Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: mixed languages

  1. #1

    Default mixed languages

    on opensuse 13.2 and kde 4.14.3
    I would like to have two users with two different languages, so, I set in yast>language primary language=english(US) and secondary language=italian ang greek selected
    user=nipoti: in >configure desktop>locale country=italy languages=italian moved in preferred languages in the first place

    kde result in italian, but firefox, chrome, chromium, konvertsound and many other applications result in english

    how can I get for user nipoti chrome, chromium, firefox and the other application in italian???

    manythnx, :-) ciao :-) pier

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,380

    Default Re: mixed languages

    To begin with, this is from openSUSE 13.1, but it should function the same.

    I have set Country to Nederland and Languages/Talen to Nederlands in the Preference column (Englisg (American) is the only one left in the Available column then) in my KDE. Firefox uses Dutch for menus. etc.
    This for comparison.

    What shows:
    Code:
    henk@boven:~> echo $LANG
    nl_NL.UTF-8
    henk@boven:~
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3

    Default Re: mixed languages

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    To begin with, this is from openSUSE 13.1, but it should function the same.

    I have set Country to Nederland and Languages/Talen to Nederlands in the Preference column (Englisg (American) is the only one left in the Available column then) in my KDE. Firefox uses Dutch for menus. etc.
    you intend in lizard>configure desktop>locale country=nederland languages=nederlands moved in preferred languages in the first place??
    like me in italian....
    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    This for comparison.

    What shows:
    Code:
    henk@boven:~> echo $LANG
    nl_NL.UTF-8
    henk@boven:~
    my echo $LANG is:
    Code:
    en_US.UTF-8

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,380

    Default Re: mixed languages

    Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    my echo $LANG is:
    Code:
    en_US.UTF-8
    Why bothering in splitting this up and making it more difficult to understand? Never mind, I will accept this as if it was prompt, command, output, prompt in one sweep.

    That is thus wrong. The problem is that I do not realy know how it should be cured (KDE should take care of it IMHO) except by brute force (read editting manualy. You could try to edit the .profile of the user. I have there:
    Code:
    henk@boven:~> grep LANG .profile
    #export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8        # uncomment this line for German output
    #export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8        # uncomment this line for French output
    #export LANG=es_ES.UTF-8        # uncomment this line for Spanish output
    export LANG=nl_NL.UTF-8 # uncomment this line for Dutch output
    henk@boven:~>
    Adapt as needed. I assume it_IT.UTF-8 for Italian.
    And for Greek, looking through a list I assume el_EL.UTF-8. But I am not quite sure about the second EL. Try it out.

    PS, do not forget to log the user out/in after a change in .profile.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,454

    Default Re: mixed languages

    If you use YaST to set the language of the keyboard layout that you have, you can set up to four different languages for each user with System settings (Configure desktop)>Input devices>Keyboard>Layouts. Obviously, the keytops will be those of the keyboard hardware. To change the language of the KDE desktop, you need to install the relevant KDE language package and then select that from System settings (Configure desktop)>Locale>Country/region and language>Languages.

  6. #6

    Default Re: mixed languages

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Why bothering in splitting this up and making it more difficult to understand? Never mind, I will accept this as if it was prompt, command, output, prompt in one sweep.
    ... :-) sorry, I was far from pc and I asked to the user to do it by phone... :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    That is thus wrong. The problem is that I do not realy know how it should be cured (KDE should take care of it IMHO) except by brute force (read editting manualy. You could try to edit the .profile of the user. I have there:
    Code:
    henk@boven:~> grep LANG .profile
    #export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8        # uncomment this line for German output
    #export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8        # uncomment this line for French output
    #export LANG=es_ES.UTF-8        # uncomment this line for Spanish output
    export LANG=nl_NL.UTF-8 # uncomment this line for Dutch output
    henk@boven:~>
    Adapt as needed. I assume it_IT.UTF-8 for Italian.
    And for Greek, looking through a list I assume el_EL.UTF-8. But I am not quite sure about the second EL. Try it out.

    PS, do not forget to log the user out/in after a change in .profile.
    I will try as soon as I can.. :-)
    manythanks, :-) ciao :-) pier

  7. #7

    Default Re: mixed languages

    Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    If you use YaST to set the language of the keyboard layout that you have, you can set up to four different languages for each user with System settings (Configure desktop)>Input devices>Keyboard>Layouts. Obviously, the keytops will be those of the keyboard hardware.
    it is relevant only for keyboard layout, not for applications languages
    Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    To change the language of the KDE desktop, you need to install the relevant KDE language package and then select that from System settings (Configure desktop)>Locale>Country/region and language>Languages.
    I did this but only kde changed languages, other applications don't

  8. #8

    Default Re: mixed languages

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    That is thus wrong. The problem is that I do not realy know how it should be cured (KDE should take care of it IMHO) except by brute force (read editting manualy. You could try to edit the .profile of the user. I have there:
    Code:
    henk@boven:~> grep LANG .profile
    #export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8        # uncomment this line for German output
    #export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8        # uncomment this line for French output
    #export LANG=es_ES.UTF-8        # uncomment this line for Spanish output
    export LANG=nl_NL.UTF-8 # uncomment this line for Dutch output
    henk@boven:~>
    Adapt as needed. I assume it_IT.UTF-8 for Italian.
    And for Greek, looking through a list I assume el_EL.UTF-8. But I am not quite sure about the second EL. Try it out.

    PS, do not forget to log the user out/in after a change in .profile.
    ...maaaanythanks, :-) it works perfectly now
    I added in /home/nipoti/.profile
    Code:
    export LANG=it_IT.UTF-8        # uncomment this line for Italian aggiunto da me

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,380

    Default Re: mixed languages

    Nice, now for the Greek one
    Henk van Velden

  10. #10

    Default Re: mixed languages

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Nice, now for the Greek one
    I added this:
    Code:
    export LANG=el_GR.UTF-8        # uncomment this line for Greek aggiunto da me
    ... but greek is a quite obscure language... more than dutch I need the greek user to better check
    but at first view it seems to works.. a lot of strange letters somewhere appears..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •