Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keyboard Shortcuts - for other than ordinary programs or files

Default Keyboard Shortcuts - for other than ordinary programs or files

I rely on keyboard shortcuts, and have successfully created several of them.

However, I would really like to have shortcuts for Dolphin and the terminal, but I don't know how to identify their files.

Or, are they really run by "files" anyway? If they are, where are they located?

I would like to be able to invoke them with a single operation when I have other things open already.

Also, is it possible to have a shortcut to a Google Doc? I have a shortcut to Google itself, but when I try to go straight to something in the Drive, it just acts dead.

Thank you!
    openSUSE 13.2 with KDE 4.14.4 and Plasma 4
    + Windows 7 with Firefox dual-boot on a strong but aging desktop computer

Default Re: Keyboard Shortcuts - for other than ordinary programs or files

Configure Desktop>Custom shortcuts and gestures>Custom shortcuts>Examples has an example for Konsole. That may give you a start.

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    Configure Desktop>Custom shortcuts and gestures>Custom shortcuts>Examples has an example for Konsole. That may give you a start.
    Control + Alt + T was the first one I tried, of course, hoping that it was activated by default.

In the above example you cited, the "Examples" and the "Konsole" were both listed, but grayed-out and inactive.

edit - never mind! I got it to work

Thanks!

As a general rule (note there are exceptions) you can do it from the menu editor. Right click menu icon select edit application. nav to the application you want to set a hot key on select advanced tab and set key

For Widgets select settings the wrench and set hot key.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    As a general rule (note there are exceptions) you can do it from the menu editor. Right click menu icon select edit application. nav to the application you want to set a hot key on select advanced tab and set key
    That would be ideal.

For example, I would like for the Libreoffice spreadsheet to be Control+Alt+Q

When I right-click, I get:

Add to Desktop
    Add to Panel
    Add to Favorites
    Uninstall

I selected "Add to Panel" and now I have an icon in what I have previously called the tray. In "Icon Settings > Command" I was able to make my keyboard shortcut work (although it does not appear to show it that way in the menu).

I can live with that, although I would prefer that it stay clean. What I really want is the keyboard shortcut, without any extraneous icons showing except when the program is active.

Is there a way to clean up the Panel (that is the "tray" isn't it?) but leave the keyboard shortcut intact?

Thanks!

I assumed KDE are you in Gnome?? Also I don't use the default menu I hate it I use the older menu Too many clicks need to select. It feels like I'm in Windows with that one. But I thought the new style menu still had the edit function.

Quote Originally Posted by fohat View Post
    When I right-click, I get:

Add to Desktop
    Add to Panel
    Add to Favorites
    Uninstall
    You have to right-click on the Kickoff icon itself and then choose "Edit Applications..." to open the menu editor, or run "kmenuedit".
    In the menu editor you can assign a keyboard shortcut to each entry.

See also: https://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kde-w...roduction.html

Great! Thanks!

I can get the keyboard shortcuts I want now.

But the earlier question remains:

How do I get rid of the scanner icon and spreadsheet icon in the tray?

When I right-click and get the option "Remove this Panel" I am afraid that it will take away the whole tray.

(I wish that I could point an arrow at the icons I am referring to, but Gimp does not include arrows and I can't figure out how to install the plug-in)

General rule right click them. These are running program so then quit them. Also some need a bit of a bosty so right click a clear space you should see a menu with System tray setting. You can determine what runs in the tray there

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    General rule right click them. These are running program so then quit them. Also some need a bit of a bosty so right click a clear space you should see a menu with System tray setting. You can determine what runs in the tray there
    Great! Thank you! That worked.

However, now the clock and cluster of small icons has moved to the left-center of the panel, and even though they are supposedly unlocked, I cannot move them back to the right. Niether dragging them nor selecting right-justify seems to "take", they just snap back to where they want to be.

In general, I am finding it relatively easy to do things like this in openSUSE, but exceedingly difficult to un-do them. Why are there so many right-clicks that offer an "Add" option but no corresponding "Remove" option?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast