Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: broken updates? apper screw up?

Default broken updates? apper screw up?

Either yesterday or the day before, can't remember which, I ran some updates with apper and, like richardstevenhack was unable to update after that...apper just sat there. Unlike him, however, I was unable to perform the four updates with either YaST or zypper on the command line. YaST shows the four updates for dbus, elfutils, sysconfig and libqt5-qtbase in the left column, but on the right side some of the packages for each patch are marked with the "keep" symbol while others are marked with the "autodelete" symbol. Well, no matter, I figure, YaST can sort it out and I try to run the updates. All four of them will fail with a message like
    Code:
     Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: package sysconfig-netconfig-0.83.7-1.1.x86_64 is not installed
    but obviously different package names depending on which patch (note that version 0.83.7-1.1 of that package is the outdated one), with the option to "Ignore", "Abort" or "Retry". Retry comes back with the same result, ignore looks like it is working but after it's done nothing is different, and abort just stops the process so nothing is changed. Zypper is even more confused: zypper lu says "No updates found", zypper up says "Nothing to do" yet zypper pchk says "4 patches needed (2 security patches)". Apper at this point fails with the same error as YaST, instead of just sitting there like it did before.

When I look at the "Software Management" portion of YaST, for the troubled packages under the version tabs I see multiple versions "installed" (e.g. for sysconfig-netconfig there is
    Code:
    0.83.8-5.1.x86_64 from vendor openSUSE (installed)
    0.83.7-1.1.x86_64 from vendor openSUSE (installed)
    I've tried to uninstall the packages using YaST and tell it to "break package X and ignore the dependencies" just to see if I can get the package off the system and re-install it fresh, but it comes up with the same error that the package isn't installed, and given the three available options nothing will actually "uninstall" the offending packages. What is going on and what can I do? And yes, I've tried zypper clean, zypper refresh and rebooting, no change with those. Thanks for the help.

Default Re: broken updates? apper screw up?

And the openSUSE version is ............?
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    And the openSUSE version is ............?
    Ah, forgot that: 13.2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poorboywilly View Post
    I've tried to uninstall the packages using YaST and tell it to "break package X and ignore the dependencies" just to see if I can get the package off the system and re-install it fresh, but it comes up with the same error that the package isn't installed, and given the three available options nothing will actually "uninstall" the offending packages. What is going on and what can I do? And yes, I've tried zypper clean, zypper refresh and rebooting, no change with those. Thanks for the help.
    I allowed Apper to be installed. However, I prevented its automatic startup in KDE

"Configure Desktop" --> "Startup and Shutdown" --> "Service Manager"

and uncheck the box for "Apper".

On some systems, I also opened "System Tray Settings" (right click on tray), and unchecked "Software Updater". The plan was to only use Yast online update and zypper on those systems.

On a system where I did not uncheck "Software Updater", I ran into the same problems you had. So I then unchecked "Software Updater". (I think that is called "closing the barn door after the horses have escaped).

I am still using "Software Updater" on my only 13.1 system, where it has not run into the same problems.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Maybe the space in the name problem. I believe the solution is to force a zypper and rpm install. It is a chicken and egg problem an earlier update broke things and you can't update until the break is fixed. There are several threads on it here

this appear to be the fix

zypper in rpm zypper

Then;
    zypper ref
    zypper up

For what it's worth (not much, I know), I couldn't get anything to fix the problem so I figured out how to use snapper, rolled back to a snapshot prior to when any problems were happening, and then used YaST to update packages to current. No problem now, everything is current and I'm not seeing anything about multiple versions installed in the versions tab like I was before.

And yes, disabling apper after the problem is definitely "closing the barn door after the cows are loose" . I've been using apper ever since it was first integrated (three versions now?) and it has never worked right. Thus far, however, my only problems have been that it won't actually listen to how often you tell it to check for updates, seemingly always checking every hour unless there are actual updates, then it will not tell you about them, various UI problems and the near constant "unknown role" problem which prevents you from knowing any detailed information about a patch to be installed. Now I've actually had a system stability problem where something in the package management got screwy which I could not fix without going back in time essentially.

The problems with apper have been annoying enough so far, but this one will probably make me stop using it. It's amazing that after three versions most of the forum here still recommends uninstalling it (as well as the wiki page). And yes, I know that I can't say with surety that apper is definitely what broke my system in the first place here.

On 2015-01-26 22:06, poorboywilly wrote:

> The problems with apper have been annoying enough so far, but this one
    > will probably make me stop using it. It's amazing that after three
    > versions most of the forum here still recommends uninstalling it (as
    > well as the 'wiki page'

This particular problem I don't think you should blame apper that soon.

This my theory:

The problem fault is with certain packages. It triggers with apper
    because apper, being automatic, finds the updates earlier than
    YaST/Zypper, which have to be called manually.

There was a bad package, that had to be removed, modified, and then it
    was reissued. If you chanced to update to the first version, your system
    breaks, badly. So quickly aplying updates is what made the problem to
    your system, not using apper. Or not exactly.

Experienced admins and users do not want apper because they, we, want to
    be in control, and know how to do it.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Quote Originally Posted by poorboywilly View Post
    For what it's worth (not much, I know), I couldn't get anything to fix the problem so I figured out how to use snapper, rolled back to a snapshot prior to when any problems were happening, and then used YaST to update packages to current. No problem now, everything is current and I'm not seeing anything about multiple versions installed in the versions tab like I was before.

I've been using apper ever since it was first integrated (three versions now?) and it has never worked right.
    So have I, for at least four releases, and almost exclusively for all updates (where a vendor change is not required). It's always worked here to install those updates. It also works on Tumbleweed (e.g used when packman updates alone appear), but otherwise there it is not the correct update method.

Thus far, however, my only problems have been that it won't actually listen to how often you tell it to check for updates, seemingly always checking every hour unless there are actual updates, then it will not tell you about them, various UI problems and the near constant "unknown role" problem which prevents you from knowing any detailed information about a patch to be installed.
    Mine is set to check daily, and AFAICT that is how it operates on 13.1 release (used for its longer term support). On 13.2 release, Apper has installed all its updates correctly, but it's only run as a default version in a VM and not every day. It doesn't appear to be checking hourly, but not a good example for that.

I agree the "unknown role" message [seen on 13.2] is totally unhelpful for any normal user. However on reviewing three openSUSE updates today, that message appeared once but clicking individual updates did produce details about the update. The behaviour is somewhat odd.

It's amazing that after three versions most of the forum here still recommends uninstalling it (as well as the wiki page). And yes, I know that I can't say with surety that apper is definitely what broke my system in the first place here.
    Amazing and not true or at best an exaggeration. Some remove it, some of those recommend removal and some just post what they do to remove it, but overall only a few regulars take each opportunity to post about its removal.

It's unlikely that Apper broke your system - the first patch did that.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

On 2015-01-27 19:16, consused wrote:
    >
    > poorboywilly;2691442 Wrote:

> Amazing and not true or at best an exaggeration. Some remove it, some of
    > those recommend removal and some just post what they do to remove it,
    > but overall only a few regulars take each opportunity to post about its
    > removal.

I should say that I don't think it is broken, or a "bad thing"™. I
    remove it simply because I don't like it :-)

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Unhappy Re: broken updates? apper screw up?

I am having a similar problem.

Upon attempting an update with zypper, it complains:
    Code:
    Installation of crystal-2.2.1-27.40 failed:
    Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/lib64 /kde4/kwin3_crystal.so;5612d53f: cpio: open
    error: crystal-2.2.1-27.40.x86_64: install failed
    error: crystal-2.2.1-27.39.x86_64: erase skipped
    I did "zypper clean", "zypper refresh" attempted the update again; yet I still get the same error.

When I attempt to install a package manually I get:
    Code:
    TuxBox:~ # zypper install GimpResourcesThumbnailer
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Resolving package dependencies...

The following NEW package is going to be installed:
      GimpResourcesThumbnailer

1 new package to install.
    Overall download size: 28.8 KiB. Already cached: 0 B  After the operation, additional 72.1 KiB will be used.
    Continue? [y/n/? shows all options] (y):
    Retrieving package GimpResourcesThumbnailer-2.1.2-1.39.x86_64                                                                                 (1/1),  28.8 KiB ( 72.1 KiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: GimpResourcesThumbnailer-2.1.2-1.39.x86_64.rpm .....................................................................................................[done (64.2 KiB/s)]
    Checking for file conflicts: ................................................................................................................................................[done]
    (1/1) Installing: GimpResourcesThumbnailer-2.1.2-1.39 ......................................................................................................................[error]
    Installation of GimpResourcesThumbnailer-2.1.2-1.39 failed:
    Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/lib64/kde4/gimpresourcesthumbnail.so;5612e9f4: cpio: open
    error: GimpResourcesThumbnailer-2.1.2-1.39.x86_64: install failed
    Regardless of what package I attempt to manually install, the attempt fails. The other type of error I get looks like:
    Code:
    TuxBox:~ # zypper install nano
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Resolving package dependencies...

The following 2 NEW packages are going to be installed:
      nano nano-lang

The following recommended package was automatically selected:
      nano-lang

2 new packages to install.
    Overall download size: 550.0 KiB. Already cached: 0 B  After the operation, additional 2.2 MiB will be used.
    Continue? [y/n/? shows all options] (y):
    Retrieving package nano-2.3.6-1.1.x86_64                                                                                                      (1/2), 317.2 KiB (982.2 KiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: nano-2.3.6-1.1.x86_64.rpm .........................................................................................................................[done (972.4 KiB/s)]
    Retrieving package nano-lang-2.3.6-1.1.noarch                                                                                                 (2/2), 232.8 KiB (  1.2 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: nano-lang-2.3.6-1.1.noarch.rpm ....................................................................................................................[done (765.3 KiB/s)]
    Checking for file conflicts: ................................................................................................................................................[done]
    (1/2) Installing: nano-2.3.6-1.1 ...........................................................................................................................................[error]
    Installation of nano-2.3.6-1.1 failed:
    Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/bin/nano;5612eb80: cpio: open failed - No such file or directory
    error: nano-2.3.6-1.1.x86_64: install failed
    I read gogalthorp's post. I compared the executable /bin/rpm on the failing system to a known-good copy on a properly functioning system, and they are identical.

I am using openSUSE 13.2 on x86_64
    I am quite baffled on this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast