Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Horrified by 13.2's aquamarine theme -- want 13.1's lime-green theme

Default Horrified by 13.2's aquamarine theme -- want 13.1's lime-green theme

Hello. SuSE was my very first serious Linux distro but then switched to Kubuntu after SuSE 9.3 (probably around the time openSUSE started). Now I'm back, mostly because of SuSE's priority support to BtrFS and the superior package management savviness (including rolling release Tumbleweed).

And I was glad to note that SuSE (on first look at websites) has retained its lime-green-based colour scheme since such a bright green is my favourite colour, with bright blue (Kubuntu) being a second preference. However when I downloaded and installed the latest openSUSE release 13.2 (KDE), I was horrified to see the dark danky dismal aquamarine theme, especially that contour-map-like background which seems like the underside of some murky lake, LOL!

IMO a brighter colour (or at least some dark colour which is not so dismal) should have been chosen to encourage people to use this great distro, and I really don't know why the current scheme was chosen over the lime-green theme which seems to have continued at least until 13.1. I hope future releases will fix this.

Now I really really want to have the 13.1 lime-green scheme all around, starting from GRUB. Please tell me what to do to get the old theming? Should I download the *-branding-openSUSE packages from the 13.1 repos and lock them?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Horrified by 13.2's aquamarine theme -- want 13.1's lime-green theme

I'm not "horrified". But I do think the 12.3/13.1 artwork was outstanding.

However, the 13.1 artwork was a bit stark and I think would eventually become tiresome. So I can see why they replaced it.

There is an installable package "gos-wallpapers" with "good old suse wallpapers". But, unfortunately, it seems to be from 2010. If somebody could update that to 2014, I would be going back to the 13.1 default wallpaper.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Default Re: Horrified by 13.2's aquamarine theme -- want 13.1's lime-green theme

I too am not keen on that contour map. But the beauty of kde is the ability to change the bits you don't like from system settings. So in the end I am just as happy ....happier if I'm honest as I love tinkering with things to get them "just right"

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinclaw View Post
    I too am not keen on that contour map.
    No, neither was I... too harsh on my poor old eyes.

However, give it a good old gaussian blur using gimp and it's far more acceptable, at least to me.

( Images are located at: /usr/share/wallpapers/openSUSEdefault/contents/images )
    Regards, Paul

Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20190918) KDE Plasma 5
    Non-Tumbling Tumblweed (20150508) KDE 4 - Resurrected
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

[QUOTE=tannington;2680926]However, give it a good old gaussian blur using gimp and it's far more acceptable, at least to me. /QUOTE]Or in my case take my glasses off

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinclaw View Post
    I too am not keen on that contour map. But the beauty of kde is the ability to change the bits you don't like from system settings. So in the end I am just as happy ....happier if I'm honest as I love tinkering with things to get them "just right"
    Sure, for people who are SUSE-lovers -- but my point is that it is highly unattractive for somebody who is approaching the distro from outside. Granted, everybody's taste is not the same, so probably whoever release master chose this artwork thought it was neat, but really I do think it should have been more bright and hip (with a few nice whorls or particle effects or such). Looks like some armadillo armor to me...

I do hope they go back to the same lime colour scheme as before. Granted, if they don't have the time/resources to produce new artwork for each release, they can better retain what is liked by people, rather than introduce something new which is awkward, to say the least. Kubuntu has for long retained the same bright blue/purple scheme right from the boot splash, and I didn't hear anyone complaining (though I personally don't all that much dig their default Elarun).

While we're at this (though it's OT of my original subject) openSUSE initial installer itself is a tad too forbiddingly technical for the ordinary computer user to approach. Kubuntu's Ubiquity installer OTOH is much more pleasant and simple IMO... Of course, for those more technically inclined, we welcome such configurability, but still it seems it could be simplified a bit for ordinary users with an expert mode separately available, but, as I said, that's more properly discussed in a separate thread.

So to return to my original query: do people think it would be sufficient if I just pull in the branding-openSUSE packs from the old 13.1 repos, or would that break something else?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jamadagni View Post
    So to return to my original query: do people think it would be sufficient if I just pull in the branding-openSUSE packs from the old 13.1 repos, or would that break something else?
    That will probably cause conflicts. But switching to the upstream branding is likely to be fine.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by jamadagni View Post
    Take a look at this post:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...31#post2680231

... I don't see why the basic principle can't apply "in reverse", ie, substitute 13.1 for 13.2 ... which is what you were intending to try anyway.
    Regards, Paul

Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20190918) KDE Plasma 5
    Non-Tumbling Tumblweed (20150508) KDE 4 - Resurrected
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

Default Re: Horrified by 13.2's aquamarine theme -- want 13.1's lime-greentheme

On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 13:16:01 +0000, Penguinclaw wrote:

> But the beauty of kde is the ability to change the bits you don't like
    > from system settings.

Obviously, that feature isn't exclusive to KDE.

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast