Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KWin crash - KDE Login no longer possible. How to recover without new installation?

Default KWin crash - KDE Login no longer possible. How to recover without new installation?

On my desktop, I now have OpenSuse 13.2 / KDE 4.11.14, having switched from Gnome.

I was using Yast to update software packages and the Kwin crashed. I am now unable to reach the KDE login screen, the best I can do is reach the Linux login.
    (Note: my repos are the 'standard' ones plus OBS Libreoffice and GnomeApps)

Does anyone know what I should do to recover this situation, i.e what information I should supply from the command line, what corrections I should make from there?

Default Re: KWin crash - KDE Login no longer possible. How to recover without new installation?

Login as root, zypper ref && zypper up && zypper ve

Most likely some packages were installed but depend on libraries or other files that weren't properly updated.

It's possible that rpm database may have been corrupted during the crash as well, so if zypper is unable to install packages, run; rpm --rebuilddb
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

.: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

Default Re: KWin crash - KDE Login no longer possible. How to recover without new installation?

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Login as root, zypper ref && zypper up && zypper ve
    Not sure if all went well. There was an error message that the debug repo url was wrong. (I have no debug repos in my repo list)

It's possible that rpm database may have been corrupted during the crash as well, so if zypper is unable to install packages, run; rpm --rebuilddb
    I'm getting many messages that there is 'no space left on the device'. (I had allocated 12GB for the system, of which about 9.5GB had been used since I last looked, i.e. before installing KDE4)

Quote Originally Posted by hnimmo View Post
    I'm getting many messages that there is 'no space left on the device'. (I had allocated 12GB for the system, of which about 9.5GB had been used since I last looked, i.e. before installing KDE4)
    df -h

Should reveal secrets to you about the disk usage. I'm guessing your / (root partition) is full. That would certainly cause all sorts of nasty issues.

df -h

Should reveal secrets to you about the disk usage. I'm guessing your / (root partition) is full. That would certainly cause all sorts of nasty issues.
    My / partition is 100% used. What now? I know that with gparted, I could reduce the size of the /home partition, shift it to the right, and then grow the root partition accordingly. But how does that work from the command line?

If you have access to 13.2 LiveCD you can use that to resize the partitions as well - the LiveCD includes gparted (Thank you devs for that). Resizing a live file system unless it's BTRFS isn't going to be something I recommend.

It's possible that there are lots of cached files in the system so you could try zypper clean and then systemctl restart xdm to see if you can get to X - although if it crashed during an update, it's most likely not going to, also /tmp might have lots of files and /var/log might have insanely large files as well - I would examine those as well.

Is the root partition btrfs? Maybe the snapshots are taking insane amount of space.

My / partition is 100% used. What now? I know that with gparted, I could reduce the size of the /home partition, shift it to the right, and then grow the root partition accordingly. But how does that work from the command line?
    The first action should not be to enlarge that root partition, but to find out what is filling it up.

Emptying /tmp is one of the first things you could do.

When that is not realy helping, you can use
    Code:
    du -sk /*
    to see if one of the directories there is far to large. Then go there to check further downwards
    Code:
    du -sk/suspect-directory/*
    How large is that root partition? So we can assess if it is unusual to be full or not.

And of course Miuku's advice.
    Henk van Velden

If you have access to 13.2 LiveCD you can use that to resize the partitions as well - the LiveCD includes gparted (Thank you devs for that). Resizing a live file system unless it's BTRFS isn't going to be something I recommend.

It's possible that there are lots of cached files in the system so you could try zypper clean and then systemctl restart xdm to see if you can get to X - although if it crashed during an update, it's most likely not going to, also /tmp might have lots of files and /var/log might have insanely large files as well - I would examine those as well.

Is the root partition btrfs? Maybe the snapshots are taking insane amount of space.
    1. Root partition is 12GB. Is that bigger or smaller than recommended?
    2. Root partition is btrfs, home is ext4.
    2. Is it safe to clear out /tmp completely?

1. Root partition is 12GB. Is that bigger or smaller than recommended?
    2. Root partition is btrfs, home is ext4.
    2. Is it safe to clear out /tmp completely?
    1. Smaller, the default is 20GB, but I have less then 6GB used of my 20, thus when you did not
    install an execessive number of exxtr software, 12GB should be enough.

2. Btrfs has the habit of creating snapshots that can fill up your disk, but that does not show in the % used.

3. It should. I have it cleaned at every boot. On other systems (with a larger memory) I have it as tmpfs and thus cleared at shutdown.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Default Re: KWin crash - KDE Login no longer possible. How to recoverwithout new installation?

On Wed 07 Jan 2015 01:16:01 PM CST, hcvv wrote:

hnimmo;2687769 Wrote:
    > My / partition is 100% used. What now? I know that with gparted, I
    > could reduce the size of the /home partition, shift it to the right,
    > and then grow the root partition accordingly. But how does that work
    > from the command line?

The first action should not be to enlarge that root partition, but to
    find out what is filling it up.

Emptying /tmp is one of the first things you could do.

When that is not realy helping, you can use

Code:
    --------------------
    du -sk /*
    --------------------

to see if one of the directories there is far to large. Then go there to
    check further downwards

Code:
    --------------------
    du -sk/suspect-directory/*
    --------------------

How large is that root partition? So we can assess if it is unusual to
    be full or not.

And of course Miuku's advice.

Hi
    Just a note, du on /.snapshot will be missleading on btrfs, and df
    command isn't applicable;

With btrfs and snapper use (as root user, not sudo!);
    Code:
    btrfs filesystem show
    btrfs filesystem df /
    snapper list |wc -l (just a count of the snapshots)
    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.28-4-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast