How to get cube animation in KDE?

I’ve intalled openSuSE 13.2 using KDE on my desktop PC. I’d like to have cube animation which switching virtual desktops (as I have on my laptop PC using 12.2), but when I try to apply that option from my system settings I get told it’s not possible without OpenGL. I’ve been into YaST and installed every likely thing I can find that comes up when I search for OpenGL and rebooted, but no luck.

So how do I get cube animation working.

What kind of graphic card and driver do you have, compiz needs 3d acceleration aka a propitiatory driver (Nouveau will work for nvidia cards)
see this page
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_graphics_cards
and get the proper video driver

I have an nVidia GTE550 graphics cardm, and I’m using the nVidia driver, from the nVidia repository.

what about compiz, compiz-plugins, compizconfig-settings-manager and compiz-kde4?
run nvidia-settings and see if 3d acceleration is enabled.

I have an nVidia GTE550 graphics cardm, and I’m using the nVidia driver, from the nVidia repository.

Please post in Code-Tags:

/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -E -iA2 'Display|VGA|3D'

@I_A:

what about compiz, compiz-plugins and compiz-kde4?

Why compiz? It is not necessary.

here’s an old article about compiz in kde4
http://www.ghacks.net/2010/02/15/configure-kde-4-to-work-with-compiz/

I thought that compiz was the peace of software that gave us that nice cube, actually I run kde with almost all effects turned off.

edit
another article
http://www.ghacks.net/2009/05/25/enabling-the-cube-in-compiz/

is there another cube a native kde4 one?

you can try this
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=101208

compiz is for these Desktop-Effects not longer necessary.

Only 3D is necessary.

Therefore:
Is the Nvida-Driver necessary for this Graphic-Card, loading and working?

0:02.0 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0102] (rev 09)
        Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0527]
        Kernel modules: i915
--
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF114 [GeForce GTX 555] [10de:1206] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:0958]
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia

You have 2 video cards I think you need bumblebee not the vanilla nvidia drivers
ask in the hardware forums, another option is to disable the build-in intel (it’s not a card it’s part of the cpu) graphic support
ps. I’m not quite sure about this but if your monitor connects via the nvidia card does the build-in intel hardware do any video decoding, does it pass decoded data streams to nvidia, you might be better of turning it off in bios

I have “nomodeset” on the kernel command line parameter. I was told that would disable the built-in chip.

What are you suggesting that I ask in the hardware forum?

A further piece of information: I used to run openSuSE 12.2 on the same machine using slide for virtual desktop switching. This now will not work under 13.2 for, system settigs tells me, the same rewason as cube animation won’t work. This is why I suspect this is a software problem.

No, it doesn’t.
It just prevents the loading of the intel driver.

On a hybrid system, KDE runs on the intel chip, if you disable the intel driver, there is no sufficient OpenGL support (only Mesa’s software renderer, if you use that KDE automatically disables most desktop effects as they would be sloooow…).

You need to install Bumblebee to be able to use the nvidia driver without breaking the intel driver on such a hybrid system.

But just because there is a intel chip, doesn’t mean that this is a hybrid system.
Can you please post /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see which graphics card is actually used?

And another thing: for the desktop cube you need to enable Desktop Effects (Configure Desktop->Desktop Effects), and the “Compositing Type” has to be set to “OpenGL” in Configure Desktop->Desktop Effects->Advanced.

What are you suggesting that I ask in the hardware forum?

This might be a graphics driver problem, so hardware related.

I had already enabled Desktop Effects, so setting “Compositing Type” in Configure Desktop->Desktop Effects->Advanced to “OpenGL” seemed like the easiest thing to do, so I tried that first. Setting it to “OpenGL 3.1” sorted it. So thank you very much.

Bumblebee is already installed, so thanks also for the information as to what that is about.

Well, if KDE detects graphics driver problems it automatically switches back to “XRender” (which does not support the desktop cube in particular), and keeps that even if the driver is working again.
So maybe that caused your “problem”. (normally OpenGL should be used by default, if possible)

You probably should also verify that “Qt graphicssystem” is set to “Raster”. Especially with OpenGL this is faster than “Native”…

I tried that and an errors message popped up telling me that 21 desktop effects could not be loaded. So do I need to do soemthing else as well for raster to work? Faster is always better.

If yours is an optimus system you will not get as fast as the same chip set without Optimus. Optimus is a hardware kludge neither beast nor fowl. It is still uncertain to me exactly what your system is. NSA confiscated my crystal ball

ANother point is if Optimus you must NOT ever install the normal NVIDIA driver you must use only the NVIDIA-bumblebee package. If you installed the regular drivers and did NOT uninstall them before bumblebee you can have a mess to clean up

It’s not an Optimus system.

Then you do NOT want bumblebee

Disable the Intel GPU in the BIOS

Remove bumblebee ( it is only for optimus systems special hardware)

If you installed the NVIDIA-bumblebee package remove that too.

Install the normal NVIDIA package

gogalthorp, I don’t understand what you’re saying. I have the GO3 driver installed and its working. What problems do you think will happen if I have bumblebee installed? Are you saying that’s the reson I can’t choose Raster as my graphics system?