Skype - camera not recognised

I´m running openSUSE 12.3 64 bit on Gnome 3.6.2 desktop dual booted with W8.1 on a Medion Akoya laptop with i3 3120 CPU x 4.
Using Skype I´ve recently experienced audio issues with the audio cutting in and out. However that has corrected itself. But now the inbuilt laptop camera is not recognised.
I´ve had no problems with Skype since the installation of openSUSE 12.3 in Sept 2013 until later 2104 when the audio issue commenced, now followed by the camera issue
Would appreciate any suggestions as to how this can be rectified.

some ideas
run skype from the console and see if there are any errors reported, create a new user from yast maybe an old configuration file is messing with skype (your camera), I’m not sure what skype uses for video encoding but see if packman is seat as the default system repository (in yast) if it’s not set it and update video codecs.

I_A Your talking a launage I don´t understand. What do you mean by run Skype in console? :slight_smile:

open a console and type skype

that will start it on the command line and any problems should be reported on the console that may not be visible in the GUI

It is a simple debug technique and will reporter any missing libraries or other problems.

Open console typed skype

Skype loaded normally, no error message. :expressionless:

Repository has an item titled Games and a series of openSUSE titles but nothing related to packman.

How do I install packman to the repository? :slight_smile:

packman is a repository
https://en.opensuse.org/Additional_package_repositories#Packman
you can add packman to your list of repo’s using the console (konsole in kde) by doing this

sudo zypper ar -f -n packman http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_12.3/

and set packman as the system repo (it has video and audio codecs support including xvid, mp3, h264, aac …)

sudo zypper dup --from packman

or from yast goto software repositories click add, then select Comunity Reposetories…, select packman from the list, next launch software managment select reposetory view, then packman and click the link (button) use as system reposetory. see pic below (but you’ll select pacman)

now when you search for software in yast you will get resolts from packman too.

FYI you can use copy/paste in konsole for the lazy that don’t like to type.
just select text rightclick copy
in konsole use SHIFT+INS or rightclick and select paste
:stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like this could be the solution to a few other issues. However the 1st line of code generates the following message:

If only one argument is used, it must be a URI pointing to a .repo file.
etc etc. plus a string of command options: :slight_smile:

I´m using the Gnome desktop, and console appears to react differently than konsole to copy/paste commands. Can´t do anything with highlighted text, other than delete the highlighing!!

Then just type it it is not that hard a string.

You might try ctrl-v as the paste but I don’t run Gnome so…

that should work, try it from yast, afaik you can use shift+ins for paste on all terminal windows
try this

sudo zypper ar -f -n http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_12.3/ packman

btw can you show us your repo’s

sudo zypper lr

What graphic card do you have, do you have the commercial nvidia/adi drivers?