Thread: New to linux like for a week. Have questions about Virtualbox

Default New to linux like for a week. Have questions about Virtualbox

Hi,

I've used mainly Microsoft DOS and Windows since about 1987. I decided to give Linux a go by running it in a Virtual Machine (using Oracle's Virtualbox). I tried Linux back in 2007 but gave up on it because I didn't understand it compared to Microsoft Windows and its command prompt. But now in 2015 I'm ready to try it again because of all the free programs I can get, that to me makes it attractive. Free is good! And to see what it's capable of and what I can do with it. Not because I'm tired of Microsoft Windows or anything, but mainly to learn Linux. And just in this past week I'm seeing the light when it comes to Linux. I've tried all kinds of distros in the last week to find the ones I like. I like 4 distros, openSUSE, Ubuntu, Fedora, and openMandriva. I have to say, I like openSUSE the best. The others are good too, but openSUSE I like the best, so its gonna be the one I learn from the most. openSUSE is the only one I'm able to setup shared folders with between my Microsoft Windows 8.1 host and openSUSE client. I open a terminal and do the following in my home directory:

mkdir myshare
    sudo mount -t vboxsf ShareFolder ~/myshare/

I got this from another site I visited. As I'm not that familiar yet with the Linux Terminal. What I know according to that site that I got this info from is that "vboxsf" is part of a group, and that my user account in Linux has to be a part of that group to share folders between host and client. It should work as well for Fedora, Ubuntu, and openMandriva but doesn't. Don't know why, but thats okay because I'm sticking with openSUSE for now anyway. As long as openSUSE allows me to pass stuff between the host and client I'm good. I'm just leaving the other 3 distros installed as clients in Virtualbox just to see the difference between them as I learn Linux. That way I can see what makes them common to Linux, and what makes them different by distributor.

Default Re: New to linux like for a week. Have questions about Virtualbox

Sorry could not find the actual question??

Default Re: New to linux like for a week. Have questions about Virtualbox

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Sorry could not find the actual question??
    May I add that a good problem description (if this is one) contains basicaly three things:
    • what did you do;
    • what did expect to happen;
    • what happened instead.

And a bit background description on what the idea is behind what you ar doing is often needed (describe the goal, not the step).

And remind that while you may tell what you think must be concluded from what happened, we prefer in any case to see what you did and what happened, the facts. So please post the terminal commands you used complete with prompt, command, ooutput, next prompt. We can the come to our own conclusions (and I gguess that is why you came here).
    Henk van Velden