Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get BackInTime to run

Default Can't get BackInTime to run

I can't get BackInTime to run correctly either as root or non-root. I have an external hard drive which is set to always mount on boot that I want to use.
    If I try to schedule my backups without using root access, when I select anacron (my PC doesn't run all day and night) and click "OK", I get the message
    Can't find anacron.
    Are you sure anacron is installed ?
    If not you should disable daily anacron backups
    I have installed cronie-anacron.
    When I try to run anacron from the command line, I get
    Absolute path to 'anacron' is '/usr/sbin/anacron', so running it may require superuser privileges (eg. root).

If I try to set up the backups as root, everything seems to go fine, but there are no regular backups running ever. BackInTime doesn't even create the cron files in cron.daily! I can only take snapshots manually, which is less convenient than just drag-and-dropping my files.

Default Re: Can't get BackInTime to run

anacron is a cron like processor so must be started as a service. I guess it would run at the system level and not the user level

I know what anacron is. This doesn't help at all.

Works fine here on 13.2 in a VM.

What distribution version are you using and what GUI? Did you use the default openSUSE Backintime packages?
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

.: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

I'm using 13.2 with KDE. Backintime is 1.0.34-3.1.9-noarch from vendor openSUSE. Same for backintime-kde. Cronie-anacron is 1.4.12-56.3.1-x86_64 from vendor openSUSE, same for cronie.

Thing is is it running as a service? It is not something you would run as a user it may need a kick start to start the service.

Cron is listed as enabled and active in the services manager, "systemctl list-unit-files" lists it as enabled. No word on anacron though.

Well cron is different it is the normal cron job super.

Cronie may be the key perhaps that needs started check in Yast-Services manager

Try firing up backintime-kde4 or backintime-gnome depending on your DE from a terminal window and it should dump error and informational messages there.

It'll also output any cron changes it tries to make and possible errors related to it. I can't replicate the problem because I simply installed the kde4 version and it works like a charm out of the box.
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

.: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Try firing up backintime-kde4 or backintime-gnome depending on your DE from a terminal window and it should dump error and informational messages there. It'll also output any cron changes it tries to make and possible errors related to it. I can't replicate the problem because I simply installed the kde4 version and it works like a charm out of the box.
    No specific error messages. The entire output following the startup message is:
    Code:
    backintime(11046) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-excel.sheet.binary.macroEnabled.12" 
    backintime(11046) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-excel.sheet.binary.macroEnabled.12" 
    backintime(11046) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-excel.addin.macroEnabled.12" 
    backintime(11046) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.slideshow.macroEnabled.12" 
    backintime(11046) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.slideshow.macroEnabled.12" 
    backintime(11046) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-excel.sheet.macroEnabled.12" 
    backintime(11046) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-excel.sheet.macroEnabled.12" 
    backintime(11046) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.presentation.macroEnabled.12" 
    backintime(11046) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.presentation.macroEnabled.12" 
    backintime(11046) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-word.template.macroEnabled.12" 
    backintime(11046) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-word.template.macroEnabled.12" 
    backintime(11046) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-excel.template.macroEnabled.12" 
    backintime(11046) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-excel.template.macroEnabled.12" 
    backintime(11046) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.template.macroEnabled.12" 
    backintime(11046) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.template.macroEnabled.12" 
    backintime(11046) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-word.document.macroEnabled.12" 
    backintime(11046) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-word.document.macroEnabled.12" 
    backintime(11046) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.slide.macroEnabled.12" 
    Check snapshot folder: /mnt/external/snapshots
    Clearing system Back In Time entries
    Clearing anacrontab
    Profile: Main profile
    Automatic backup: Daily (anacron)
    The last five lines appear upon clicking "OK" after selecting "Daily (anacron)", together with the GUI message I mentioned in the first post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast