Opera 26

Opera is no longer in the non-oss repository. Would be great if someone could package it.

If there is no official Opera provided package for your Linux distribution of choice, there are various alternative options that will allow you to install Opera. First and foremost, you should check if your distribution offers recent versions of Opera (version 26 and above). If they do not offer it, you may wish to ask them to consider it. Opera’s license allows it to be repackaged and distributed directly on Linux. A copy of this license is included in our official .deb package. Please refer to it for more details.

I did a package search at software.opensuse.org. And somebody has built opera 26.0.1656.32

I have not tried it.

Well its a start. Hope it officially gets back into the non-oss repository soon.

The package is not viable. It contains nothing but a directory structure and its size is only 33KB.
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/XRevan86:/non-free/openSUSE_13.2/x86_64/

That’s because it’s an installer - it fetches it from the official site but contains shell extensions and other files that are needed.

When you install the rpm (with zypper), it fetches opera-stable_26.0.1656.32_amd64.deb from Opera, installs it in /usr/lib64/opera and the /usr/bin/opera is just a shell script that launches the binary. It uses the chromium pepper flash package to provide Flash support for the browser.

Could someone elaborate on this, or point me to some instructions? Ones that are suitable for someone whose idea of installing anything that doesn’t come out of plain-vanilla YAST is “configure, make, make install”?

Also it looks like that would overwrite/replace my existing Opera install. I don’t want to lose that.

Thanks.

Hi, I work at Opera. Here is a script I wrote that detects and (automatically) downloads the latest Opera release for your chosen stream (stable, beta or developer) then converts it into an rpm.

Or if you would prefer a .spec file](https://gist.github.com/ruario/f0183807a9f708067475).

If you know what you are doing and fully understand all the issues then you can install locally in your /home directory. At least many programs. Some just have to run under root control. But don’t expect a “single click read my mind and do it the way I think” solution. It takes a good deal on knowledge and ability to do it but it can be done. If you want to invest the time learning to then great. But there is little we can do unless you have specific question on the project.Most people are quite happy getting the programs from a repo even if that means some delay from the actual time of release.

BEWARE THE NEW OPERA 26
I might be in time here. As a user of Opera since the year dot, and it being my (very good) e-mail client for many years, I have just run foul of its latest update on an Arch-based Linux. Opera 26 is not an update to its predecessor Opera 12, but a new application [in fact a badge-engineered Google Chromium]. And should be treated as such. It must not simply be offered as an ‘update’ to existing users; it is INcompatible. It takes no notice of existing config files, but establishes its own, new. So all customisations etc will be lost; and far more important, access to all your e-mails too. Unless I have yet to discover how to recover them.
The Arch community did not spot this one, but apparently there the solution is to install ‘opera-legacy’ if you want Opera 12 functionality (e-mails, chat). No-one is asking that this latter should be maintained, only that the new thingy should not wipe out its predecessor.

That script was excellent. It worked without a hitch. Though haven’t tried to install the created RPM yet.
Now I just hope some openSUSE maintainers could put it back into the repository.

Hi,

just want to share my quick & simple way to get Opera 26 (opera-stable-26.0.1656.60, to be more precise) up and running on 64-bit OpenSUSE Tumbleweed:

1. in my case, a dependency on libudev0 was not satisfied, so I grabbed it from software.opensuse.org and installed it (it was libudev0-182-5.2.2.x86_64);

2. got the opera-stable_26.0.1656.60_amd64.deb from Opera’s download page, and converted it to .rpm using:

sudo alien -rcvk …

1. installed the converted rpm package with:

sudo rpm -ivh …

1. there was an initial error about setuid on the sandbox Opera is using, so I had to:

sudo chmod 4755 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/opera_sandbox

and voila :slight_smile: writing from it at the moment …

I myself have no good way of uploading/offering the converted rpm to all, but in case someone has an idea where and how this can be done, please let me know …

That unfortunately is not possible if you use the system-wide install, you lose v12 if you install v26 (but your customizations are in your home folder, so they are preserved)