Thread: Exiting x server

Default Exiting x server

I am running OpenSUSE 13.1 with GNOME 3.10.2. I am trying to install the NVIDIA drivers. I have tried going into run level 3 with ctrl-alt-f3 and running sudo init3, but when I try to install from there, it says the x server is still running. The reference that I have says it should be as easy as typing

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

but I do not have the gdm file in that location. I have tried finding an answer for some time now and I am getting very frustrated. Please help! I just need to exit the x server. Why is this so hard?

Also, I heard that you should be able to boot into run level 3 without ever opening the x server, but the instructions that I have found for doing this do not work. I am dual booted with Windows 8, and when I start my computer, there is no option for different run levels.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Exiting x server

Quote Originally Posted by richard_vega View Post
    I am running OpenSUSE 13.1 with GNOME 3.10.2. I am trying to install the NVIDIA drivers. I have tried going into run level 3 with ctrl-alt-f3 and running sudo init3, but when I try to install from there, it says the x server is still running.
    No need to change VT, just open a terminal and do
    Code:
    su -c 'init 3'

Blog Entries

Also, I heard that you should be able to boot into run level 3 without ever opening the x server, but the instructions that I have found for doing this do not work. I am dual booted with Windows 8, and when I start my computer, there is no option for different run levels.
    You're just not familiar with the grub2 menu or systemd perhaps. Here's a graphical guide on how to boot up into multi-user.target (formerly runlevel 3)

https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...to-Run-Level-3

BTW, you can switch to multi-user.target on the fly with
    Code:
    systemctl isolate multi-user.target
    and back to graphical.target (equivalent to runlevel 5)
    Code:
    systemctl isolate graphical.target
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 08-Feb-2015 at 00:27. Reason: Typo

To the op.
    In addtion to the above post.
    When you reach init 3, you might
    not see the login prompt. This is happening on all of my 3 machines.
    You have to use
    Code:
    Ctl-Alt-F2
    to make the login prompt appear.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

before tweaking with the kernel is there a reason you're not using the pre-build nvidia rpm's?
    anytime there is a kernel update you will have to manually recompile the nvidia drivers, the best way for a supported system to install nvidia drivers is with yast or zypper.

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

sorry for the post but a lot of people don't know that there is an easy way to get the latest nvidia drivers
    getting nvidia to run is not hard but extremely easy, enter just enter 2 commands
    Code:
    sudo zypper ar -f ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/13.1/ nvidia
    sudo zypper in x11-video-nvidiaG03
    the above is a driver for grforce 8xxxx and newer (that's before nvidia started using 3 digit version numbers)

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    before tweaking with the kernel is there a reason you're not using the pre-build nvidia rpm's?
    anytime there is a kernel update you will have to manually recompile the nvidia drivers, the best way for a supported system to install nvidia drivers is with yast or zypper.

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

sorry for the post but a lot of people don't know that there is an easy way to get the latest nvidia drivers
    getting nvidia to run is not hard but extremely easy, enter just enter 2 commands
    Code:
    sudo zypper ar -f ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/13.1/ nvidia
    sudo zypper in x11-video-nvidiaG03
    the above is a driver for grforce 8xxxx and newer (that's before nvidia started using 3 digit version numbers)
    On my part, because I don't have to wait.
    Installing the nvidia driver downloaded from nvidia is not a problem
    after a kernel update.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything