13.2 firewall shipped off??

Finally got around to installing 13.2 (because I added a SSD). Was setting up samba and noticed the the samba module said the firewall was off . Also notice I was running network on networkmanager not wicked. When I try wicked it won’t connect so ok networkmanager is fine by me if it works. But the firewall defaulting off is a problem also when I turn it on the samba module still says it is off and the check box to open ports is still grayed out. Trying to open the ports in the firewall module does not seem to work either.

Anyone have a clue?

As an aside the firewall GUI has become rather unintuitive even to someone that as worked with this stuff for a long time though networks have never been my thing.

Firewall was on here. I used the DVD installer.

I seem to recall that the firewall is off with the live KDE system. I didn’t install that way, so I don’t know if it stays off after an install.

I did use the KDE iso (USB install) Everything else is running great boot time is near zero with the SSD :slight_smile:

I can’t seem to open the ports needed for samba

set firewall on

The interface screen was blank so I added “any” for all zones (Why not a browse for hardware here???)

I then for externel zone added samba server/client/netbios

Samba module still shows firewall off

samba will not work with firewall on no matter what I do. Setting the interfaces to “any” seems to allowed Internet even with the firewall on. Before I set the interface Firewall blocked everything

Bump

I don’t like running without a firewall is there any way to actually make this work in 13.2??

The fact that wicked does not seem to like my net card and the firewall interface does not show any interfaces unless I add them.

Looked in Bugzilla but does not seem to have any issues open??? So… Any ideas?

Bump again…

I’m not sure of the point. Evidently, most folk are not experiencing what you see. And if we are not experiencing those issues, it’s hard to know exactly what problems you are seeing.

I don’t like running without a firewall is there any way to actually make this work in 13.2??

You could try turning it on.

The fact that wicked does not seem to like my net card and the firewall interface does not show any interfaces unless I add them.

This is normal. If your system is initially configured with NetworkManager, then no interfaces will be configured in wicked or in the firewall.

I’m not sure of your samba issues. For me, when I setup samba it automatically opened ports. But if the firewall was not running, maybe Yast skips those steps.

I do recall a recent thread dealing with this topic. I’ll see what I can find.

You can configure the firewall manually. Check/edit /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 for configuration entries, or use YaST to For example, I have the following entry to allow (Avahi) broadcasts from port 5353

FW_SERVICES_EXT_UDP="5353"

Ah, here we go…
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/502483-Opensuse-13-2-Yast-firewall-problems

The point is that if I turn it on samba does not work even if I set it in yast to allow samba. So I can have a firewall but not a local network or a local network and no firewall. See my problem? The fact that it after the install was not running (it should have been) and that Yast samba mod always says it is off even if turned on says there is something wrong but I can’t find the problem.

Interfaces are blank out of the box I can add “any” or enp2s0 (the card alias) but it does not help. Shouldn’t the interface be populated. I should not have to add an interface.

Looking at the /etc/sysconfig/Sussefirewall2 file it looks ok

I’ve always had problem out of the box with samba but never the firewall

Ok got it to work here was the problem

Wicked does not like my card

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

Flat won’t run it. Because of that the card was not properly listed
Went to yast-network-devices-networksettings set it to wicked that allowed me to initialize the card and edit the settings and assign the card to the internal zone. It now showed up in the Firewall and Yast-samba now shows that the fire wall is running and lists things right and the local net is working. rotfl!

Because Wicked failed and management worked but did not allow editing of the settings it totally confused me. Nd then why in the world was there no fire wall set on

We will see if the fix servives a reboot later

So, essentially as explained here? (Not so much the NIC, as a bit of manual configuration needed?)

We will see if the fix servives a reboot later

I don’t see why it wouldn’t.

Yep that is the hint I needed.

Because wicked failed and things switched to NetworkManager the nic’s setup was not complete. With NetworkManager in charge the notwork worked but the configs were not set up for the firewall so the system shut it down or maybe never started it. Any how, setting things to wicked, even though non functional, allowed me to manually configure the nic configs and then switching back to NM the firewall stayed up and the ports were opened for samba. I did not even know the firewall was down until I went to setup samba. I wonder how many other may be running without a functioning firewall???