Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OpenSUSE 13.2 x64 - AMD fglrx Issues

Default Re: OpenSUSE 13.2 x64 - AMD fglrx Issues

There's something wrong with the last 3 versions of ATI driver for openSUSE.
    First I thought it's related to Tumbleweed, which I was using back then so I notified Sebastian. However, I reinstalled openSUSE 13.2 and the same problem exists.

Hardware: HP Probook 4740s
    # lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev c4)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev c4)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev c4)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Thames [Radeon HD 7550M/7570M/7650M]
    03:00.0 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. SD/MMC Host Controller (rev 30)
    03:00.2 SD Host controller: JMicron Technology Corp. Standard SD Host Controller (rev 30)
    03:00.3 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. MS Host Controller (rev 30)
    04:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 07)
    # uname -a
    Linux devlnx.avornicesei.com 3.16.7-7-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 17 18:00:44 UTC 2014 (762f27a) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    If I'm installing fglrx64_xpic_SUSE132-14.501.1003-2 or 14.301.1001 from either ioda repo or using Sebastian's script, the driver installs with no error but Catalyst does not start:

and Yast does not start in graphical mode:
    devlnx:~ # yast2 --qt
    /sbin/yast2: line 440: 3258 Segmentation fault $y2ccbin $Y2UI_ARGS "$@"
    KDE also reports that openGL could not be initialized.

I installed the fglrx version 14.301.1001and then upgraded with #zypper up and got this: http://pastebin.com/uHY79FC3

Sebastian's script logged those infos: http://pastebin.com/Rx4s8XZB

If I'm booting with radeon.runpm=0 and then install the ati driver, at the next boot I'm taken to the console (no GUI). In Xorg log file I only saw a segmentation fault.

Quote Originally Posted by savornicesei View Post
    There's something wrong with the last 3 versions of ATI driver for openSUSE.
    First I thought it's related to Tumbleweed, which I was using back then so I notified Sebastian.
    The fgrlx driver doesn't work at all on Tumbleweed at the moment, because the Xorg there is too new.
    Nothing can be done about this until AMD releases a new version of their driver.

However, I reinstalled openSUSE 13.2 and the same problem exists.
    Definitely not the _same_ problem...

If I'm installing fglrx64_xpic_SUSE132-14.501.1003-2 or 14.301.1001 from either ioda repo or using Sebastian's script, the driver installs with no error but Catalyst does not start:
    Better not use the 301.1001 version. That was an experimental one (containing some inofficial beta version) to make it work at all on 13.2 IIRC.

I'd suggest you remove the driver completely, and then install the 13.2 501.1003 version from scratch.
    It should make no difference whether you use Sebastian Siebert's script or the packages in the repo, the latter ones are in fact created with Sebastian's script. But I suppose you should better remove the repo if using the script, to avoid dependency conflicts.

Oh, and are you using gdm by chance? This doesn't seem to work with fglrx at the moment, you have to switch to a different display manager.
    OTOH, you seem to have a hybrid system. For some combinations fglrx seems to not work at all with those too at the moment (segmentation fault on startup). Again, in this case you can only wait for a new driver release by AMD, and hoping that problem is fixed then.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 23-Mar-2015 at 04:03.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    The fgrlx driver doesn't work at all on Tumbleweed[...]Definitely not the _same_ problem[...]
    Let me rephrase it: same symptoms

[...]install the 13.2 501.1003 version from scratch[...]
    Same issues

[...]are you using gdm by chance[...]
    I'm using KDE.

[...]OTOH, you seem to have a hybrid system. For some combinations fglrx seems to not work at all with those too at the moment (segmentation fault on startup). Again, in this case you can only wait for a new driver release by AMD, and hoping that problem is fixed then.
    Just wandering if the ATI driver provided by HP for SUSE 11 can be used....

As a side note, ioda ATI drivers worked on openSUSE 13.1.

I'm using KDE.
    That's irrelevant.
    The question is what _display manager_ you use. But if you did a KDE installation, it's probably kdm, not gdm.

Just wandering if the ATI driver provided by HP for SUSE 11 can be used....
    Definitely not.
    And I doubt that it is any different from the standard driver offered by AMD.

As a side note, ioda ATI drivers worked on openSUSE 13.1.
    Yes.
    openSUSE 13.1 has an older kernel, and an older Xorg. So even the older fglrx drivers work without problems...

Got it. So without the ATI drivers, do I have any other solution to use the dedicated video card instead of the intel one?
    I tried booting with i915.modeset=0 radeon.modeset=1 but X failed to start.

Got it. So without the ATI drivers, do I have any other solution to use the dedicated video card instead of the intel one?
    Yes.
    But I cannot really help you with that.
    Maybe that's a start?
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...hable_Graphics

I tried booting with i915.modeset=0 radeon.modeset=1 but X failed to start.
    Of course, this doesn't make sense.

i915.modeset=0 disables the intel driver, but Xorg still runs on the intel chip.
    And radeon.modeset=1 is useless, as radeon only works with modeset anyway, just like intel.

Did you try turning off the Intel GPU in the BIOS?

In theory it should work with both but I say if you ain't using it turn it off

I don't have such option in the BIOS. I can only turn off the ATI (discrete) card. I found this on Ubuntu forum:
    If you don't have the option to switch GPUs in the BIOS then it's quite likely you have a muxless laptop, where the Nvidia GPU doesn't have direct access to the internal laptop display, and where it wouldn't make sense to switch off the Intel GPU.
    Apart from the BIOS, there is a the vga_switcheroo command, which allows one to change which GPU acts as the primary GPU, but this command doesn't work on muxless laptops either -- you're not missing much though, it's tricky to use, and only works on a very limited set of hardware anyway.
    So it seems I have a muxless one where Intell VGA is the "master of display" and it cannot be turned off.
    By using DRI_PRIME=1, as explained here, the ATI card is indeed used.
    Code:
    devlnx:~ # glxinfo | grep render
    direct rendering: Yes
        GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer, 
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile 
        GL_ARB_conditional_render_inverted, GL_ARB_conservative_depth, 
        GL_MESA_texture_signed_rgba, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp, 
        GL_ARB_conditional_render_inverted, GL_ARB_conservative_depth, 
        GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, 
        GL_OES_element_index_uint, GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap, 
    devlnx:~ # glxgears -info
    Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
    approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
    GL_RENDERER   = Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile 
    GL_VERSION    = 3.0 Mesa 10.3.7
    GL_VENDOR     = Intel Open Source Technology Center
    [.....]
    devlnx:~ # DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep render                    
    direct rendering: Yes
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD TURKS
        GL_MESA_texture_signed_rgba, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp, 
        GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp, 
        GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap, GL_OES_get_program_binary, GL_OES_mapbuffer, 
    devlnx:~ # DRI_PRIME=1 glxgears -info                           
    Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
    approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
    GL_RENDERER   = Gallium 0.4 on AMD TURKS
    GL_VERSION    = 3.0 Mesa 10.3.7
    GL_VENDOR     = X.Org
    [.....]
    Ok, but this cannot be used to enable 3D rendering in VMWare. Not directy because calling
    #DRI_PRIME=1 vmware
    will enable ATI driver for the VMWare Workstation GUI and not the virtual machines opened. That's acomplished by the vmware-vmx executable. This was addresed for NVidia cards on Ubuntu and Fedora by this script. I must have a deeper look at what it does and create a similar one for myself.

Until then, I either get poor performance on host or poor performance on guest, From an i7 CPU, 8Gb RAM and a SSD for main disk.

So it seems I have a muxless one where Intell VGA is the "master of display" and it cannot be turned off.
    Yes. That's AMD's equivalent of NVidia's Optimus.

Ok, but this cannot be used to enable 3D rendering in VMWare. Not directy because calling
    #DRI_PRIME=1 vmware
    will enable ATI driver for the VMWare Workstation GUI and not the virtual machines opened. That's acomplished by the vmware-vmx executable. This was addresed for NVidia cards on Ubuntu and Fedora by this script. I must have a deeper look at what it does and create a similar one for myself.
    That script is for use with Bumblebee, and most of what it does is mangle around the linker path so the proprietary nvidia driver can be used. (it cannot be installed to the standard locations with Bumblebee/Optimus as that would break Mesa/intel's OpenGL).

Probably it would suffice to rename /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx to /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx.orig, and replace vmware-vmx with a wrapper script that just calls "DRI_PRIME=1 /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx.orig"?
    Maybe you'd have to pass the parameters too though.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 31-Mar-2015 at 12:34.

Yeah, something like that
    Code:
    #mv vmware-vmx vmware-vmx.real
    #vi vmvare-vmx
    #chmod u+s,go+x vmware-vmx
    where the vmware-vmx file contains:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

echo "In DRI_PRIME loading script" >> /tmp/vmware-vmx.log

xrandr --setprovideroffloadsink 0x56 0x7f
    echo "Set xrandr provider offload sink to ATI card (0x56)" >> /tmp/vmware-vmx.log

export force_s3tc_enable=true
    echo "Exported s3tc flag" >> /tmp/vmware-vmx.log

DRI_PRIME=1 /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx.real "$@"
    echo "Executed DRI_PRIME=1 vmware-vmx.real with parameters $@" >> /tmp/vmware-vmx.log

return "$?"
    This is just make-it-work-on-my-laptop script. It can be polished to detect the video cards, to self install, cover debug and statistics as well, etc. I also installed the texture compression library libtxc_dxtn from packman, see here.

But now the question is if it really uses the ATI video card. Trying a game in the VM might clear that. VMWare continues to show the message that 3D is not enabled on host (people on vmware forum say that it checks for the proprietary ATI/NVIDIA drivers)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123