerator failed to decode picture
    AV: 00:00:01 / 01:35:12 (0%) A-V:  0.244 Dropped: 8
    [ffmpeg/video] h264: hardware accelerator failed to decode picture
    Segmenteringsfel1:35:12 (0%) A-V:  0.244 Dropped: 8

  9. #9

    Default Re: fullscreen applications causes application graphics to freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by LinAGKar View Post
    This also seems to get triggered by switching session.
    You mean switching to text mode and back via Ctrl+Alt+Fx?

    You could try to disable the framebuffer then, see here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...le_framebuffer

    One of the KWin developers has suggested this here: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?...nvidia#p327165

  10. #10

    Default Re: fullscreen applications causes application graphics to freeze

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    You mean switching to text mode and back via Ctrl+Alt+Fx?
    It also happen when switching to a different graphical session.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    You could try to disable the framebuffer then, see here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...le_framebuffer
    Not sure if I've managed to disable the frambuffer properly (I still have "/dev/fb0"), but nothing seems to have changed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •