Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ktorrent magnet link issue

Default Re: ktorrent magnet link issue

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    the torrent/magnet that doesn't work does not have any trackers,
    magnetxt=urn:btih:bfefb51f4670d682e98382adf81014638a25105a&dn=openSUSE+13.2+DVD+x86_64.iso&xl=4678746112&dl=4678746112
    the magnet only has the file hash no trackers!
    ktorrent sets dht to off by default, so eather edit the URI to include trackers or enable dht in ktorrent (it's in settings)
    DHT was on. A notification shows up when you try to use ktorrent with a magnet link when DHT is disabled, I enabled it and still it would not work with magnet links from that particular site (maybe others, I havent tested other sites tbh).

I agree DHT should be on by default though.

Quote Originally Posted by maxp779 View Post
    A notification shows up when you try to use ktorrent with a magnet link when DHT is disabled,.
    that URI is fine it just doesn't have trackers and if you don't have other users in your swarm DHT needs time to start going (I really should read-up on dht), I'll test those links and report back. It really doesn't make any difference from what site you got the magnet (some sites do add default trackers and that seams to be the problem here no trackers)
    A google search about that magnet's hash will get you tons of sites, some will offer the magnet with extra trackers some will have it trackerless
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bfef...1014638a25105a

I think you found a bug.

tested with a couple of different torrents
    if there are no trackers defined in the magnet URI ktorrent doesn't work, usually ktorrent gets the corresponding .torrent file from the bittorrent network and starts the up/down load, if there are no trackers ktorrent does noting, the simplest thing to do is add a general tracker
    this magnet works
    magnetxt=urn:btih:bfefb51f4670d682e98382adf81014638a25105a&dn=openSUSE+13.2+DVD+x86_64.iso&xl=4678746112&dl=4678746112&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337%2Fannounce

this one does not
    magnetxt=urn:btih:bfefb51f4670d682e98382adf81014638a25105a&dn=openSUSE+13.2+DVD+x86_64.iso&xl=4678746112&dl=4678746112

the difference is the lack of a tracker, unfortinetly ktorrent seams to have been somewhat abandoned, I've read a few pages on kde.org and a few users have been asking for some bug fixes.

Ah that's a shame, ktorrent seems like a good client. qBittorrent it is then, I think its still actively developed.

Blog Entries

May not be a real bug.

Every torrent client works a bit differently and this may simply what some might consider a slight defect, ie doesn't work as well for this one feature. Does not necessarily mean that ktorrent is bad, because often a client will be superior doing something else.

And, it may simply have to do with nodes with the torrentfile in the areas ktorrent is searching. A different torrent client might be configured to do a magnet search differently and it might just work better for this one torrent.

Is why I've jumped around from one torrent client to another many, many times over the past 10 years and sometimes ran more than one simultaneously (but of course pointing to different file locations).

It's probably why trackers haven't disappeared completely, although they're not required today(DHT and Peer Sharing are probably the leading alternatives) they still provide better performance.

TSU

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12