Thread: freeze at shut off

Default freeze at shut off

with my PC=Dell latitude E6510, RAM=8Gb, GPU=GT218 NVS 3100M, CPU=i7 Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, OS=opensuse 13.2 KDE= 4.14.4
    sometimes in the past (about 2 months ago the last so maybe KDE was earlier version) I met the problem described in this link:
    https://tekdrops.wordpress.com/2015/...o-spegnimento/
    I switched off the laptop, it seems that it was switched off, put it in the bag, after one hour I opened the bag and the laptop was at sun-temperature, the led battery was yellow danger, I opened the screen and apparently nothing happened, I switch off in the hard way pressing 5seconds the button.
    At first I thougt it was my fault, too hurry and didn't wait enough to allow the laptop to switch off and other silly things, yesterday I read this article and realize that wasn't my fault.
    it propose a solution: (it says that kwin disable nvidia module and sometimes and rarely happens what happened to me and the solution solve)
    put
    Code:
    nvidia-smi -pm 1
    in /etc/rc.local
    -where is the equivalent in opensuse ?? /etc/init.d/after.local ??
    -is this problem already solved (maybe having kde 4.14.4 or other opensuse updates) in my system??
    -is it dangerous??
    manythanks, ciao, pier

Default Re: freeze at shut off

Hi. I'm afraid I can't actually help you, but I can say that I have a similar laptop (mine is an E6530), and I observed this behavior 2, maybe 3 times during the 18 months that I ran opensuse 12.3 on it. FWIW, I installed 13.2 in December, and have not observed it on the current OS.

I didn't put any effort into tryng to identify a cause - it was just so infrequent that I just forgot about it until the next time it happened. But it *is* disturbing to pull the computer out of the bag and have it be blistering hot and the battery near dead. But mine still works. I just try to make sure it turns off before storing it.

Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    with my PC=Dell latitude E6510, RAM=8Gb, GPU=GT218 NVS 3100M, CPU=i7 Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, OS=opensuse 13.2 KDE= 4.14.4
    sometimes in the past (about 2 months ago the last so maybe KDE was earlier version) I met the problem described in this link:
    https://tekdrops.wordpress.com/2015/...o-spegnimento/
    I switched off the laptop, it seems that it was switched off, put it in the bag, after one hour I opened the bag and the laptop was at sun-temperature, the led battery was yellow danger, I opened the screen and apparently nothing happened, I switch off in the hard way pressing 5seconds the button.
    At first I thougt it was my fault, too hurry and didn't wait enough to allow the laptop to switch off and other silly things, yesterday I read this article and realize that wasn't my fault.
    it propose a solution: (it says that kwin disable nvidia module and sometimes and rarely happens what happened to me and the solution solve)
    put
    Code:
    nvidia-smi -pm 1
    in /etc/rc.local
    -where is the equivalent in opensuse ?? /etc/init.d/after.local ??
    -is this problem already solved (maybe having kde 4.14.4 or other opensuse updates) in my system??
    -is it dangerous??
    manythanks, ciao, pier
    Hi,

Code:
    /etc/init.d/after.local
    is probably what you are looking for

Start it after you're done editing it.

Code:
    systemctl start boot.local
    Enable it if you want to run it at boot.

Code:
    systemctl enable boot.local
    Good luck.
    "Unfortunately time is always against us" -- [Morpheus]

.:https://github.com/Jetchisel:.

Quote Originally Posted by jetchisel View Post
    Hi,

Code:
    /etc/init.d/after.local
    is probably what you are looking for

Start it after you're done editing it.

Code:
    systemctl start boot.local
    Enable it if you want to run it at boot.

Code:
    systemctl enable boot.local
    Good luck.
    ... I did it , ....is this service also in yast>services manager?? with which name??
    manythanks, ciao, pier