Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: No Sound From Speakers...

  1. #1

    Default No Sound From Speakers...

    I have openSUSE 13.2 (64-bit) with the KDE environment installed on a desktop PC that connects to the Internet via an Ethernet cable. The sound card is Asus Xonar.
    All of a sudden today there is no sound going through the speakers. All I did was run zypper up and install some patches.
    I know that there is no problem with the sound card or the speakers because everything works fine with Microsoft Windows 7.
    Can somebody please help me out?
    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: No Sound From Speakers...

    is there a tiny red X on the volume icon ?
    if the speakers are turned off at the time of boot
    the system can set the volume to "mute"

    and / or
    run in the terminal
    Code:
    alsamixer
    and unmute the volume



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    16,344

    Default Re: No Sound From Speakers...

    I've had updates totally turn down the volume to zero. SO always check the levels

  4. #4

    Default Re: No Sound From Speakers...

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnVV View Post
    is there a tiny red X on the volume icon ?
    if the speakers are turned off at the time of boot
    the system can set the volume to "mute"

    and / or
    run in the terminal
    Code:
    alsamixer
    and unmute the volume
    Volume icon has no tiny red X and Alsamixer confirms that volume is at 100%.

  5. #5

    Default Re: No Sound From Speakers...

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    I've had updates totally turn down the volume to zero. SO always check the levels
    Don't see any problems with the volume level, both in Alsamixer and with the icon in the lower-right status bar.

  6. #6

    Default Re: No Sound From Speakers...

    a few things
    something might have gotten reset

    try
    Kickoff / computer / Yast2
    click on " sound "
    in the pop up window is your card listed

    and the KDE settings
    Kickoff / Applications / configure Desktop

    multimedia and the audio-video settings

    then run through the tests


    BUT first just double check
    Are the speakers turned ON ? and the knob is not set to ZERO



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bochum, Germany
    Posts
    3,587

    Default Re: No Sound From Speakers...

    Same here. What JohnVV said, just run Yast and logoff/on or reboot.

    Uwe


  8. #8

    Default Re: No Sound From Speakers...

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnVV View Post
    a few things
    something might have gotten reset

    try
    Kickoff / computer / Yast2
    click on " sound "
    in the pop up window is your card listed

    and the KDE settings
    Kickoff / Applications / configure Desktop

    multimedia and the audio-video settings

    then run through the tests


    BUT first just double check
    Are the speakers turned ON ? and the knob is not set to ZERO
    Thanks, JohnVV.
    Going to Kickoff -> Computer -> YaST -> Sound, I saw that my Xonar DX card was not configured. So I hit the Edit button and selected the Quick Automatic Setup option. After that I selected the card as my primary one.
    Everything seems to be working now.
    Thanks again.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •