Ark hangs for about a minute when opening files

Hi, since a installed openSUSE 13.2 a while ago I’ve been experiencing a weird behavior of ark when opening some compressed files. It hangs for around a minute and then shows file contents properly.

I noticed this happens only with some files nevermind his kind. Can happen with some ZIP and some don’t, the same with tar.xz… It’s frustating because I can’t find a pattern.

When I launch ark to open those files in a consoles this is what I have.

dhouard@minas-morgul:~/> ark sp-auth-3.2.6.tar.gz 

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/56-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated. please move it to /home/dhouard/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf manually
ark(8230)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed:  "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." 

Does anybody know how to fix this?.

Well, I never had a problem like this here (also 13.2), and when I run ark in a konsole, I don’t get any output at all.

But let’s see:

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/56-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated. please move it to /home/dhouard/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf manually

To get rid of this message, do as it tells you: move ~/.fonts.conf to ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf.
~/.fonts.conf is deprecated, and not just since 13.2.

But this cannot really cause your problem.

OTOH, this is indeed likely to cause the delay:

ark(8230)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed:  "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

The D-Bus reply timeout is about 30 seconds, so if something cannot be reached via D-Bus this can easily cause a 1 minute hang. (actually such hangs are typical for D-Bus problems…)

The question is what’s causing this problem though, and I have no idea.
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=224&t=106639 would suggest to remove ~/.pulse (try also to remove ~/.config/pulse).
Try also disabling some services in “Configure Desktop”->Startup and Shutdown->Service Management, in particular powermanagement and KMix (I have heard about those causing problems, in particular together with PulseAudio).

And can you reproduce this with a fresh user account?

Finally I managed to sort this out.

As wolfi323 suggested, I tried with a brand new user and everything went ok. Back to my default user, I started to disable some services and, at last, I found which was pissing me off.

I like having hidden the main window menu, so I set it to become a button in window decoration. So, when I disabled “Application menu demon” my problem disappeared.

I don’t know why this happened but, at least, everything is goind well.

Thanks.

Good! :slight_smile:

I like having hidden the main window menu, so I set it to become a button in window decoration. So, when I disabled “Application menu demon” my problem disappeared.

You don’t need the “Application menu daemon” for the button in the window decoration anyway, and not even for having the menu on the top of the screen.
I think this is only needed for having 3rd party applications show the active application’s menu, like a plasmoid e.g.

I don’t know why this happened but, at least, everything is goind well.

So somehow this daemon hang and therefore caused the whole kded4 to hang and not respond via D-Bus any more.

Why? Well, hard to tell. Might probably be stuff for a KDE bug report even.
I just tried to enable it here as well, but haven’t noticed any unusual behaviour/problems yet.

But if your problem is gone now, I guess that’s fine… :wink: