Thread: VNC problem in openSUSE 13.2

Default VNC problem in openSUSE 13.2

Hello,

after upgrading my system from 12.4 to 13.2 VNC server stopped working

I can telnet e.g. 5902 OK but the VNC client (in my case UltraVNC on win ) only shows a black screen.
    As far as I can tell, the cursor doesn't load correctly (it's just a dot - not the normal VNC cursor)

In fact I have another server on my network which was also upgraded from 12.4 to 13.2 and VNC works fine for that.

The only thing that I can think of is that I may have tampered with something when switching between wicked/NetworkManager/no service (because I have a problem with MTU set by DHCP in wicked which cases me problems ) - but I really don't know which config changes to look for in order to fix the problem

kind regards,
    Jens

Default Re: VNC problem in openSUSE 13.2

Upgrade from 12.3 ( not 12.4)

That is a huge jump. It is a wonder it runs at all. How did you do the upgrade??

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    That is a huge jump. It is a wonder it runs at all. How did you do the upgrade??
    I just burned a DVD and updated from there
    in all fairness, the whole process went well - the VNC problem is only on one of several systems ( an important one, though )

That the problem with large jump upgrades. Some things just don't work. Main reason is that over time config file formats and options change. Programs can more or less deal with this on single version changes but multiple ones can cause problems. Try backing up the config files for the apps causing problems and erase them this should force new proper formatted ones to be created. You then have to attempt to recreate the settings you want. Hint most system configs are in /etc user configs usually are in the users home and either in ~/.config or in their own hidden directory.