Keyboard Shortcuts - for other than ordinary programs or files

I rely on keyboard shortcuts, and have successfully created several of them.

However, I would really like to have shortcuts for Dolphin and the terminal, but I don’t know how to identify their files.

Or, are they really run by “files” anyway? If they are, where are they located?

I would like to be able to invoke them with a single operation when I have other things open already.

Also, is it possible to have a shortcut to a Google Doc? I have a shortcut to Google itself, but when I try to go straight to something in the Drive, it just acts dead.

Thank you!

Configure Desktop>Custom shortcuts and gestures>Custom shortcuts>Examples has an example for Konsole. That may give you a start.

Control + Alt + T was the first one I tried, of course, hoping that it was activated by default.

In the above example you cited, the “Examples” and the “Konsole” were both listed, but grayed-out and inactive.

edit - never mind! I got it to work

Thanks!

As a general rule (note there are exceptions) you can do it from the menu editor. Right click menu icon select edit application. nav to the application you want to set a hot key on select advanced tab and set key

For Widgets select settings the wrench and set hot key.

That would be ideal.

For example, I would like for the Libreoffice spreadsheet to be Control+Alt+Q

When I right-click, I get:

Add to Desktop
Add to Panel
Add to Favorites
Uninstall

I selected “Add to Panel” and now I have an icon in what I have previously called the tray. In “Icon Settings > Command” I was able to make my keyboard shortcut work (although it does not appear to show it that way in the menu).

I can live with that, although I would prefer that it stay clean. What I really want is the keyboard shortcut, without any extraneous icons showing except when the program is active.

Is there a way to clean up the Panel (that is the “tray” isn’t it?) but leave the keyboard shortcut intact?

Thanks!

I assumed KDE are you in Gnome?? Also I don’t use the default menu I hate it I use the older menu Too many clicks need to select. It feels like I’m in Windows with that one. But I thought the new style menu still had the edit function.

You have to right-click on the Kickoff icon itself and then choose “Edit Applications…” to open the menu editor, or run “kmenuedit”.
In the menu editor you can assign a keyboard shortcut to each entry.

See also: Chapter 1. Introduction

Great! Thanks!

I can get the keyboard shortcuts I want now.

But the earlier question remains:

How do I get rid of the scanner icon and spreadsheet icon in the tray?

When I right-click and get the option “Remove this Panel” I am afraid that it will take away the whole tray.

http://i.imgur.com/en86QBZ.png

(I wish that I could point an arrow at the icons I am referring to, but Gimp does not include arrows and I can’t figure out how to install the plug-in)

General rule right click them. These are running program so then quit them. Also some need a bit of a bosty so right click a clear space you should see a menu with System tray setting. You can determine what runs in the tray there

Great! Thank you! That worked.

However, now the clock and cluster of small icons has moved to the left-center of the panel, and even though they are supposedly unlocked, I cannot move them back to the right. Niether dragging them nor selecting right-justify seems to “take”, they just snap back to where they want to be.

In general, I am finding it relatively easy to do things like this in openSUSE, but exceedingly difficult to un-do them. Why are there so many right-clicks that offer an “Add” option but no corresponding “Remove” option?

LOL could not say did not write the software :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe they want it hard to remove by accident

Any how it really is not that hard you just have to get the feel for it.

With the widgets unlocked you should see the cashew on the right this will give you some tools to move and re size things With extra bar that up hover over a icons and it should show some arrows to allow moving re size what ever. Also give you the remove/delete options on a right click over the icon with the cashew bar up.

Hard to explain easier to show. There used to be some nice video tutorials on the KDE site.

Widgets always align to the left.
You probably removed the task manager or the whole system tray, those take all space they can get and therefore push other widgets to the right edge.
So add that back, and you should be able to have icons “aligned to the right” again.
Or add a “spacer” widget to push them to the right.

If in doubt, please post a screenshot, so we can see what is missing.

Oh, and you can only move widgets in the panel when the “toolbox” is active, i.e. when you clicked on the “cashew”/toolbox icon on the right edge of the panel.

In general, I am finding it relatively easy to do things like this in openSUSE, but exceedingly difficult to un-do them. Why are there so many right-clicks that offer an “Add” option but no corresponding “Remove” option?

It was easy to remove widgets in earlier versions (by just right-clicking on them and select “Remove”).
Many people accidentally removed their task manager or system tray widgets and then complained about this broken KDE, so this has been made harder.

In messing around, I was able to move the clock back to the right corner (the clock is a “widget”, right? I can change the size of the clock but I cannot seem to change the size of the date under it), but it is hidden and I cannot seem to bring it forward. I don’t know how I got there, I was fumbling.

At some point I saw that I had the “Task Manager” active but I can’t figure out how to get it back. People refer to “the Toolbox” but where is it?
The “cashew” at the right says “Desktop Icons” and offers some settings that do not do what I need. Pretty much the same as right-clicking in the tray, as far as I can tell.

The little cluster of icons that show just right of center (am I using the right terminology? I know that is clumsy and I am awkward) has moved part-way back to its original position.

I hate to be a nuisance.

I Google my problems first before I come here, and I have 3 books Unix/Linux/SUSE that I also refer to if I can, but these Desktop (KDE? Plasma?) problems are not so easy to track down.

Thanks again.

PS - is there a way to post a photo directly? or do I always have to go through something like Imgur?

You created a separate clock widget on your desktop (or dragged the one from the panel to the desktop).
As the panel is on top of everything, the clock stays below it.

Grab it and drop it onto the panel to make it part of the panel again. If that doesn’t work for some reason, just remove it, click on the panel’s toolbox icon (the “cashew” on the right end), click on “Add Widgets” and doubleclick on the “Digital Clock”.

At some point I saw that I had the “Task Manager” active but I can’t figure out how to get it back. People refer to “the Toolbox” but where is it?

“The Toolbox” is the panel’s settings. You can open it by clicking on the icon at the right end of the panel (the “cashew” or "toolbox icon).

The “cashew” at the right says “Desktop Icons” and offers some settings that do not do what I need. Pretty much the same as right-clicking in the tray, as far as I can tell.

The thing that says “Desktop Icons” is the desktop’s toolbox icon/cashew. Right-clicking on it gives you the same menu as right-clicking anywhere else on the desktop will give you, and left-clicking on it opens the desktop’s toolbox menu. Definitely not the same as right-clicking on the tray.

The little cluster of icons that show just right of center (am I using the right terminology? I know that is clumsy and I am awkward) has moved part-way back to its original position.

Those “cluster of icons” is the “system tray”. Applications can add icons there as long as they are running.
It is not fully at the right, because you removed the taskmanager, i.e. the widget that shows all open windows and let’s you switch between applications.
Again, either add back the task manager widget to the panel, or add a “Spacer”. You can do both by left-clicking on the toolbox icon on the right edge of the panel.

See here for video tutorials on how to use plasma:
https://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/HowTo/4.5
In particular, here’s a video how you add a widget to the panel:
https://userbase.kde.org/images.userbase/f/f0/Plasma_howto-widget-panel-add-45.gif (this uses drag-and-drop, but double-clicking works as well)

And there’s a manual in the KDE Helpcenter as well (choose “Help” in the K-Menu).

PS - is there a way to post a photo directly? or do I always have to go through something like Imgur?

Yes, the forum doesn’t allow to host pictures directly.
But KDE has a “pastebin” widget that makes this easier… :wink:

The text of the clock is controlled by the clock settings.Most things in KDE are widgets. All are vector drawn. Being vector object they all have infinite size adjustment unlike bitmaps

Any way right click desktop. Unlock widgets then select add widgets there you will find all any control you can imagine

Thank you, this finally worked.

But it took a dozen tries, and taking everything out and putting it all back, piece-by-piece, several times.

The Task Manager kept wanting to come in to the right of the clock and System Tray, over and over, and insist on staying there, until finally it didn’t.

I am pleased for now, but perplexed that I can’t tell what I did to finally turn the trick.

LOL well I said you have to get used to it. It truly is not that hard :stuck_out_tongue:

There are a lot of “clock settings” and I see that I can choose different fonts for the digital clock, and make them bold or italic.

The size that is presented is acceptable, although I would appreciate being able to bump it up one size.

However, the long-date calendar under the digital clock is very small and I can’t see any way to change the size or the font.
Even simply making it bold would be a help.

You are right you can’t do that unless you make the clock bigger . It is one of those thing it would be nice to be able to adjust. If you change the height of the panel can make small differences but not as you might expect. Maybe suggest it to the KDE guys.

OK, where do I send it?

Mostly off-topic, but how do I find out which verions of Linux, KDE, and Plasma are currently installed?

And is there any equivalent to Windows Device Manager where I can get a concise list of what hardware is hooked up?