Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tumbleweed: Enable Networking Virt Manager

Default Tumbleweed: Enable Networking Virt Manager

I am running Windows 10 Technical Preview in a Virt Managed KVM under Tumbleweed host. How do I enable networking?
    Vintage IBM ThinkPad T21 (my first) laptop 1GHz PIII [T22 heatsink] ~ Silicon Heaven [RIP]
    X200 Lenovo ThinkPad (Libreboot) ~ Xubuntu 19.10
    X250 Lenovo Thinkpad ~ openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE
    C2D Micro ATX Tower (2nd Main Board) ~ Linux Mint 19.2 Tina

Blog Entries

Default Re: Enable Networking Virt Manager

Hi
    To what network interface on the host?

I use bridges connected direct to ethernet interfaces here..

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

I want to share wireless, I'll post a screenie when get a chance. I was looking at KVM documentation insteada Virt Manager. Doh!

Blog Entries

By default,
    When you install libvirt (including vm manager), a networking LBD (Linux Bridge Device) is set up automatically that will work with any active network connection on the Host, including wireless. Note that despite the similarity in name, a Linux Bridge Device does not necessarily mean that the networking connection is bridging mode (the virtual networking is same network as the physical network).

You can further inspect virbr0 which was already set up for you or create additional LBD configured for other types of networks (eg NAT, Host only, DHCP) in vm manager.

When you configure the Guest's networking properties, you specify which LBD to use, as I described you should find a virbr0 already exists. You can select this, or any other LBD you may have created, the LBD determines what kind of networking will be exposed to the Guest.

Within the Guest, only a default wired connection should be configured. No changes should ever be made here except perhaps whether to configure a static address or DHCP. The <type> of networking (eg wired/wireless, NAT, bridging, etc) is not configured within the Guest, is determined by the Guest properties.

TSU

Question Re: Enable Networking Virt Manager

None of the networking options suffice;

http://postimg.org/image/o8kaz7se5/3af2b305/
    Vintage IBM ThinkPad T21 (my first) laptop 1GHz PIII [T22 heatsink] ~ Silicon Heaven [RIP]

Blog Entries

1. Is there some reason why you're running a Tumbleweed Host? IMO this makes little sense unless you are researching. You alsoways want to apply the highest priority to stability for the HostOS.

2. Pls post your "ip addr" output from your Host machine. I strongly suspect you are using an improper interface, AFAIK no usable interface should be identified with "macvtap" You should be specifying an ordinary interface name without any special attributes. I'd also ask whether you did anything custom re: macvtap. AFAIK macvtap has been a part of the standard Linux kernel for a long time now and should not be further odified.

3. Unless something has changed in your version of vm manager or are using a different app than what I'd expect you to be using, you should not be configuing a virtual network in the screenshot you posted. To verify, post a screenshot of how vm manager first appears when it's launched.

TSU

http://postimg.org/image/sqx7sgeil/

Code:
    1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default 
        link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
        inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
        inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
    2: enp2s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN group default qlen 1000
        link/ether 04:7d:7b:da:aa:51 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    3: wlp1s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether 7c:e9:d3:f3:7d:31 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        inet 192.168.1.5/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global dynamic wlp1s0
           valid_lft 86177sec preferred_lft 86177sec
        inet6 fe80::7ee9:d3ff:fef3:7d31/64 scope link 

Blog Entries

1. Your physical networking device(s) aren't recognized. Your "ip addr" only describes your loopback interface, other interfaces should be described as well. Go into YAST>Network Devices and try to setup your physical NIC. This should have been done automatically during install, did you install without a NIC? How are you even configured to run Tumbleweed without a working network connection?

2. Your vm manager doesn't look familiar so either it's a Tumbleweed bleeding edge implementation or a different app. Click on "Help" and if there is an "About" submenu item and then either post the results or a screenshot. Am looking for the actual app name and version.

TSU

The mystery deepens! Totally networked here, wireless & Ethernet both work reliably;

http://postimg.org/image/4xm9txukv/

Blog Entries

Looks very different than what I expected.

No worry, I'll be able to take a look at this in a vm shortly.

Disregard my last comment about only the loopback displayed, it appears to be an issue with displaying [CODE] in the mobile format, the content didn't scroll to reveal the entire content. So yes, it appears that you are displaying physical interfaces but when you create your virtual network you should build the LBD on your wlp1s0 interface, not the one you showed in your earlier screenshot.

Don't know yet if you just choose a wrong interface or if you're seeing a bug.
    If I can install the same virt manager app you're using, I'll be able to check it out.

TSU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast