Suse security update not installing

Using Suse 13.1

Since just over a week ago a security update has been failing to install with dependency errors. I have seen this happen before and was not too worried about it as after a few days in previous occurrences the situation seemed to resolve itself. However this time it still remains unable to install with the following error

patch:openSUSE-2014-746-1.noarch conflicts with  MozillaFirefox-branding-upstream.x86_64 < 34.0.5-50.3 provided by  MozillaFirefox-branding-upstream-34.0.5-1.2.x86_64

I do have the Open Build Service Mozilla repository enabled and my current FF version is 34.0.5
I am unable to give more details about the security update as clicking the ‘Plus’ sign next to the update has never ever worked for me and simply displays a message ‘failed to get update details’
All I can see in the main download popup menu is that it is “OpenSUSE-2014-746 Security update f…”

Ideas??

You do not tell which tool you use trying to install that patch (and that produces the error message) YaST > Software > Online Updates, zypper patch, there are more possibilities.

Usually, there are some choices provided on resolving conflicts.

My only 13.1 system is 32-bit. I had no difficulty with that update. But I was using the opensuse branding rather than the upstream branding.

Sorry I thought the fact that I described the pop-up menu in the panel for auto updates would have indicated that I am using Yast Online Updates delivered automatically to me…

I could show you a screenshot but I cant seem to paste in the png image here - its asking me to provide a URL instead…

[QUOTE=nrickert;2682228]Usually, there are some choices provided on resolving conflicts.

Yes when I install software through Yast if there are dependancy issues it usually offers 2 or 3 options to resolve the problem.

These software and security updates offered to me through Yast Auto update never do - they either install fine or very occasionally as in this case just throw up a message saying update could not be installed due to failed dependancy and clicking ‘see more details’ shows just the rather cryptic message that I copied in my OP. No options as to what I can try to do to fix the dependency issue which is really not very helpful to your average user like myself… :frowning:

Yes, I more or less guessed that. But when you want help you better tell/show what you do exactly and not burden your potential helpers with some extrra riddles to be solved beside the real problem you ask help for. Even if it is “only” their spare time people here use for helping, it is still time that could be used to help others.

[quote="“shadychris,post:5,topic:105318”]

Okay. I should have guess that you were talking about the update applet. You are right, that it does not give any conflict resolution choices. It just fails.

I checked with my 32-bit opensuse 13.1. I attempted to install the upstream branding for firefox. And that does indeed give a conflict. I aborted that, since I am happy with the opensuse branding.

If you want to install this update, I suggest you use Yast online update. There should be a choice to switch to the opensuse branding.

Whether or not you do that, you might consider filing a bug report.

The conflict with upstream branding looks like a bug (perhaps a failure to provide an update for a related package). When that bug is fixed, you could switch back to upstream branding.

[quote="“nrickert,post:7,topic:105318”]

Excellent, that was exactly the pointer I needed - I had not thought to try using Online Update - which as you said offered me the conflict resolution of changing to opensuse branding.
I have no idea what the difference is between ‘upstream’ branding and opensuse branding - Firefox still looks to me to be exactly the same after the change…

Thanks for taking the time to test this on your system for me.

Chris