Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Cursor covers last types in character in konsole or yakuake

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Belleville, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    431

    Default Cursor covers last types in character in konsole or yakuake

    I just noticed today, that whatever the last character was typed into either konsole or yakuake, it is covered. Has anyone experienced this? Is there something I could do to fix it?

    I am using 13.1 with kde4.11.5, kernel 3.11.10-25-desktop, nVidia 340.65
    "Making rich people richer doesn't make the rest of us richer."
    Ha-Joon Chang

    openSUSE 15.0 4.12.14-lp150.12.45-default x64

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,370
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Cursor covers last types in character in konsole or yakuake

    You should be able to change it to be an underline cursor or blinking cursor (the Advanced tab of settings).

    I notice that I have the box checked for "Set cursor color to match current character". And maybe that's why I am able to always read the char under the cursor. With black chars on a light background, the cursor is showing as black and the char under the cursor changing to light color.

    I using 13.2, but I don't think this has changed since 13.1.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Belleville, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    431

    Default Re: Cursor covers last types in character in konsole or yakuake

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    You should be able to change it to be an underline cursor or blinking cursor (the Advanced tab of settings).

    I notice that I have the box checked for "Set cursor color to match current character". And maybe that's why I am able to always read the char under the cursor. With black chars on a light background, the cursor is showing as black and the char under the cursor changing to light color.
    Good suggestion, but no go. I tried with a newly created user, and the problem doesn't appear. Hence, it must be with my user (profile?). I'm about to upgrade to 13.2 very soon, so I don't want to spend too much time on this (I'm sure there will be more pressing problems to resolve after the upgrade (I hope not, but you never know)).
    "Making rich people richer doesn't make the rest of us richer."
    Ha-Joon Chang

    openSUSE 15.0 4.12.14-lp150.12.45-default x64

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,873

    Default Re: Cursor covers last types in character in konsole or yakuake

    Quote Originally Posted by kerijan2003 View Post
    Good suggestion, but no go. I tried with a newly created user, and the problem doesn't appear. Hence, it must be with my user (profile?). I'm about to upgrade to 13.2 very soon, so I don't want to spend too much time on this (I'm sure there will be more pressing problems to resolve after the upgrade (I hope not, but you never know)).
    I assume, that when you go to 13.2, but keep your /home partition and thus your user's settings as the are, the problem will persist.

    Personaly I would try to resolve it before marching on 13.2
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Belleville, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    431

    Default Re: Cursor covers last types in character in konsole or yakuake

    Yes, I thought of that. What I usually do when I upgrade, is keep a full copy of my home directory elsewhere, and copy everything over one by one. You're right, though. I would love to find out why this is doing this. It is very peculiar.
    "Making rich people richer doesn't make the rest of us richer."
    Ha-Joon Chang

    openSUSE 15.0 4.12.14-lp150.12.45-default x64

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Belleville, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    431

    Default Re: Cursor covers last types in character in konsole or yakuake

    UPDATE: I have upgraded to 13.2 and the problem has disappeared. It niggles my curiosity in not knowing what had caused the problem. But, at least I don't have the problem anymore.
    "Making rich people richer doesn't make the rest of us richer."
    Ha-Joon Chang

    openSUSE 15.0 4.12.14-lp150.12.45-default x64

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,873

    Default Re: Cursor covers last types in character in konsole or yakuake

    Quote Originally Posted by kerijan2003 View Post
    UPDATE: I have upgraded to 13.2 and the problem has disappeared. It niggles my curiosity in not knowing what had caused the problem. But, at least I don't have the problem anymore.
    It is irritating, but I hope you will not have sleepness nights over it.
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: Cursor covers last types in character in konsole or yakuake

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    It is irritating, but I hope you will not have sleepness nights over it.
    ... or, if you do, you won't keep the rest of us awake!
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •