Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opensuse 13.2 installed from DVD don't see wireless networks but using KDE live it works

Default opensuse 13.2 installed from DVD don't see wireless networks but using KDE live it works

on my laptop samsung RV520 I tried opensuse 13.2 with KDE live dvd before install from DVD 64bit, it worked and detected all wireless networks, so I installed from DVD 64bit in the / partition and not formatting the /home partition, installation went ok, but clicking on network manager icon in the system tray my wireless network (Alice-95374448) wasn't detected in the wireless list.
    the list was:
    CAR_PC_network wpa-psk
    TP-LINK_B02F1B wpa2-psk
    Sitecom1RA9AE wpa2-psk
    as in the the other laptop was correctly detected, so I started with KDE live dvd and my network was correctly detected, the wireless list was:
    Alice-95374448 wpa-psk (at maximum power)
    CAR_PC_network wpa-psk
    TP-LINK_B02F1B wpa2-psk
    Sitecom1RA9AE wpa2-psk
    I started again with the installed 13.2 and again the Alice-95374448 wasn't detected.

How can I have my Alice-95374448 wireless network detected also in the installed 13.2??
    manythanx, :-) pier

Blog Entries

Default Re: opensuse 13.2 installed from DVD don't see wireless networks but using KDE live it works

Did you check whether NetworkManager is running? Maybe it was configured with "wicked".

Does rebooting help?
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Default Re: opensuse 13.2 installed from DVD don't see wireless networks but using KDE live it works

If you are using Network Manager, try turning Enable wireless off, then back on. Does it appear then?
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Did you check whether NetworkManager is running? Maybe it was configured with "wicked".
    going to yast2>Network settings: appear a warning "Network is currently handled by NetworkManager or completely disabled..." clicking ok
    in Global Options tab, in general network settings section, NetworkManager Service is selected as network setup method, if is this what you intend

Does rebooting help?
    rebooting doesn't help

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    If you are using Network Manager, try turning Enable wireless off, then back on. Does it appear then?
    turning Enable wireless off, then back on doesn't help, and also turning airplane mode off, then back on doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    turning Enable wireless off, then back on doesn't help, and also turning airplane mode off, then back on doesn't help.
    Well, was worth a try. I have seen the same symptom, but fixed simply by clicking the network icon in the tray and disabling, re-enabling Wireless will bring my router signal back into the list. So, I guess your problem is caused by something different.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    going to yast2>Network settings: appear a warning "Network is currently handled by NetworkManager or completely disabled..." clicking ok
    Try creating a new user. Maybe it works from there.

One difference between live media and your own install, is that your own install probably has an existing KDE configuration from earlier versions. Trying with a new user would test that possibility.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Try creating a new user. Maybe it works from there.

One difference between live media and your own install, is that your own install probably has an existing KDE configuration from earlier versions. Trying with a new user would test that possibility.
    new user created, made the same tests as the first user, it doesn't works...

Blog Entries

You installed with the DVD installer. It works with the live media.

I can only think of one more possibility. Check "/lib/firmware" on the live media (you will probably have to boot that) and see if it has something that is missing from "/lib/firmware" on your installed system.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

You installed with the DVD installer. It works with the live media.

I can only think of one more possibility. Check "/lib/firmware" on the live media (you will probably have to boot that) and see if it has something that is missing from "/lib/firmware" on your installed system.
    well, it has been harder than I expected... :-)
    to get the content of /lib/firmware/ after reading the ls manual I used this command:
    ls -R -1 > namefile
    this is the liveKDE /lib/firmware content http://paste.opensuse.org/77506233
    this is the DVD installed /lib/firmware content http://paste.opensuse.org/69091482
    and I found these differences: (I used libreoffice to find differences.... if you have a better method please do it)
    -all the files presant in DVD installed are present in liveKDE
    -these files are present il liveKDE and absent in DVD installed
    Code:
    these files are present il liveKDE and absent in DVD installed
    liveaic94xx-seq.fw
    aica_firmware.bin
    asihpi
    atmel_at76c502_3com.bin
    atmel_at76c502_3com-wpa.bin
    atmel_at76c502.bin
    atmel_at76c502d.bin
    atmel_at76c502d-wpa.bin