Thread: OpenSuse(13.2 and KDE) Questions: Sessions, G-Voice, Themes, Brightness, Updates and Icons

Default OpenSuse(13.2 and KDE) Questions: Sessions, G-Voice, Themes, Brightness, Updates and Icons

I just installed OpenSuse (13.2 KDE) yesterday and so far it's been good. However, I've been stuck on a few issues that I don't know how to fix.
    1. When I restart my computer, how do I have the programs open from pre-restart open and go to the same position on their respective desktops?
    2. Is there a program that I can use to text with using G-Voice?
    3. How do I install themes like this one[1] ?
    4. Can I change the auto-dim when idle to off when I'm watching a video (such as youtube, or some other streaming service)?
    5. In YaST I'm trying to apply all the patches (not just the needed ones), but when I press accept a progress screen pops up and then closes out, why is this? Also, is it needed to apply all the patches?
    6. I'm using the Icon-Only Task Manager widget and was wondering if there was some way I could change the icons so that I know which apps are opened, and which aren't? If not, is there some other alternative to this widget?
    7. I'm running OpenSuse on a VPCEH13FXB; when the computer gets out of sleep or hibernation mode, the touchpad stops working but the keyboard is fine. Why is that?

This is a crosspost from reddit, here.

Blog Entries

Default Re: OpenSuse(13.2 and KDE) Questions: Sessions, G-Voice, Themes, Brightness, Updates and Icons

Quote Originally Posted by collegestudentcarri View Post
    I just installed OpenSuse (13.2 KDE) yesterday and so far it's been good. However, I've been stuck on a few issues that I don't know how to fix.

I'll try to answer some, and skip those which I can't answer.

When I restart my computer, how do I have the programs open from pre-restart open and go to the same position on their respective desktops?
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

The default is for the system to remember what was open when you logout, and to restart those. I prefer to have a specific setup each time.

Configure Desktop --> Startup and Shutdown --> Session Management

I then check the box (in the On Login section): "Restore manually saved session".

Then, starting with a clean session, I set it up just as I want it. Then I click the Kickoff launcher (bottom right), move the mouse over the "Leave" tab, and click "Save Session". On future logins, I get that saved session.

Can I change the auto-dim when idle to off when I'm watching a video (such as youtube, or some other streaming service)?
    Configure Desktop --> Power Management
    and uncheck the box for Dim Screen. Perhaps also uncheck the "Screen Energy Saving" box. When the video has finished, you might want to go back and check those boxes again.

In YaST I'm trying to apply all the patches (not just the needed ones), but when I press accept a progress screen pops up and then closes out, why is this? Also, is it needed to apply all the patches?
    I was confused by this as a new user.

The patches that are not needed are either: patches to software that isn't installed; or patches that have already been applied. So there's nothing to do. The only reason to show them, is to lookup any information related to the patch (such as which bugs were fixed).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Default Re: OpenSuse(13.2 and KDE) Questions: Sessions, G-Voice, Themes, Brightness, Updates and Icons

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post

I'll try to answer some, and skip those which I can't answer.
    Sessions: That's what I was looking for thanks! The problem now is that I can't find the Save Session in the Exit Menu. These are the options I have: Log Out, Lock; Switch user, Sleep; Hibernate, Restart; and Shutdown.

Auto-Dimming: I wish there was a more elegant solution, the battery on this laptop is almost gone as it is. Despite that, I think I'm just going to disable the energy saving functions.

Patches: That makes a lot more sense, thanks!

It would seem as though I can't edit my posts, so I'll update here. I figured out the sessions, there was an option in "Session Management" called "Restore Manually Saved Session" that allowed me to save sessions.

Please, asking many questions in one thread does not realy work in your advantage. The discussion that will follow will be a big mess. Some people answering on one question and the following post being a reaction on another question.

One question in a thread, in the correct (sub)forum and with a good telling title is the best way to lure people into helping you.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by collegestudentcarri View Post
    1. When I restart my computer, how do I have the programs open from pre-restart open and go to the same position on their respective desktops?
    I use this, in the upper bar of the application or window you want to remember where it is rightclick>more actions>special application settings (os special window settings)>check the box related to what you want the application to remember>choose in the related dropdown list what is better for you (remember, force, or other self explanation options)