Thread: Camera, Smart Phone picture download question

Default Camera, Smart Phone picture download question

What is the secret to downloading the pictures from my Fuji FinePix S-2940 camera and my Blackberry cell phone?

Those two devices and DeLorme Topo North America (maps) force me to keep a Windows computer around.

Cordially,
    TwoHoot
    #1 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; AMD A6-3670; Radeon(tm) HD; 8gb memory; 500 gb HD; KDE 5.12.8
    #2 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; Toshiba Satellite L70-A (Dual Boot - Win10); KDE 5.12.8
    #3 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; AMD A6-6400K; Radeon HD; 8gb memory; 1tb HD; KDE 5.12.8

Blog Entries

Default Re: Camera, Smart Phone picture download question

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHoot View Post
    What is the secret to downloading the pictures from my Fuji FinePix S-2940 camera and my Blackberry cell phone?
    The Fuji camera is likely to be handled as a generic PTP device. (Many models are explicitly supported, but even those that are not are often handled as a generic device.) Which desktop environment are you using? If you have gphoto installed, you can plug the camera in and check how it is detected
    Code:
    gphoto2 -a
    Otherwise, observe what is reported when the device is connected via USB
    Code:
    dmesg|tail
    I use KDE for example, and the notifier provides options to view the photos via Gwenview or navigate the files with Dolphin.

I'm not sure/confident about your Blackberry device though. (It would depend on the model I would think.)

Those two devices and DeLorme Topo North America (maps) force me to keep a Windows computer around.

Cordially,
    TwoHoot
    Hardware/software vendors need to do their bit to support Linux. When they choose not to, it's not always possible (legally or technically) for the open source community to work around it. I have a Garmin GPS unit in this category. In order to update it, I use Windows software. However, it does show up as a storage device from a Linux perspective.