Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to KDE 5

Default Upgrade to KDE 5

I want to upgrade to kde 5 from kde 4.14 but i don't know how to upgrade them. Anybody can show me how to upgrade to kde 5? I'm using opensuse 13.2.

Default Re: Upgrade to KDE 5

Quote Originally Posted by mki View Post
    I want to upgrade to kde 5 from kde 4.14 but i don't know how to upgrade them. Anybody can show me how to upgrade to kde 5? I'm using opensuse 13.2.
    There is no "KDE 5" (there actually is no "KDE 4" either...), KDE is a community that creates software...

To install Plasma 5, the desktop created by KDE, just install the package "plasma5-session", it is included in 13.2. Then choose "Plasma 5" at the login screen, or set it as default in /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager.
    But this will remove your "KDE 4" desktop, and none of the "KDE 4" applications are available for KF5 yet (you can continue to use the "KDE 4" versions though).

If you want to install Plasma 5 alongside your current "KDE 4", I maintain a repo on OBS with packages that make that possible. This repo also contains pre-release versions of many KF5 applications, like dolphin, konqueror, gwenview, konsole, ..., that can also co-exist with their "KDE 4" counterparts.
    To use my repo, you first have to add the KDE:Qt5 and KDE:Frameworks5 repos (the libraries included in 13.2 are too old already), see here:
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_repo...5_.26_Plasma_5

Then add my repo, preferably with a higher priority (i.e. lower priority number in YaST->Software Repositories):
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_13.2/
    And like above, install "plasma5-session" to get everything needed for Plasma5, i.e. the desktop itself.
    Please have a look at the "Repository" View in YaST->Software Management for other available applications from my repo and install what you want manually, they won't be installed automatically.

I would recommen that you install plasma5 using this repo:

http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_13.2/

As explained in the post above. This will give you plasma5 (kde 5 - still to me sorry) and leave kde4 unaltered, so you can switch between the two whenever it suits.

Is it safe?

Is it work?

I have read wolfi's instructions a few time in the past few weeks, decided to try Plasma5 in a 13.2 VM I had installed.

I added the QT5, Frameworks 5 and 'wolfi Repo' per the guidelines

I installed plasma5-session from the 'wolfi repo'.
    Dependencies pulled in 10 otherplasma5-xx-yy packages,
    plasma5-addons and plasma5-addons-lang loaded from the Frameworks 5 repo, all others from the 'wolfi repo'

I ran a "switch to files from this repo" on the "wolfi repo",

When I logout and try to login to a Plasma5 session, I get an error popup:
    Code:
    Could not start kdeinit5. Check your installation
    Went back and logged in to KDE4 Plasma.

I see kdeinit5 is installed from the kinit package in the Frameworks5 repo.

Might there be some othe Plasma5 libs or something I need to force load?
    Desk: i7-4790K Leap 15.1(x86_64)4.12.14-lp151.28.7-default KF5 59.0 Plasma 5.14.4 Qt 5.13.0
    Lap: HPDV7T i7 Leap 15.0(x86_64)4.12.14-lp151.28.7-default KF5 59.0 Plasma 5.14.4 Qt 5.13.0

I tried Plasma 5 on openSUSE 13.2 x64 on two different machines, and had major problems with it. I can't remember exactly what they were because it was a couple months ago, but I remember Amarok wouldn't work at all, and the DE was for the most part not usable. I don't know if anyone has had better luck with it, but I would not recommend running Plasma 5 as your main desktop.

Thanks for your advice. I think I'll stick with my 4.14 KDE Plasma

KDE Plasma 5 is now 5.1.2
    KDE Framework 5 is now 5.5.0

Still no one recommends using it as the primary desktop and there is no KDE Applications 5 yet.
    I remember the disappointing KDE 4 release so I have no problem waiting for KDE 5 to deliver a complete desktop (Framework, Plasma and Applications).

Quote Originally Posted by pirithous View Post
    ...I don't know if anyone has had better luck with it, but I would not recommend running Plasma 5 as your main desktop.
    I've been using it for months on a few openSUSE machines, two used for dev work. RIght now, my wife is running the Plasma5 session on an old Toshiba laptop with Tumbleweed (KF5 v5.4, Plasma v5.1.2). My main dev box is running Tumblweed with KF5 Factory (v5.5) and wolfi's repo so I can "dual-boot" to KDE-Plasma-old.

I had a minor hiccup a couple of weeks ago, but to answer your question, yes, someone else is using Plasma5 daily for work (and play) with great success. I have not tried to run Plasma5 on a straight up 13.2 install.

For TW, you can just add the KF5 Factory repo and Wolfi's TW repo and QT is used from TW.
    For Factory, you can just use the factory repos for all three (KF5, QT, wolfi).

One problem I have is with FireFox and the KWin compositor, either OGL 2.0 or 3.1, goes bonkers if you hit any video sites with FF. Shift_Alt_F12 is your friend.

Also, all of my setups are x86_64, running kernel 3.18.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast