Thread: is there contraindications to copy /root folder from a pc to another pc?

Default is there contraindications to copy /root folder from a pc to another pc?

on my opensuse 13.2 with kde.
    the aim is to have the same settings in both pc when as normaluser I have access as superuser with dolphin or others.
    is there any contraindication to copy /root folder with the good settings from a pc to another pc??
    for my skills the easyest way seems to be to access as user, use luckybackup as super user and synchronize the /root folder on a NTFSdisk (luckybackup doesn't preserve permissions when copy in NTFSdisks) and then access as user and synchronize back in the destination pc... :-)
    as I red luckybackup use rsync...
    is it a reasonable not so bad idea?? my doubts are I'm copying /root folder..., is there any password or setting related to the whole system? or in /root is only the superuser /home???
    manythanks for any suggestions, :-) ciao :-) pier

Default Re: is there contraindications to copy /root folder from a pc to another pc?

/root is only the home directory for the user "root", there are no system-wide settings in there.
    It's separated from /home to make it possible to login as root even when /home is full or not available/broken.

And I see nothing wrong witz copying its contents to another system.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 30-Dec-2014 at 10:56.

Default Re: is there contraindications to copy /root folder from a pc to another pc?

maaaanythanks, ciao :-) pier..., and have a happy new year...:-)

Default Re: is there contraindications to copy /root folder from a pc toanother pc?

On 2014-12-30 18:56, pier andreit wrote:

> for my skills the easyest way seems to be to access as user, use
    > luckybackup as super user and synchronize the /root folder on a NTFSdisk
    > (luckybackup doesn't preserve permissions when copy in NTFSdisks) and

DO NOT use ntfs disks to backup Linux.

If you don't have another thing, use tar.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)