Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Install Google Earth

Default How to Install Google Earth

I have tried to install Google Earth several times by various methods.

The default suggestion seems to be the "Apper" installer but I have also tried downloading it.

For whatever reason, the Yast software manager seems to ignore it, and I can't find my way around it.

And I always seem to end up at the dreaded "Your current backend does not support installing files."

What is the preferred method for downloading "outside" applications in openSUSE? Simple, step-by-step, please.

http://www.google.com/earth/download...inux_dl=rpm_64

Thank you.

Default Re: How to Install Google Earth

Totally depends on the app there is no one way to do it. Each should come with instructions.

Been a while since I installed GE but it came as an installer which you simply run. But you do have to follow instruction one of which is to change permissions so that the file can be run.

A downloaded files does not default have run permission. You have to explicitly tell it to allow running of the file. From a GUI nav to the file right click select properties - permissions and tick the allow run box. If you own the file or have the correct permissions it will change.

By default GE is installed in the users home not as a system program so if multiple users you must install for each

I would give their repo a shot (this is the 64bit) http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/rpm/stable/x86_64
    openSUSE Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5 & KDE 4.14.x, pretty current proprietary Nvidia drivers (self-compiled)

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post

You have to explicitly tell it to allow running of the file. From a GUI nav to the file right click select properties - permissions and tick the allow run box. If you own the file or have the correct permissions it will change.
    I did exactly this but there was nothing resembling "allow run" to be found.

Would you please assume that I am a complete idiot and tell me step-by-step?

I know where to find the .rpm file in the "downloads" folder.

LOL thought I did

navigate to the installer you downloaded right click it select properties. Select permission tab about 1/2 way down you will see is executable. Check that box

Now open a konsole navigate to that file type .\thefilenamehee
    of course replace thefilenamehere with the name of the file to run

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post

navigate to the installer you downloaded right click it select properties. Select permission tab about 1/2 way down you will see is executable. Check that box
    Please bear with me. I did not download an installer, unless it came in without my knowledge. What is an installer?

When I click on the appropriate file on the Google Earth site, it immediately asks me whether I wanted to open the file with the Apper Installer or to download it. I have done both, several times each. Either way, I get the "backend does not support" message.

When I later try "open with Ark" it temporarily looks more promising because I am able to go a couple of more steps before getting trapped in a quagmire of "file already exists" loops.

The file is /home/Harry/Downloads/google-earth-stable_current_x86_64.rpm

Quote Originally Posted by fohat View Post
    Navigate to that file in Dolphin, right click it, point at "Open With", then click "Install/Remove Software". You will then be asked for your root password so YaST can run.
    Howard

Unhappy Re: How to Install Google Earth

Ok looks like Google has changed things (surprise) since I last installed it

If you have and know where the rpm file you downloaded is you can install with an rpm command. Or you can point zypper to it. Problem seems to be that apper is broken on your machine. Others have reported this also (you have done updates right?)

In any case there is more then one way to do it

here is one

As root in the directory that the rpm is in

rpm -i nameoffile.rpm

You can see all the rpm option with

man rpm

Another is

zypper install fullpathtotherpmfile

Again you can see all zypper option with

man zypper

Hope you are seeing a pattern here

The advantage with zypper is it resolves and if possible fixes an package dependencies that might be needed. With rpm it will just tell you some lib is need if required.

Blog Entries

You could install with
    Code:
    sudo zypper in /home/Harry/Downloads/google-earth-stable_current_x86_64.rpm

For what it is worth the 7.1 version crashed here but I did advanced setup on the web page and selected the 7.0 version and it down loaded like I remembered as an install script not a rpm and it worked fine,

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast