Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: transfer music to iPhone

Default transfer music to iPhone

hi,

I have an iPhone 4 and would like to transfer music from my laotop running OpenSUSE 13.2 to it. I have installed ifuse and managed to successfully mount my iPhone to ~/iphone and can access the files on it but am absolutely lost how/where to copy my music to.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.
    Ashkan

Default Re: transfer music to iPhone

If you can mount it and see it then just drag and drop. Assuming you have the right to do that. Who is the owner?

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    If you can mount it and see it then just drag and drop. Assuming you have the right to do that. Who is the owner?
    Thanks for the comment. I do have permission and access. I can drag and drop but I cannot see which folder I have to copy to. It is not like a clear directory.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashkan View Post
    Thanks for the comment. I do have permission and access. I can drag and drop but I cannot see which folder I have to copy to. It is not like a clear directory.
    Because these devices are notoriously problematic. By design they are not supposed to work.
    Basically you are supposed to get all your music from itunes and it's all kept in the icloud.
    Some device may work to some extent.
    But I never owned one and never will
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Because these devices are notoriously problematic. By design they are not supposed to work.
    Basically you are supposed to get all your music from itunes and it's all kept in the icloud.
    Some device may work to some extent.
    But I never owned one and never will
    I agree.

As for the op, this is where you will need a mac or windows.

For drag and drop it is going to be hit or miss in linux.
    I did a drag and drop on iphone 5 of an image that I was planning to use as a wallpaper.
    In linux I can see it in the iphone folder but in iphone it is hidden, it showed up
    after an iphone update. Then I tried again hoping it will work after the update but nope
    it didn't and maybe it will show-up again when another iphone update comes in the future.
    Such a long wait for one image file. This is an iphone 5 updated to the latest IOS.8.1.3.

It is an easy one way traffic I guess. You can drag and drop from iphone to linux
    no problem, but not the other way.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    I agree.

As for the op, this is where you will need a mac or windows.

For drag and drop it is going to be hit or miss in linux.
    I did a drag and drop on iphone 5 of an image that I was planning to use as a wallpaper.
    In linux I can see it in the iphone folder but in iphone it is hidden, it showed up
    after an iphone update. Then I tried again hoping it will work after the update but nope
    it didn't and maybe it will show-up again when another iphone update comes in the future.
    Such a long wait for one image file. This is an iphone 5 updated to the latest IOS.8.1.3.

It is an easy one way traffic I guess. You can drag and drop from iphone to linux
    no problem, but not the other way.
    Exactly, I can easily drag and drop images from iPhone to my linux but I cannot even find the music I already have on it. I used to be a Mac user but decided to completely switch to linux. Well, it comes with a price ;-)
    Honestly, I would like to find a solution in linux rather than do it in my Mac

You are dealing with proprietary formats. Also they tend to change stuff often, That is the cost of using proprietary software.

Blog Entries

I had opportunity to work with some friends who use MAC and they are beautiful. But honestly, they are so tied to everything in their own little world, the icloud and all that, it's just crazy. I was downloading a .mp4 video on my Android phone, but their iphone couldn't do it, didn't even have the option
    It seems there is no dedicated storage on the actual phone...

I spent 2 days just, doing a clean install and update of windows for someone. Please... 2 days. I takes me about 2 hours with openSUSE, max.

As it is, I have no trouble using Linux as my main OS and Android with my cell phone.

My Son once bought an iphone. That didn't last long.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    I had opportunity to work with some friends who use MAC and they are beautiful. But honestly, they are so tied to everything in their own little world, the icloud and all that, it's just crazy. I was downloading a .mp4 video on my Android phone, but their iphone couldn't do it, didn't even have the option
    It seems there is no dedicated storage on the actual phone...

I spent 2 days just, doing a clean install and update of windows for someone. Please... 2 days. I takes me about 2 hours with openSUSE, max.

As it is, I have no trouble using Linux as my main OS and Android with my cell phone.

My Son once bought an iphone. That didn't last long.
    Heh, you're right on target.
    I am using android too, a samsung galaxy camera with wifi & option for simcard.
    Yep it has a 64 gig micro memory exfat card. A handy dandy for my needs
    to & fro linux.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

I absolutely agree with you guys. I used to be in love with my Apple world but decided to burst the buble and see the world from linux eyes ;-)
    Mac is great and has very nice programs but as said, it ties you up to Apple products... Time to be slave to no one anymore :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast