Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Can't install Chrome

  1. #1

    Default Can't install Chrome

    I have always installed Chrome from Google's install website, and installed the .rpm. But since upgrading to openSUSE 13.2, I get this message...

    Your current backend doesn't support installing files

    Why am I getting this message for the first time, and how can I overcome it?

    13.2 appears not to be allowing me to use rpm?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Can't install Chrome

    On 2014-12-15 03:56, stubble wrote:
    >
    > I have always installed Chrome from Google's install website, and
    > installed the .rpm. But since upgrading to openSUSE 13.2, I get this
    > message...
    >
    > Your current backend doesn't support installing files


    How exactly are you installing it?

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,562

    Default Re: Can't install Chrome

    Quote Originally Posted by stubble View Post
    I have always installed Chrome from Google's install website, and installed the .rpm. But since upgrading to openSUSE 13.2, I get this message...

    Your current backend doesn't support installing files

    Why am I getting this message for the first time, and how can I overcome it?

    13.2 appears not to be allowing me to use rpm?
    I guess you are using apper as what you describe is a known bug.
    Apper will usually work on the second try.

    https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=902577

  4. #4

    Default Re: Can't install Chrome

    I was installing it from the Chrome website, as I have always done. Yes I was using Apper. It didn't work for me when I tried it again. But I may try it again. The reason I wanted it mostly was the two things that Chromium didn't have pdf and something else. But when I looked at Chromium via Yast, I noticed there were plugins available for those two things. I read somewhere that even Google recommended using the browser delivered by whichever file delivery system your linux uses. So I installed Chromium instead. I haven't used Chrome/Chromium a lot, but I wanted a top alternative to Firefox, in case of emergencies. Thank you for your replies.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,562

    Default Re: Can't install Chrome

    Quote Originally Posted by stubble View Post
    I was installing it from the Chrome website, as I have always done. Yes I was using Apper. It didn't work for me when I tried it again. But I may try it again. The reason I wanted it mostly was the two things that Chromium didn't have pdf and something else. But when I looked at Chromium via Yast, I noticed there were plugins available for those two things. I read somewhere that even Google recommended using the browser delivered by whichever file delivery system your linux uses. So I installed Chromium instead. I haven't used Chrome/Chromium a lot, but I wanted a top alternative to Firefox, in case of emergencies. Thank you for your replies.
    I think it needs to be done in reasonably quick succession (maybe), so download the chrome rpm and install it locally using apper. That will overcome the "backend doesn't support . . ." error

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,562

    Default Re: Can't install Chrome

    Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    I think it needs to be done in reasonably quick succession (maybe), so download the chrome rpm and install it locally using apper. That will overcome the "backend doesn't support . . ." error
    just tested this myself - works perfectly on openSUSE 13.2 x64

    Download the .rpm. Double click to install and apper gives the message "Your current backend doesn't support installing files".
    Double click again and goes through the instalation process without issue.

    edit: an alternative install would be to add the following to your repository list and install through yast.

    http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Can't install Chrome

    noticed the same bug when opening rpm's in a file manager.
    why not install with rpm?

    Code:
    sudo rpm -i google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm

    ps. what happened to the -U (update) switch in rpm?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Can't install Chrome

    On 2014-12-16 00:06, farcusnz wrote:

    > edit: an alternative install would be to add the following to your
    > repository list and install through yast.
    >
    > http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64


    That's what I would recommend, as you eventually need to add the
    repository in order to get updates automatically.

    Notice that google has the "idiosyncrasy" of creating a cron job, named
    "/etc/cron.daily/google-chrome", which adds the google repository...
    every day!

    > <1.6> 2014-12-12 22:15:01 Telcontar run-crons 14725 - - google-chrome: OK
    > <1.6> 2014-12-13 22:15:02 Telcontar run-crons 20230 - - google-chrome: OK
    > <1.6> 2014-12-15 22:15:01 Telcontar run-crons 22143 - - google-chrome: OK


    Removing the job is useless, as the next google update re-adds the cron
    job. I think I will try apparmour. [...] So far, I failed. [...] Got it!

    /etc/apparmor.d/etc.cron.daily.google-chrome:

    Code:
    #include <tunables/global>
    
    /etc/cron.daily/google-chrome {
    #include <abstractions/base>
    #include <abstractions/bash>
    
    /bin/bash ix,
    /dev/tty rw,
    deny /etc/cron.daily/google-chrome r,
    
    }



    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  9. #9

    Default Re: Can't install Chrome

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    noticed the same bug when opening rpm's in a file manager.
    why not install with rpm?

    Code:
    sudo rpm -i google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm
    You could also use one of those to install dependencies as well automatically:
    Code:
    sudo zypper in google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm
    sudo yast -i google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm
    Btw, you can also specify a remote URL for all of them (including rpm), something like
    Code:
    sudo rpm -i http://download.google.com/RPMS/google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm
    (please note, that the URL in this example is just made up by me and will not work )

    ps. what happened to the -U (update) switch in rpm?
    ???
    Nothing happened to it. I use it all the time, didn't notice any difference in the last years...
    Can you clarify what you mean?
    Last edited by wolfi323; 16-Dec-2014 at 01:37.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Can't install Chrome

    Why not install Chromium instead? It is avalable from SuSE repositories and may be installed with YaST or zypper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •