Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: x2go and iniating a network vpn connection - rights?

Default x2go and iniating a network vpn connection - rights?

If I wanted to use x2go client to tunnel into another machine that I have on my local lan (opensuse 13.2 running x2go server), so that I can launch a vpn (pptp) to my work computer (not local)... which permission do I need to allow in Security Center and Hardening?

Currently, I get an error “Failed Not Authorized to control networking”, when I try to launch the vpn using x2go.
    If I am local on the computer (not using x2go) the vpn works fine, there is only one user and that user does have root rights.

Thanks for your time
    qu1nn
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 26-Sep-2015 at 07:48. Reason: Add prefix
    Pentium D 820, 2.80GHz, Intel D945PSN ATX, PowerColor Radeon HD7870, Geil DDR2, (1GB x 2) Dual Channel 667MHz Suse 13.2, KDE
    Haswell i4771, 3.5GHz, Asus Z87-WS ATX, Club3d R9 280X RoyalQueen, Corsair 8GBx2, Corsair AX860 PS, openSuse 13.1, KDE

Blog Entries

Default Re: x2go and iniating a network vpn connection - rights?

Quote Originally Posted by qu1nn View Post
    If I wanted to use x2go client to tunnel into another machine that I have on my local lan (opensuse 13.2 running x2go server), so that I can launch a vpn (pptp) to my work computer (not local)... which permission do I need to allow in Security Center and Hardening?

Currently, I get an error “Failed Not Authorized to control networking”, when I try to launch the vpn using x2go.
    If I am local on the computer (not using x2go) the vpn works fine, there is only one user and that user does have root rights.

Thanks for your time
    qu1nn
    I don't know anything about x2go, although I do connect to remote servers via a PPTP VPN. This could be a polkit privledge issue. Are you using network manager?

If so, check
    Code:
    pkaction --action-id org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.network-control --verbose
    You might need to show (explicitly) all commands/steps used with activating the connection. (It's not clear to me at least from what you posted so far.)

pkaction --action-id org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.network-control --verbose
    org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.network-control:
    description: Allow control of network connections
    message: System policy prevents control of network connections
    vendor: NetworkManager
    vendor_url: http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager
    icon: nm-icon
    implicit any: no
    implicit inactive: yes
    implicit active: yes

yes NetworkManager 0.9.10.0-3.1.4 along with several others ;
    -openvpn (same version), -pptp (0.9.10.0-2.2.2), -vpnc (same version)

In order to activate
    I click the network icon (bottom right) of the KDE desktop
    my work connection is already setup: so I selection the available network and select CONNECT, then I immediately get the Failed to Activate " Not aurhorized to control networking" message.

Thanks for responding,
    qu1nn
    Pentium D 820, 2.80GHz, Intel D945PSN ATX, PowerColor Radeon HD7870, Geil DDR2, (1GB x 2) Dual Channel 667MHz Suse 13.2, KDE
    Haswell i4771, 3.5GHz, Asus Z87-WS ATX, Club3d R9 280X RoyalQueen, Corsair 8GBx2, Corsair AX860 PS, openSuse 13.1, KDE

Blog Entries

Hmmm... when you first configured your PPTP connection, did you select 'All users may connect to this network'? Maybe a 'system connection' will behave differently to a 'user connection', since the privileges are different. Anyway, easy enough to go back and check/change if necessary.

yep, I deleted the connection and tried again both when using x2go. Fail.

I also logged out of x2go, connected with the keyboard, video, mouse;
    created a new connection.
    new ensuring that I selected to allow all users.
    tested it, it connected while I was logged in as jason.

logged out.
    tunneled again with x2go
    tried to connect
    got the error

and I double checked that user jason had root rights prior to starting...

I retried, this time giving the user jason every right as shown in yast > user and group management, no change. Fail.
    Last edited by qu1nn; 16-Dec-2014 at 15:45. Reason: more detail added

Blog Entries

Maybe worth starting a thread X2Go forum

http://x2go-community.org/forum

If you really feel that NM should handle this better, then a bug report perhaps

https://bugzilla.novell.com/index.cgi

Blog Entries

I retried, this time giving the user jason every right as shown in yast > user and group management, no change. Fail.
    No, it's not a group-based permissions issue. It is likely polkit/session-related, but above my knowledge/experience to help with any further.

Today I was able to connect thru the tunnel when I login to the x2go server machine as root itself.

I dont like doing it, but it is functional.

Definately seems like a bug as when I logged in as user, and that user did indeed have root rights....
    funky.

qu1nn

Users should never ever have root rights for sure in a remote network situation. Those excess rights will bite you at some point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Users should never ever have root rights for sure in a remote network situation. Those excess rights will bite you at some point.
    The real issue is that Network Manager is preventing user configuration via X2Go to be able to facilitate a VPN connection. It's not clear to me how to gain the necessary privileges. As long as the OP isn't running a root session then connecting via X2Go run as root is acceptable but annoying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast