Sometimes Steam runs

I have this weird problem with Steam that sometimes it runs normally and most of the time it doesnt.
I have investigated this problem for a couple of days now with 5+ fresh installs from the openSUSE 13.2 64 DVD.
Here are my results:
Fresh install from 64 DVD with KDE, update, reboot, add packman, games, nvidia (gt430), install codecs, add user to video group, reboot.
Install Steam and run. Works fine! Play a game.
Exit Steam, restart/poweroff and i get an GUI error that Steam couldnt connect to X. Next try and gui error is not shown but in terminal shows same X error.
Using runtime 0, gives me some lib problems that after I fix give same results.
After a day or two Steam will just run, no problems. Work for that login and any exit or reboot will be a lottery.
This happens regardless of whether or not these factors are included:
Add user to games and audio group, turn off desktop effects, set nvidia-xconfig, set resolution and refresh rate from driver from auto to defaults, customise themes, fonts and other KDE related stuff.
And now the odd thing, one of my many install I went with GNOME and DIDN’T experience any problems running steam, same PC, same drivers, same config.
What can cause Steam to run once in 3~4 days on my machine?

Hi.

I have used Steam quite a lot but never experienced that one; I have two computers both on OS 13.1 with KDE running Steam, one through wine.

Could there be any processes running which were supposed to shut down when Steam was closed, but didn’t? KDE related then, if Steam on GNOME works fine.

I have to install GNOME again and mess with it to see if it will stop working in that DE. Its either KDE or something with nvidia/x.
Today I did another install of KDE played a game and now it wont run.

:~> steamRunning Steam on   64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1422054110_client)
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Assert( Assertion Failed: Could not open connection to X ):/home/buildbot/buildslave_steam/steam_rel_client_ubuntu12_linux/build/src/steamexe/./updateui_xwin.cpp:343

Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1422054110)
sh: /home/slk/.local/share/Steam/steam_msg.sh: No such file or directory
Uploading dump (out-of-process) [proxy '']
/tmp/dumps/assert_20150204181748_3.dmp
ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".
[2015-02-04 18:17:48] Startup - updater built Aug 26 2014 15:35:42
/home/buildbot/buildslave_steam/steam_rel_client_ubuntu12_linux/build/src/steamexe/./updateui_xwin.cpp (343) : Assertion Failed: Could not open connection to X
/home/buildbot/buildslave_steam/steam_rel_client_ubuntu12_linux/build/src/steamexe/./main.cpp (507) : Assertion Failed: failed to initialize update status ui, or create initial window
mv: cannot stat ‘/home/slk/.steam/registry.vdf’: No such file or directory
Installing bootstrap /home/slk/.local/share/Steam/bootstrap.tar.xz
Reset complete!
Restarting Steam by request...
Running Steam on   64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME has been set by the user to: /home/slk/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1422054110_client)
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Assert( Assertion Failed: Could not open connection to X ):/home/buildbot/buildslave_steam/steam_rel_client_ubuntu12_linux/build/src/steamexe/./updateui_xwin.cpp:343

Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1422054110)
sh: /home/slk/.local/share/Steam/steam_msg.sh: No such file or directory
Uploading dump (out-of-process) [proxy '']
/tmp/dumps/assert_20150204181749_3.dmp
ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".
[2015-02-04 18:17:49] Startup - updater built Aug 26 2014 15:35:42
/home/buildbot/buildslave_steam/steam_rel_client_ubuntu12_linux/build/src/steamexe/./updateui_xwin.cpp (343) : Assertion Failed: Could not open connection to X
/home/buildbot/buildslave_steam/steam_rel_client_ubuntu12_linux/build/src/steamexe/./main.cpp (507) : Assertion Failed: failed to initialize update status ui, or create initial window
Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = yes
response: CrashID=bp-f469e692-b7fb-4828-b921-28fb72150204
Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = yes
response: CrashID=bp-6e41c024-c528-497e-9769-d3d2b2150204

I havent installed any additional software or made any changes post Steam installation and the first time it run. No clue what process can be related.
Never had this issues on 13.1, this is 13.2

So just now after 3 hours i power on my PC doubleclick Steam and i starts. It unpacks, deletes my login and games but it starts. I have backups of games because this happens a lot.
Anyone has any ideas? Im open for anything at this point.

When you reinstalled 5+ times, did you reuse your home partition or did you reformat all partitions?

Reused /home but deleted all system files and folders

Update in my progress,
after consulting with the fine folk in #suse irc i have managed to make this issue reproducible but still not solved.
After enabling ssh and running

ssh -X localhost

Steam can run every time from terminal, shortcuts still give X error.
Another drawback is that every time it is started it unpacks the runtime and deletes steam userdata and games installed.
My next test will be to install GNOME and see if this bug exists (last time i had no problems for days). After that if all else fails I will do a full format of home and try again

Last night I installed 13.2 64 GNOME from DVD, did updates, codecs, nvidia(added video group), and last Steam which is working normally every time.
Same install process and medium as KDE but different behavior.
type command shows

~> type -a steam
steam is /usr/bin/steam
steam is /usr/bin/X11/steam

same as KDE
All hardware is the same, didnt format /home but deleted all *. files and folders
I have no explanation for this

I suppose you kept the steam dirs in your home directory?
Maybe it could be some initialising settings there which conflicts with KDE? I don’t know.

If your’e not too fed up with testing, you could try to create a new test user in KDE and then create a fresh steam set-up there?
And see how that goes.

I always delete all hidden files and folders when doing a install including .Steam and .local/Steam.
I dont hate GNOME but I will test KDE so i can come back to my favorite DE, found more people in ##opensuse-steam with similar problems.
Will report here, thx for replying

Also double check the KDE video settings.

Configure Desktop- effects -advanced should be GL3.2 and raster

Had them on 3.2, 2.x and effects off in my tests

Today I changed my GPU from nvidia gt430 to Radeon HD6570 and the problem says the same on KDE.
Gnome on nvidia worked fine i have yet to test radeon on Gnome

Im going to close this because Ive done all the tests and HW swaps I could and found a working scenario.
Tumbleweed solved the problem, Steam now starts every time on KDE 13.2 64 DVD install. I dont know why, and at this point dont have the skills to look deep into KDE to see why.
So…
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3jy9kfrDo1r15ta7.jpg
Ill show myself out

.Steam and .local/Steam contain “steamApps” folder, which contains all your games. If you delete .Steam or .local/Steam your deleting all your downloaded games, which is a waste of time if you’re doing a system reinstall because you’re obviously gonna have to download all your games again, unless you have their backup saved somewhere else like I do.

I’m also running 13.2 with KDE, but with an AMD card. I too got this error, but that happened only once. When I got it I closed that warning window and rebooted my machine. After that, never got the warning again.

BTW, the only non-free software I have installed is the AMD drivers and Steam. I don’t have somecodecs installed as I think they’re useless to me, I read the license of them all and if one is non-free (that is, non-GPL/LGPL/MIT/BSD/etc) I don’t install them.

I’m looking forward to see what’s the cause of this. This is my 1st day here in the forums so I’ll look on how to subscribe to this thread.

Regards,
Junior