Thread: OS 13.2 software management problem deleting applications

Default OS 13.2 software management problem deleting applications

After upgrading from 13.1 to 13.2 I ran all the latest 13.2 online updates successfully.

Now I go into software management in order to delete applications I never use and free disk space. After deleting a number of applications I re-open software management to delete some more. When I delete, for instance, GwenView, I get a screen which says that all sorts of applications I had previously deleted have to be re-installed in order to meet dependencies. Among the list of applications needing to be re-installed.are LibreOffice and Gimp. Why would I need LibreOffice and Gimp if I delete GwenView ? I do not use any of these applications. Similarly I go to delete the kipi-plugins, which I never use. Again Yast wants to re-installs Libreoffice and Gimp.

Can anybody tell me what is happening ? Surely I have the right to delete applications I do not need or use. Why is Yast telling me I must have them ?

Default Re: OS 13.2 software management problem deleting applications

Those are recommended and they can be a nuisance if you are really trimming down the programs.

In yast under options check "Ignore recommended packages for already installed Packages"

Default AW: OS 13.2 software management problem deleting applications

Quote Originally Posted by eldiener View Post
    Can anybody tell me what is happening ? Surely I have the right to delete applications I do not need or use. Why is Yast telling me I must have them ?
    The "Office" pattern recommends LibreOffice.
    If you remove that pattern (in YaST: View->Patterns), LibreOffice should not be installed automatically any more.

GIMP is recommended by the "Imaging" pattern.

The "Ignore recommended packages for already installed Packages" as mentioned by gogalthorp will also prevent that the recommends of already installed patterns will be re-installed.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Those are recommended and they can be a nuisance if you are really trimming down the programs.

In yast under options check "Ignore recommended packages for already installed Packages"
    That worked. Thanks ! It must be a new option added to Software Management.

Quote Originally Posted by eldiener View Post
    That worked. Thanks ! It must be a new option added to Software Management.
    No, it's not. It's in there for years.

But in previous releases, packages that you uninstall manually got "soft-locked" and therefore not installed automatically any more (i.e. they were regarded as "unwanted").
    This feature caused other problems though, therefore it got removed.

AFAIK "Ignore recommended packages for already installed Packages" should be activated by default, but is not because of a bug.
    https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=902394

Default Re: AW: OS 13.2 software management problem deleting applications

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    The "Office" pattern recommends LibreOffice.
    If you remove that pattern (in YaST: View->Patterns), LibreOffice should not be installed automatically any more.

GIMP is recommended by the "Imaging" pattern.

The "Ignore recommended packages for already installed Packages" as mentioned by gogalthorp will also prevent that the recommends of already installed patterns will be re-installed.
    I have never manually worked with Patterns in Yast, only individual packages. That explains why I had no idea about the ramifications of having a pattern "installed" or "removed".

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    No, it's not. It's in there for years.

But in previous releases, packages that you uninstall manually got "soft-locked" and therefore not installed automatically any more (i.e. they were regarded as "unwanted").
    This feature caused other problems though, therefore it got removed.

AFAIK "Ignore recommended packages for already installed Packages" should be activated by default, but is not because of a bug.
    https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=902394
    Somehow it was activated by default in previous releases to 13.2 because I never ran into my problem in OS 13.1 and earlier and I am sure I deleted packages before without Yast trying to add them back.

AS Wolfi said in the past there were soft locks put on removed packages so they would not jump back in. but there were ramification with that that broke some updating. An example is the NVIDIA drivers if you removed then reinstalled the drivers then things would not update quite right and you got broken drivers or unneeded wanted packages got brought in. Honestly I see no perfect solution On the whole I think the 13.2 solution is the best most people don't strip the applications out and if they do run into the problem as you have the solution is simple and easy.