Thread: Weird Graphic glitches after first install

Default Weird Graphic glitches after first install

So I installed opensuse 13.2 on my SSD and I started doing some updates (yast) and added some repos. Then suddenly while updating this weird graphic glitch came up. The whole screen was completely messed up , It looked like the graphic card died. Then the screen started rebooting by it self. This happens after each restart now. I have re installed the operating system many times and the funny thing is after the install opensuse remembers the original settings?? which was kind of impressive. Please help.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Weird Graphic glitches after first install

Quote Originally Posted by xsamdagreatx View Post
    So I installed opensuse 13.2 on my SSD and I started doing some updates (yast) and added some repos. Then suddenly while updating this weird graphic glitch came up. The whole screen was completely messed up , It looked like the graphic card died. Then the screen started rebooting by it self. This happens after each restart now. I have re installed the operating system many times and the funny thing is after the install opensuse remembers the original settings?? which was kind of impressive. Please help.

Thanks
    Hi
    Folks probably need some detail on your specific AMD card...
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk |grep -A3 VGA
    What desktop environment?

To get to a VT, press alt+ctrl+F1 if you have no workable screen and login there.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

I have a AMD RADEON HD 7750 2gb graphic card. At first everything was working fine then I installed the proprietary drivers using the one click install in the opensuse website. Then I started updating it said that I needed to log off and log back in for some updates to take place. So I did that but it got stuck on a command line log in screen and would not log in after that. So I decided to re install the whole thing but for some reason opensuse remembers the old settings or something and that is where the glitch would start to take place right after i log in. the whole screen would be pixelated and then keeps rebooting until I make a hard reboot of the desktop. I had the same problem with mint but I fixed it by installing the amd graphics directly from their website. Now I just want to get a working desktop back. Even a clean install would't do it anymore. Please help

Blog Entries

Hi
    After any kernel update the driver needs to be re-built (which is possibly causing your issue). I use the building the rpm yourself method from here;
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx

Using the script includes an automagic process to rebuild the fglrx driver after a kernel update.

I wouldn't expect the system to 'remember' your setting if your re-installing and re-formatting the system / directory.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE

Ok then How would I format it correctly? because before the reinstall in went into the partitions and deleted all the partitions in there , I couldn't find a format drive option so I deleted the partitions manually. Strangely enough when everything rebooted all my tweaks and gnome extensions were there.

Blog Entries

On Tue 24 Feb 2015 11:06:02 PM CST, xsamdagreatx wrote:

Ok then How would I format it correctly? because before the reinstall in
    went into the partitions and deleted all the partitions in there , I
    couldn't find a format drive option so I deleted the partitions
    manually. Strangely enough when everything rebooted all my tweaks and
    gnome extensions were there.

Hi
    On a re-install you would use the expert option and select the
    partitions for the filesystem type, format and mount point.

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.36-38-default