Firefox V34 - Upgrade with caution...

I have just downgraded back to 33.0-2.1 (from todays update to 34.0.5-5.4) after experiencing a couple of problems, which for the moment I don’t really have time to investigate further.

With V 34.0.5-5.4

There appears to have been a change to the method used to detect “password entry”, by Firefox. The master password dialogue does not appear for (many) sites on which it had previously worked. (amazon.co.uk and this forum, just for a couple of examples).

The icon for the extension “Ghostery” now absolutely refuses to stay in the navigation toolbar after a restart of Firefox, furthermore, it no longer appears as an option in “Customise” so one is unable to easily add it back.

On the test system where I upgraded to 34, it immediately disabled “flashblock” >:(

I noticed the new Search UI wasn’t implemented for us US-en users in the OBS/mozilla build, so went into about:config and changed browser.search.showOneOffButtons to true.

Yesterday Firefox 34.0.5-50.3 was available from the update repo. Maybe you should update to 34.0.5-50.3 and see if it fixes your problems.

Firefox comes with Click-to-Play, so I don’t use Flashblock or Ghostery.

Interesting comments. I’m using Tumbleweed, have Firefox 34.0.5 and it’s been so good to me that I didn’t know it’d been recently upgraded until I read this thread causing me to check my system to see what I had. Just saying that I’m not seeing those issues - regardless, hope y’all soon see a fix. :wink:

That is the new implementation of the Add-ons=>Plugins

There are now 3 choices instead of 2:

• Ask to Activate
  • Always Activate
  • Never Activate

… but I still use Ghostery.

And, speaking of Ghostery, there appears to be some vulnerability that allows something on the web to disable and/or corrupt it while browsing, and inject a hijack to some advertising or similar.

I have recovered it twice and killed the hijack by deleting the Firefox profile and restoring it from a good backup copy. Both the Ghostery disable and the hijack appear to occur at the same time. This has been mentioned in another thread in the forum.

:stuck_out_tongue: such fun…

Eventually sorted … I think.

Master password: It would appear that for some unknown reason “logins.json” had became corrupted. Now in the process of re-entering all of the passwords site by site…

Ghostery: This seems to have been a variation of an old problem, which has been “solved” at several points in history by various bug-fixes on Ghostery’s part. The final fix, which does seem to have worked, is to start afresh with a completely new Firefox profile… hmm… didn’t realise just how much I’d customised Firefox over the years.

Brief RSS reader has also been broken by V34, awaiting a fix from the author.

On a more general note there seems to have been quite a few “internal” changes to Firefox lately … I don’t think the version upgrades always go quite as planned. I’ve been a Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox user for a very long time, but am beginning to think it’s time to look at alternative browsers. Each new version seems to just add more bloat and features that, quite simply, I don’t want and will never use.

Can’t say I’ve came across that, but worth knowing. Thanks.

It seems as if something else, something more subtle, must have gone awry as well.

Starting with the upgrade to 34.0.5 yesterday I couldn’t open the entire webpage www.opensuse.org (said Firefox is running in an openSuSE 13.1 VM accessed via XDMCP). Checking on my other box which runs a Linux without virtualization it works like a charm. Plus accessing this site from a Win7 VM works as well (this is where I’m coming from now).
However, any other site that I have accessed so far has been opened without any problems - it’s just www.opensuse.org that cannot load (catches a RST every time I attempt to open it). When I checked loading a page from the server with wget, it worked without any problems.
Switching Firefox to Safe mode didn’t help, either.

I know that before the upgrade (I have been using 33.0.x) everything worked just fine.

It looks as if “flashblock” has been updated since then. So I’m updating to the new “flashblock” before I go with the firefox update.

I updated several other extensions while I was about it.

Just to be safe I’d keep a copy of the existing “logins.json”… here, firefox certainly “did something” to the file when first starting V34.

With 34 I no longer had my save passwords auto entered at the login screen and if I removed the login entry it would not ask if I wanted it to remember. Dropping back to 33 and it was working again.

Is this a bug or a feature :stuck_out_tongue:

That, is exactly the problem I had… as per the first post in this thread.

Unfortunately I could find no way around it. Resorted to deleting logins.json and am now in the process of entering all of the passwords I had saved on a site by site basis.>:(

Edit: had an idea…

Too late for me to try, but…

What if on your working V33 you installed “Password Exporter” https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/password-exporter/ export the password to xml.

Then on V34 also install Password Exporter", and with an empty logins.json import the previously saved passwords.

It does not ask me to save the password when entering a new one. Tested on this site I removed the password hopping I’d get asked again to save the password. Nope did not work dropping back to 33 and again I got my passwords asking to be saved. Something is broken in 34. I don’t think you will get it to work

It needs reported but not sure if it is a openSUSE problem or upstream Mozilla problem.

It’s working correctly on sites that I’ve re-entered so far…

Like yourself I initially removed the site from the master passwords, that didn’t work. It was only after I had deleted logins.json that I was able to save passwords again.

I’d still try the suggestion of exporting from V33, deleting the V34 logins.json, start V34 and import… it might work.

Sorry, I’m unclear if you had tried that.

Nope black listed 34 for the moment so it does not come back in

There was already a report on Bugzilla I suggest all the are experiencing the problem report it at

Bug 908918](https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=908918)

https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=908918

I added my 2 cents

I have a backup. We shall see what happens. I’ll do the update tomorrow morning.

I moved the updates a little earlier than stated.

Thus far, everything is working. Login to opensuse forums was fine.

I’ll note that I do use a master password. The login/password information is kept in “signons.sqlite” as far as I know.

I had master password set too. but then turned it off because it was a pain. Well for me any way I start FF several times a day. . I could see and edit my password info it just would not go to the log in page and if no password was set it would not ask to add one.

BTW still on 13.1

I’m using the “Secure Login” extension. So I click a button to have it fill in the password. I guess I cannot directly check whether your problem applies here.