Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tumbleweed: Enable Networking Virt Manager

Blog Entries

Default Re: Enable Networking Virt Manager

While waiting on getting a test setup,

Was wondering if any LBD actually were created on your machine.
    On your Host, pls post the results of
    Code:
    brctl show
    And then repeating the command specifying the name of any device that is returned above
    Code:
    brctl show devicename 
    TSU

Blog Entries

OK,
    First...

I've verified at this point that what you're running seems to be specific to Tumbleweed and not distributed to any of the main OSS repos.

For that reason, I'm going to request that this thread be moved to the Tumbleweed Forum.

Secondly...
    I'm still interested in what you're looking at, so will be building a special Tumbleweed machine to take a look at it.
    Maybe someone in the TW Forum will already know the answer to your situation, if not I might be able to find the answer a bit later.

A basic question...
    Typically in all openSUSE including TW (I assume at this point without having actually done it in TW) the proper way to install KVM is using the YAST applet "Install Hypervisor and Tools." That should install libvirt and your choice of hypervisor (currently Xen, KVM, and user tools only for Docker) completely <and> possibly most importantly offer to create a device networking bridge device. I referred to this LBD earlier which is configured to work with <any and all> physical networks on your machine.

If you installed libvirt some other way, perhaps you should back track and use the YAST applet.

TSU

Will be movedto Tumbleweed so that Tumblewed users may be able to shed more light on this.

Is CLOSED for the moment.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Will be movedto Tumbleweed so that Tumblewed users may be able to shed more light on this.

Is CLOSED for the moment.
    Moved from Virtualisation and open again.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tumbleweed: Enable Networking Virt Manager

OK. Finally have a Tumbleweed install completed and inspected.
    Result actually is that vm manager is no different than what is usual in other mainline non-Tumbleweed, I was mistaken that Tumbleweed is different, so I don't know where you're getting your screenshots.

Technical comment - It looks like libvirt now creates a network spanning devices, ie a main br0 device is created bound to one or more physical interfaces and then libvirt bridging devices (virbr0, virbr1, etc) are bound to chosen main bridge devices (br0 for example).Spanning is typically enabled by default, most Users wouldn't be technically proficient enough to tread where angels do not dare...

The following assumes that the User installed libvirt by using the YAST "Install hypervisor and tools" applet. During the install, the User will be prompted whether to install a networking bridge and the User answered affirmatively and checked <both> the box for the virtualization technology (eg KVM) <and> the User Tools (which is easily overlooked but is required to get vm manager, vm install and virt install). <Not> checking the user tools box means you likely will manage your Guests by command line or use the GUI tools remotely. If the User didn't accept the offer to have this first networking bridge setup, then all of the above needs to be setup manually which could be intimidating to a first time User.

These are the essential places in vm manager necessary for configuring virtual networking.

First, as can be expected you should start with the default page. From here, there are two places you'll likely visit most often.

View and Manage Virtual Networks (Add, Remove, Edit)
    Edit > Connection Details
    Click on Virtual Networks (not Network Interfaces) tab
    You should see a network named "Default" with a Device name "virbr0" configured with NAT and DHCP issuing addresses 192.168.122.2-192.168.122.254 in a Class C default network.

If you'd like to create a different network with different connection properties... eg Bridging networking, Host Only, IPv6 support... then you would click on the green "plus" in the bottom left to add a new network and add the new network. Note that you would <not> modify the network interface tab which would already be setup to work with any active physical network interface, unless you really wanted to create a bridging device that would work only with a specific interface.
    Lock in your changes with the "Apply" button.

View and Manage Guest Networking Properties
    Note that you first need to have a desired virtual network created (see above) although you can create a virtual network on the fly
    Rt-click on an existing Guest, select "Details" - A window will then open that looks like "Connection Details"
    Select the bridging device from the list on the left.
    Click the "Apply" button.

Small note:
    For long time Users of libvirt, it looks like virt install no longer exists (at least I don't see it as a ready option), now there is only vm install. There used to be an "old" virt install that still had useful and sometimes more appropriate default sizing options. Now, there is only vm install and you need to carefully set every option because defaults aren't necessarily appropriate.

And, to the OP there is no "virt manager" I can find. Only vm manager.

TSU

Blog Entries

Forgot one other thing I noticed...
    In your Windows Guest, you've setup your networking incorrectly.

It does not matter what the GuestOS is, you should <not> configure your networking to connect to a bridge device (or at least there is no typical need. There may be corner scenarios where you might want to do this, but only if you are a very advanced User who knows what you are doing configuring highly unusual networking).

It does not matter what kind of HostOS physical network is being used (802.3 wired, WiFi, satellite, wireless carrier, fibre, etc), an ordinary wired network will be presented to the Guest.

So, within the GuestOS you should configure a very ordinary wired connection. If you change external physical networks often as I do on my laptop, then the <only> changes you might make in the GuestOS networking properties is whether to configure a DHCP client or static address.

TSU

Cool Re: Tumbleweed: Enable Networking Virt Manager

Managed to create a network as you guided. There was no default network so maybe I not configure network through YaST correctly when first prompted. If only the horrid screen redraws did not spoil the whole thing, regression? Was fine before now, but that is another post.

Thank you!
    Vintage IBM ThinkPad T21 (my first) laptop 1GHz PIII [T22 heatsink] ~ Silicon Heaven [RIP]
    X250 Lenovo Thinkpad ~ openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE
    C2D Micro ATX Tower (2nd Main Board) ~ openSUSE Leap 15.1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fleamour View Post
    Managed to create a network as you guided. There was no default network so maybe I not configure network through YaST correctly when first prompted. If only the horrid screen redraws did not spoil the whole thing, regression? Was fine before now, but that is another post.

Thank you!
    If you were able to create your default network manually on your own, kudos!

TSU

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12