Since 13.2 upgrade Internet Connection slows dramatically with NetworkManager

Ever since I upgraded to 13.2, when I use NetworkManager as my method of connection my internet connection slows to a crawl if my machine is left idle for a few hours (such as if I leave it on overnight or when I go to work). LAN connections seem fine, and only the WAN is affected.

If I switch the connection type to Wicked, this slowdown doesn’t occur. (I unfortunately cannot use Wicked as I use a connection to my work VPN through NetworkManager).

Does anybody else have this issue, or could anybody point me to where to find information (logs/etc.) about what may be causing this slowdown?

This same issue affects two separate computers after the 13.2 upgrade. No other machines in my house (Ubuntu, Windows, Xbian, Tablets, Phones, Etc.) are affected.

More Info:
Opensuse 13.2/x64
DHCP (all Automatic)
Connection: Wired

https://doc.opensuse.org/release-notes/x86_64/openSUSE/13.2/RELEASE-NOTES.en.html#installation

Thank you for your response. I may have mis-spoken as 13.2 was a fresh clean install, not a true upgrade. In any case, I followed the steps in the link when I first noticed the problem and it did not help.

More information: When the connection is in the “slowdown” state:

• Logging out/in does not help
  • Using NetworkManager to Disconnect/Reconnect does not help
  • Rebooting solves the issue. (And is the only thing that seems to work)

On 02/21/2015 12:46 AM, queequeg wrote:
>
> More information: When the connection is in the “slowdown” state:
> - Logging out/in does not help
> - Using NetworkManager to Disconnect/Reconnect does not help
> - Rebooting solves the issue. (And is the only thing that seems to
> work)
>
>
I have had a problem with my network dropping off in my new 13.2
install. Try running in a terminal as root:

# systemctl restart NetworkManager.service

Maybe that will reset your network to like it is when you reboot. Not a
perfect fix, but at least it is faster than rebooting, and a lot of web
connections will keep running smoothly while the network manager is
resetting.

When I did that, it got my network connection back every time. But then
in one place where I took my laptop, the network still kept cutting in
and out, as it seemed to not like the connection to that particular
router. So I was having to restart Network Manager all the time.

I finally ran a zypper patch and rebooted, and have not had the problem
since, but I still have a few more days at my current location to see
how it will work.

HTH

G.O.
Box #1: 13.1 | KDE 4.12 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 16GB
Box #2: 13.1 | KDE 4.12 | AMD Athlon X3 | 64 | 4GB
Laptop #1: 13.1 | KDE 4.12 | Core i7-2620M | 64 | 8GB
Laptop #2: 13.2 | KDE 4.14 | Core i7-4710HQ | 64 | 16GB

Thank you for responding! I’ll give it a try next time it happens and report back.

Well, I left my computer on while I went to work today, and when I got home the “slowdown” had occurred. I tried restarting network manger via the command line as suggested, but it did not help.

I then rebooted, and everything is fine again.

Any idea where logs are that may show what’s going on?

You could check /var/log/NetworkManager for any strange behaviour, (although I’m not aware of any performance issues that could be attributed to it specifically.)

Thank you for your response, much appreciated! I don’t see a “NetworkManager” file in /var/log. When I do:

journalctl -u NetworkManager

it responds with:

-- Logs begin at Sun 2015-02-15 22:58:28 MST, end at Tue 2015-03-03 17:48:23 MST. --

Any ideas?

D’oh! I forgot to run the above as root…

A bunch of info popped up this time so I’ll start to go through it. Thanks again!

I am having a similar issue with 13.2, although to date I have attributed it to perceived issues with the wireless in my office. I would like to shift wireless management to wicked as a test, but I can only find instructions for going from wicked to NM, not the other way. I suppose I should be able to figure it out, but if I break wireless, I won’t be able to get help. :wink:

Can someone provide the commands to shift from NM to wicked?

In the meantime I will be watching this thread for other things to try.

Yast-network-network device

Change settings there.

For what it is worthI use NM and harde wired connection have not seen any problem here. Wicked did not work for me :’(