Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: OpenSUSE 13.2 x64 - AMD fglrx Issues

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,006
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: OpenSUSE 13.2 x64 - AMD fglrx Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 09:26:02 +0000, BMor wrote:

    > It seems restricted to just this program. I wish there was something
    > more I could provide. Any further suggestions?


    Nope, it's the path. Try:

    Code:
    kdesu -c '/sbin/yast2'
    Not quite - he was trying to launch 'yast', rather than 'yast2'), so
    Code:
    kdesu -c yast2
    should work okay as well. Does for me (and I don't have /sbin in my user path either). Using 'kdesu' takes care of that.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,037

    Default Re: OpenSUSE 13.2 x64 - AMD fglrx Issues

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 20:46:01 +0000, deano ferrari wrote:

    > hendersj;2687406 Wrote:
    >> On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 09:26:02 +0000, BMor wrote:
    >>
    >> > It seems restricted to just this program. I wish there was
    >> > something more I could provide. Any further suggestions?

    >>
    >> Nope, it's the path. Try:
    >>
    >>

    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > > > kdesu -c '/sbin/yast2'

    > --------------------
    >> >

    > Not quite - he was trying to launch 'yast', rather than 'yast2'), so
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > kdesu -c yast2
    > --------------------
    >
    > should work okay as well. Does for me (and I don't have /sbin in my user
    > path either). Using 'kdesu' takes care of that.


    Interesting. With gnomesu, I have to specify the path if my user doesn't
    have /sbin in the path.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: OpenSUSE 13.2 x64 - AMD fglrx Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 09:26:02 +0000, BMor wrote:

    > It seems restricted to just this program. I wish there was something
    > more I could provide. Any further suggestions?


    Nope, it's the path. Try:

    kdesu -c '/sbin/yast2'

    I often forget that it's not in other peoples' path because /sbin/ isn't
    in the normal user path.

    You would have the same issue if you launched it outside a terminal.

    Jim


    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

    Tried the code you provided. Password box appears as before, but still no GUI interface. The only thing different is that in the terminal, after executing the code, the terminal window drops down one line and will accept a new command. Perhaps the fact that I am running this on an old machine with an almost 6-year old AMD card, the fglrx driver might not be entirely compatible. This is the only consequence (the only one I found and that is consistent) that seems to arise from it. I think I might as well just install the core component only and ensure I only get Intel Graphics when I purchase a new machine.

    To everyone, thank you for all of your help. I learn a bit more about the OS everytime! Much appreciated.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,037

    Default Re: OpenSUSE 13.2 x64 - AMD fglrx Issues

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2015 05:26:01 +0000, BMor wrote:

    > To everyone, thank you for all of your help. I learn a bit more about
    > the OS everytime! Much appreciated.


    Which specific card is it that you have? You may be correct that it's
    not supported by the Catalyst driver, as that tends to be the case.

    But what you're seeing doesn't really make that much sense to me - if you
    want to keep diagnosing, that's cool - and if not, that's cool too. But
    it would be nice to see if we can track down what's going wrong here.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  5. #15

    Default Re: OpenSUSE 13.2 x64 - AMD fglrx Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by BMor View Post
    Tried the code you provided. Password box appears as before, but still no GUI interface. The only thing different is that in the terminal, after executing the code, the terminal window drops down one line and will accept a new command.
    Try to run "xauth -b" (as user) and then enter 'q' in a terminal. Does it work then maybe?

    And please post the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log. This should show whether the fglrx driver is actually in use and working.
    It only supports HD5000 cards and up.

  6. #16

    Post Re: OpenSUSE 13.2 x64 - AMD fglrx Issues

    Hi, I've a HP laptop with Intel processor + AMD GPU and 64-bit OpenSUSE 13.2 KDE. The first time I install fglrx, I got to some fallback GUI mode then every time I try to install the driver, I see console.
    I installed Gnome and LightDM, set it as the display manager and installed the driver, but only saw console.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,037

    Default Re: OpenSUSE 13.2 x64 - AMD fglrx Issues

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 20:56:01 +0000, sherif6 wrote:

    > Hi, I've a HP laptop with Intel processor + AMD GPU and 64-bit OpenSUSE
    > 13.2 KDE. The first time I install fglrx, I got to some fallback GUI
    > mode then every time I try to install the driver, I see console.
    > I installed Gnome and LightDM, set it as the display manager and
    > installed the driver, but only saw console.


    What specific AMD GPU do you have?

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  8. #18

    Post Re: OpenSUSE 13.2 x64 - AMD fglrx Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 20:56:01 +0000, sherif6 wrote:

    > Hi, I've a HP laptop with Intel processor + AMD GPU and 64-bit OpenSUSE
    > 13.2 KDE. The first time I install fglrx, I got to some fallback GUI
    > mode then every time I try to install the driver, I see console.
    > I installed Gnome and LightDM, set it as the display manager and
    > installed the driver, but only saw console.


    What specific AMD GPU do you have?

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C
    It's Radeon HD 7600M Series from YaST.

  9. #19

    Default Re: OpenSUSE 13.2 x64 - AMD fglrx Issues

    I have exactly same problem with radeon hd 7870xt

    I can boot to GUI with open drivers after appending nomodeset to launch options

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,580

    Default Re: OpenSUSE 13.2 x64 - AMD fglrx Issues

    nomodeset use primate drivers so you have virtually no 2-d hardware acceleration and no 3d acceleration

    It is fine for emergencies but you need a working radion or proprietary AMD driver

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •