Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Is it possible to remove grub2 without re-instalaltion ?

  1. #1

    Default Is it possible to remove grub2 without re-instalaltion ?

    HI
    My old pc will soon become just a game machine with WXP. It currently dual boots with Suse 13.2. Is it possible to delete Grub 2 and Suse partitions without re-installing WXP and boot int XP normally ?


    thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: Is it possible to remove grub2 without re-instalaltion ?

    Quote Originally Posted by mhunt0 View Post
    HI
    My old pc will soon become just a game machine with WXP. It currently dual boots with Suse 13.2. Is it possible to delete Grub 2 and Suse partitions without re-installing WXP and boot int XP normally ?


    thank you
    Yes, it is, but back up your WXP partition, first.

    I suggest you use this from within WXP:
    http://www.todo-backup.com/

    Choose the free version for home use, it works great. Make certain that you use its utility to make a boot USB or boot CD for restoring your image.

    Make a backup image of the WXP Partition only, not a full backup of the drive.

    Once you have one or two backups (note, you could also use Clonezilla to make a second image with a second backup utility, always a better idea than relying on only one), use GParted or another partitioner of your choice, delete all partitions, create a new MS-DOS partition table, which should set back to a fresh MBR.

    Now, restore your WXP partition image to the freed space.

    The rest should be automatic. If it is the only drive, your restored WXP partition should automatically be set with the BOOT flag. If not, it will not boot, so if that happens, check the BOOT flag using your partitioner, set it if necessary.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Is it possible to remove grub2 without re-instalaltion ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Yes, it is, but back up your WXP partition, first.

    I suggest you use this from within WXP:
    http://www.todo-backup.com/

    Choose the free version for home use, it works great. Make certain that you use its utility to make a boot USB or boot CD for restoring your image.

    Make a backup image of the WXP Partition only, not a full backup of the drive.

    Once you have one or two backups (note, you could also use Clonezilla to make a second image with a second backup utility, always a better idea than relying on only one), use GParted or another partitioner of your choice, delete all partitions, create a new MS-DOS partition table, which should set back to a fresh MBR.

    Now, restore your WXP partition image to the freed space.

    The rest should be automatic. If it is the only drive, your restored WXP partition should automatically be set with the BOOT flag. If not, it will not boot, so if that happens, check the BOOT flag using your partitioner, set it if necessary.

    Thank you, will give it a try when the time comes, still a month or two away, buying the new pc in parts.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,738
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Is it possible to remove grub2 without re-instalaltion ?

    Quote Originally Posted by mhunt0 View Post
    HI
    My old pc will soon become just a game machine with WXP. It currently dual boots with Suse 13.2. Is it possible to delete Grub 2 and Suse partitions without re-installing WXP and boot int XP normally ?


    thank you
    If you have the XP CD you can use that to fix the mbr
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...all/fixmbr.png

    Once windows is booting normally you can then use the XP disk management tool to delete the Linux partitions and re-assign the space to XP
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  5. #5

    Default Re: Is it possible to remove grub2 without re-instalaltion ?

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    If you have the XP CD you can use that to fix the mbr
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...all/fixmbr.png

    Once windows is booting normally you can then use the XP disk management tool to delete the Linux partitions and re-assign the space to XP
    Thank you, but it says at the bottom that if it has more than one OS installed that it can mess up the all thing ? the pc will have suse 13.2 on it too.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,738
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Is it possible to remove grub2 without re-instalaltion ?

    Quote Originally Posted by mhunt0 View Post
    HI
    My old pc will soon become just a game machine with WXP. It currently dual boots with Suse 13.2. Is it possible to delete Grub 2 and Suse partitions without re-installing WXP and boot int XP normally ?


    thank you

    Thank you, but it says at the bottom that if it has more than one OS installed that it can mess up the all thing ? the pc will have suse 13.2 on it too.
    So what is it?
    You initially suggest that it will have just XP and that you want to delete grub and the openSUSE partitions?
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: Is it possible to remove grub2 without re-instalaltion ?

    ... you can add me to the "confused" list, as well.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Is it possible to remove grub2 without re-instalaltion ?

    Don't see the confusion, let's repeat.

    Current machine has Windows Xp and Suse 13.2, I only use WXP for gaming.

    I'm building a new PC, it will only have Suse.

    I want to use the (soon to become) old PC just for gaming, so it doesn't needs to have Suse/dual boot.

    I want to remove the Suse installation and Grub from the old machine so it'll only have Windows XP so I would reformat the partitions that Suse used to be use by WXP.

    The second suggestion on how to do it states that if it (the pc) has more than one OS installed when doing that procedure, it could messes up everything. I want to avoid having to install WXP again from zero.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,785

    Default Re: Is it possible to remove grub2 without re-instalaltion ?

    Assuming MBR machine, Install the generic MBR code (not grub) to the MBR set the boot flag to XP that should then boot direct to XP not grub menu you can then remove the Linux partitions.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,738
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Is it possible to remove grub2 without re-instalaltion ?

    Quote Originally Posted by mhunt0 View Post
    Don't see the confusion, let's repeat.

    Current machine has Windows Xp and Suse 13.2, I only use WXP for gaming.

    I'm building a new PC, it will only have Suse.

    I want to use the (soon to become) old PC just for gaming, so it doesn't needs to have Suse/dual boot.

    I want to remove the Suse installation and Grub from the old machine so it'll only have Windows XP so I would reformat the partitions that Suse used to be use by WXP.

    The second suggestion on how to do it states that if it (the pc) has more than one OS installed when doing that procedure, it could messes up everything. I want to avoid having to install WXP again from zero.
    See my first reply in post #4
    It's that simple
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •