Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: android emulator needs KVM

  1. #1

    Default android emulator needs KVM

    I am trying to run an Android emulator with Android Studio for an Android application. I receive the following error:

    emulator: ERROR: x86 emulation currently requires hardware acceleration!
    Please ensure KVM is properly installed and usable.
    CPU acceleration status: KVM is not installed on this machine (/dev/kvm is missing).

    What does OpenSUSE need installed/setup?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: android emulator needs KVM

    Quote Originally Posted by mattm3a View Post
    I am trying to run an Android emulator with Android Studio for an Android application. I receive the following error:

    emulator: ERROR: x86 emulation currently requires hardware acceleration!
    Please ensure KVM is properly installed and usable.
    CPU acceleration status: KVM is not installed on this machine (/dev/kvm is missing).

    What does OpenSUSE need installed/setup?
    kvm
    https://software.opensuse.org/package/kvm
    Code:
    sudo zypper in kvm
    ps what openSUSE version are you using as it seams kvm is missing for 13.2 but it's available for 13.1

    you can try qemu-kvm
    https://software.opensuse.org/package/qemu-kvm
    Code:
    sudo zypper in qemu-kvm

  3. #3

    Default Re: android emulator needs KVM

    I am using OpenSUSE 13.2.

    qemu-kvm (and dependencies) is not sufficient for the emulator. The same error message persists.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,862
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: android emulator needs KVM

    On Fri 13 Feb 2015 10:26:01 PM CST, mattm3a wrote:


    I am using OpenSUSE 13.2.

    qemu-kvm (and dependencies) is not sufficient for the emulator. The same
    error message persists.


    Hi
    You have enabled virtualization in you BIOS? What cpu?
    Code:
    lscpu
    lsmod|grep kvm

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.36-38-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  5. #5

    Default Re: android emulator needs KVM

    I have not done anything to the BIOS settings, but will investigate now that I know.

    lscpu
    Code:
    Architecture:          x86_64
    CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
    Byte Order:            Little Endian
    CPU(s):                4
    On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
    Thread(s) per core:    2
    Core(s) per socket:    2
    Socket(s):             1
    NUMA node(s):          1
    Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
    CPU family:            6
    Model:                 42
    Model name:            Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz
    Stepping:              7
    CPU MHz:               1158.105
    CPU max MHz:           3200.0000
    CPU min MHz:           800.0000
    BogoMIPS:              4983.95
    Virtualization:        VT-x
    L1d cache:             32K
    L1i cache:             32K
    L2 cache:              256K
    L3 cache:              3072K
    NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3
    lsmod|grep kvm
    Code:
    kvm                   501446  0

  6. #6

    Default Re: android emulator needs KVM

    Problems was virtualization needed to be enabled in BIOS. Thanks for your help.

  7. #7

    Default Re: android emulator needs KVM

    Quote Originally Posted by mattm3a View Post
    Problems was virtualization needed to be enabled in BIOS. Thanks for your help.
    FYI, also you have to do a complete power off after making the change to the BIOS configuration. A simple reboot did not cause the change in settings to take effect for me...

  8. #8

    Default Re: android emulator needs KVM

    Quote Originally Posted by mattm3a View Post
    Problems was virtualization needed to be enabled in BIOS. Thanks for your help.
    How do I enable KVM in BIOS for suse?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: android emulator needs KVM

    Quote Originally Posted by javvsha View Post
    How do I enable KVM in BIOS for suse?
    BIOS (basic input/output system) is embedded in your hardware it's not OS dependent
    usually you need to press delete or ESC or F4 after powering your pc to get in BIOS
    then find and enable virtualization

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVqbdrDB7aU

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •