Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Custom keyboard map

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Custom keyboard map

    Lately I have taken to studying ancient languages, such as Paleo Hebrew, Proto Canaanite, LinearB and LinearA. For now, I want to create a keyboard map for Proto Canaanite. I figure I can start with Hebrew. Use Hebrew as the skeleton and just change the fonts. Let me show you why. This chart should help.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Custom keyboard map

    The "Early" is the Proto Canaanite. The "Middle" is Paleo Hebrew, and "Late" is like modern Hebrew.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,003

    Default Re: Custom keyboard map

    Looks nice. I assume all those characters can be found in Unicode.
    But I failed to identify your question.
    Henk van Velden

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Custom keyboard map

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Looks nice. I assume all those characters can be found in Unicode.
    But I failed to identify your question.
    It depends. I know I can get them here; Unicode Hebrew Fonts So, That would be a yes.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,003

    Default Re: Custom keyboard map

    I had no doubt about Hebrew being defined in Unicode (see http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0590.pdf and http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/UFB00.pdf)

    But I can not find immediatly the ancient ones. Allthough Phoenician (at http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U10900.pdf comes very near your "Middle" column.

    Nice and interesting subject!

    But again, what is your question in this Help forum?
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Custom keyboard map

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I had no doubt about Hebrew being defined in Unicode (see http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0590.pdf and http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/UFB00.pdf)

    But I can not find immediatly the ancient ones. Allthough Phoenician (at http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U10900.pdf comes very near your "Middle" column.

    Nice and interesting subject!

    But again, what is your question in this Help forum?
    My question, what I need help with is creating a keyboard map. I want to type in Middle and Early. I can't seem to be able to create a Hebrew keyboard layout, let alone replace the Hebrew fonts with Early and Middle.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,003

    Default Re: Custom keyboard map

    I have no idea what you already have read, found, tried or done. There are of course Hewbrew keyboards on the market. And Mapping on Latin ones. I found e.g. this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_keyboard which looks to me as a good starting point.

    And then of course when you replace the glyphs of your Hewbrew fonts with the wanted ones, it will show/print them instead of Hebrew. But I have no idea if somebody did alread create those glyphs.

    Google, google, google?

    Aren't there any "pressure groups" that want these alphabets incorporated in Unicode? That would at least give them a proper place and I have no doubt glyphs would be created (either free or not).
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Custom keyboard map

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I have no idea what you already have read, found, tried or done. There are of course Hewbrew keyboards on the market. And Mapping on Latin ones. I found e.g. this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_keyboard which looks to me as a good starting point.

    And then of course when you replace the glyphs of your Hewbrew fonts with the wanted ones, it will show/print them instead of Hebrew. But I have no idea if somebody did alread create those glyphs.

    Google, google, google?

    Aren't there any "pressure groups" that want these alphabets incorporated in Unicode? That would at least give them a proper place and I have no doubt glyphs would be created (either free or not).
    No. No. Not hardware, my friend. A keyboard "layout" a keyboard "map". I posted about it on Facebook for my Windows friends. I have read an Arch howto, although I don't quite get it. The glyphs are already done. It's actually called pictographic.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Custom keyboard map

    I hope I haven't scared everyone off. At this point, I can't even seem to make a regular Hebrew keyboard map. Something is missing here.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,003

    Default Re: Custom keyboard map

    I was not realy talking hardware I assume.A keyboard gives only keyboard codes when a key (combination) is hit. The keyboard mapping translates that into the character values defined in the mapping. The only hardware comes into play IMHO is when you start putting stickers with the characters to the keys.

    BTW in KDE when you go to System Settings > Hardware > Input Devices > Keyboard and then the tab Mappings (or similar, I have a Dutch translation here), I am able to add Mappings. And when I restrict the language to Hebrew, there are still 5 possibilities.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •