Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to run KDE desktop without Akonadi?

Default Is it possible to run KDE desktop without Akonadi?

Is it possible to run KDE desktop without Akonadi?

I will turn off indexing and compositing. I use another mail client, never used any of the other KDE office apps ever. LibreOffice...hello But I do like Knotes (just for the yellow sticky notes), KAlarm (just for the daily popups), and Kate. But apps like okular and dolphin should be okay...

It appears you don't have to use Akonadi if you do not use any of KDE's office apps. I can replace Knotes and Kalarm, and I don't see that Kate uses it. Darn, the digital clock uses it.
    https://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#Dis...nadi_subsystem

Anyone customize KDE in this fashion? When I install 13.2, should I uncheck anything from the packages to prevent it from being installed in the first place?

Default AW: Is it possible to run KDE desktop without Akonadi?

Quote Originally Posted by opensuseforumorg42 View Post
    Yes.
    Actually Akonadi is only started if some application wants to use it.
    So it shouldn't be running by default anyway.

Check that you do not have "Show events" enabled in the panel's digital clock's settings, as this does require Akonadi (it shows all events stored in your Akonadi calendars).

I will turn off indexing and compositing.
    That's totally unrelated to Akonadi.

I use another mail client, never used any of the other KDE office apps ever. LibreOffice...hello
    KDE's "office" apps (calligra-*) should not use Akonadi though.
    Akonadi is KDE's PIM storage framework.

But I do like Knotes (just for the yellow sticky notes), KAlarm (just for the daily popups), and Kate.
    Well, Knotes and KAlarm do require Akonadi.

Kate doesn't though.

It appears you don't have to use Akonadi if you do not use any of KDE's office apps. I can replace Knotes and Kalarm, and I don't see that Kate uses it. Darn, the digital clock uses it.
    https://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#Dis...nadi_subsystem
    See above. The digital clock's option to use it is _disabled_ by default on openSUSE though.

Anyone customize KDE in this fashion?
    I haven't, as I use nearly all of the KDEPIM apps: KMail, KOrganizer, KAddressbook, Knotes, and the digital clock's "Show events".

But again, Akonadi should _not_ be started automatically on a default openSUSE installation.

When I install 13.2, should I uncheck anything from the packages to prevent it from being installed in the first place?
    If you want to get rid of akonadi, you can uninstall akonadi-runtime, or deselect it during installation. This will of course remove/prevent from installing all other packages that require it.
    You probably should even lock/taboo it, otherwise it might get reinstalled with updates.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 04-Dec-2014 at 16:45.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is it possible to run KDE desktop without Akonadi?

"Akonadi" is not running here.

I didn't do anything to turn it off. It just doesn't run.

As far as I know, it is started by some processes, such as "kmail", and I am not using any of those processes. (Using "claws-mail" for email when I need a GUI client).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Darn, the digital clock uses it.
    It isn't using it here. But then I am not using the calendar, and I did not check the "Display Event" box for calendar settings.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    It isn't using it here. But then I am not using the calendar, and I did not check the "Display Event" box for calendar settings.
    Enabling that option would start Akonadi on login.
    But it is disabled by default on openSUSE.

Great! I will:

• Uncheck show events in the digital clock
    • Mark akonadi-runtime taboo
    • I'll probably stick with LibreOffice, although it is good to know calligra* does not use it.

When I run MATE I taboo'ed KDE runtime, so I would not inadvertently install a KDE app and prerequisites. I thought KDE office was KOffice... hhmmm, I read more about the fork, "KDE's Calligra KOffice fork". It seems like KDE is going away from naming apps Kwhatever (??). It was always easy to find apps. That is one thing I notice with MATE, I'm always asking myself.... now what did they call it again

When I run MATE I taboo'ed KDE runtime, so I would not inadvertently install a KDE app and prerequisites.
    Without kdebase4-runtime (if that's what you mean), you won't be able to install/run any KDE4 application I suppose...

It seems like KDE is going away from naming apps Kwhatever (??).
    Yes, this is a trend that started years ago already (in KDE that is).

But regarding KOffice, it has been forked by most of the old developers. They _had_ to rename it because KOffice already existed of course (you cannot fork something and call it the same, think of OpenOffice and LibreOffice). And some (only one I think) developers insisted on continuing KOffice "their way" (that's why the others had to fork it in the first place), although it seems to have stalled completely meanwhile of course.
    Your link does mention some of the struggles back then on a quick glance...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 09-Dec-2014 at 07:02.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Without kdebase4-runtime (if that's what you mean), you won't be able to install/run any KDE4 application I suppose...
    Sorry, I should have made it clear that these were machines with only the MATE desktop. KDE needed to be totally out of the picture.

But now, with KDE, without KDE PIMS, I taboo'ed akonadi-runtime.

Just testing, I tried to be more aggressive and taboo'ed kdepimlibs4, libakonadi4, libdepimlibs4, libakonadiprotocolinternals, but Kate and Calligra (going to compare it to LibreOffice) complained about dependencies, so I left them alone. When I search for "kate" in YaST software management and looked at the dependencies I do not see these, but I suppose something else in that list requires them. It seems the general rule is, taboo apps and runtimes but not libraries.

But now, with KDE, without KDE PIMS, I taboo'ed akonadi-runtime.
    This should definitely prevent akonadi from starting, as akonadiserver is contained in that package.

It seems the general rule is, taboo apps and runtimes but not libraries.
    Yes.

And the same is true for other things, not only akonadi.
    You cannot get rid of libpulse or libibus either, e.g.
    But that's the reason why the packages are split up as they are...

On the other hand, was hoping to run the calendar and PIM apps from KDE on my Toshiba notebook (Intel i5 Core), but they won't run because of a problem with Akonadi:

Code:
    Akonadi Server Self-Test Report
    ===============================

Test 1:  SUCCESS
    --------

Database driver found.
    Details: The QtSQL driver 'QMYSQL' is required by your current Akonadi server configuration and was found on your system.

File content of '/home/konsultor/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc':
    [%General]
    Driver=QMYSQL

[QMYSQL]
    Name=akonadi
    Host=
    Options="UNIX_SOCKET=/home/konsultor/.local/share/akonadi/socket-Linshiba/mysql.socket"
    ServerPath=/usr/sbin/mysqld
    StartServer=false

[Debug]
    Tracer=null

Test 2:  SUCCESS
    --------

Akonadi is not running as root
    Details: Akonadi is not running as a root/administrator user, which is the recommended setup for a secure system.

Test 3:  SKIP
    --------

MySQL server executable not tested.
    Details: The current configuration does not require an internal MySQL server.

Test 4:  SKIP
    --------

MySQL server error log not tested.

Test 5:  SKIP
    --------

MySQL server configuration not tested.

Test 6:  SUCCESS
    --------

akonadictl found and usable
    Details: The program '/usr/bin/akonadictl' to control the Akonadi server was found and could be executed successfully.
    Result:
    Akonadi 1.13.0

Test 7:  ERROR
    --------

Akonadi control process not registered at D-Bus.
    Details: The Akonadi control process is not registered at D-Bus which typically means it was not started or encountered a fatal error during startup.

Test 8:  ERROR
    --------

Akonadi server process not registered at D-Bus.
    Details: The Akonadi server process is not registered at D-Bus which typically means it was not started or encountered a fatal error during startup.

Test 9:  SKIP
    --------

Protocol version check not possible.
    Details: Without a connection to the server it is not possible to check if the protocol version meets the requirements.

Test 10:  ERROR
    --------

No resource agents found.
    Details: No resource agents have been found, Akonadi is not usable without at least one. This usually means that no resource agents are installed or that there is a setup problem. The following paths have been searched: '/usr/share/akonadi/agents'. The XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable is set to '/usr/share:/usr/share'; make sure this includes all paths where Akonadi agents are installed.

Directory listing of '/usr/share/akonadi/agents':
    akonadibalooindexingagent.desktop
    akonadinepomukfeederagent.desktop
    akonotesresource.desktop
    archivemailagent.desktop
    birthdaysresource.desktop
    contactsresource.desktop
    davgroupwareresource.desktop
    facebookresource.desktop
    folderarchiveagent.desktop
    followupreminder.desktop
    googlecalendarresource.desktop
    googlecontactsresource.desktop
    icaldirresource.desktop
    icalresource.desktop
    imapresource.desktop
    invitationsagent.desktop
    kabcresource.desktop
    kalarmdirresource.desktop
    kalarmresource.desktop
    kcalresource.desktop
    kdeaccountsresource.desktop
    kolabproxyresource.desktop
    kolabresource.desktop
    localbookmarksresource.desktop
    maildirresource.desktop
    maildispatcheragent.desktop
    mailfilteragent.desktop
    mboxresource.desktop
    migrationagent.desktop
    mixedmaildirresource.desktop
    mtdummyresource.desktop
    newmailnotifieragent.desktop
    nntpresource.desktop
    notesagent.desktop
    notesresource.desktop
    openxchangeresource.desktop
    pop3resource.desktop
    sendlateragent.desktop
    vcarddirresource.desktop
    vcardresource.desktop

Environment variable XDG_DATA_DIRS is set to '/usr/share:/usr/share'

Test 11:  ERROR
    --------

Current Akonadi server error log found.
    Details: The Akonadi server reported errors during its current startup. The log can be found in <a href='/home/konsultor/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error'>/home/konsultor/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error</a>.

File content of '/home/konsultor/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error':
    Database error: Cannot open database. 
      Last driver error: "QMYSQL: Unable to connect" 
      Last database error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/home/konsultor/.local/share/akonadi/socket-Linshiba/mysql.socket' (2 "No such file or directory")" 
    Unable to open database "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/home/konsultor/.local/share/akonadi/socket-Linshiba/mysql.socket' (2 "No such file or directory") QMYSQL: Unable to connect" 
    "[
    0: akonadiserver(_Z11akBacktracev+0x37) [0x46d747]
    1: akonadiserver() [0x46d9a2]
    2: /lib64/libc.so.6(+0x35200) [0x7fc75ee91200]
    3: /lib64/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x37) [0x7fc75ee91187]
    4: /lib64/libc.so.6(abort+0x118) [0x7fc75ee92538]
    5: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_Z17qt_message_output9QtMsgTypePKc+0x64) [0x7fc7606912b4]
    6: akonadiserver(_ZN15FileDebugStream9writeDataEPKcx+0x9d) [0x46fb5d]
    7: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN9QIODevice5writeEPKcx+0xb0) [0x7fc76072b5b0]
    8: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(+0x120bdd) [0x7fc76073abdd]
    9: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN11QTextStreamD1Ev+0x31) [0x7fc7607437c1]
    10: akonadiserver(_ZN7Akonadi6Server13AkonadiServer4initEv+0x527) [0x473377]
    11: akonadiserver() [0x549836]
    12: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN7QObject5eventEP6QEvent+0x24e) [0x7fc7607b559e]
    13: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN16QCoreApplication14notifyInternalEP7QObjectP6QEvent+0x6d) [0x7fc76079d2ad]
    14: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN23QCoreApplicationPrivate16sendPostedEventsEP7QObjectiP11QThreadData+0x1ed) [0x7fc7607a057d]
    15: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(+0x1b08fe) [0x7fc7607ca8fe]
    16: /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_main_context_dispatch+0x254) [0x7fc75e562a04]
    17: /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0(+0x4bc48) [0x7fc75e562c48]
    18: /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_main_context_iteration+0x2c) [0x7fc75e562cec]
    19: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN20QEventDispatcherGlib13processEventsE6QFlagsIN10QEventLoop17ProcessEventsFlagEE+0x7e) [0x7fc7607ca0be]
    20: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN10QEventLoop13processEventsE6QFlagsINS_17ProcessEventsFlagEE+0x2f) [0x7fc76079be6f]
    21: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN10QEventLoop4execE6QFlagsINS_17ProcessEventsFlagEE+0x175) [0x7fc76079c165]
    22: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN16QCoreApplication4execEv+0x89) [0x7fc7607a15b9]
    23: akonadiserver(main+0x1ce) [0x4670ae]
    24: /lib64/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf5) [0x7fc75ee7db05]
    25: akonadiserver() [0x46789e]
    ]
    " 

Test 12:  ERROR
    --------

Previous Akonadi server error log found.
    Details: The Akonadi server reported errors during its previous startup. The log can be found in <a href='/home/konsultor/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error.old'>/home/konsultor/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error.old</a>.

File content of '/home/konsultor/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error.old':
    Database error: Cannot open database. 
      Last driver error: "QMYSQL: Unable to connect" 
      Last database error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/home/konsultor/.local/share/akonadi/socket-Linshiba/mysql.socket' (2 "No such file or directory")" 
    Unable to open database "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/home/konsultor/.local/share/akonadi/socket-Linshiba/mysql.socket' (2 "No such file or directory") QMYSQL: Unable to connect" 
    "[
    0: akonadiserver(_Z11akBacktracev+0x37) [0x46d747]
    1: akonadiserver() [0x46d9a2]
    2: /lib64/libc.so.6(+0x35200) [0x7f8f6383d200]
    3: /lib64/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x37) [0x7f8f6383d187]
    4: /lib64/libc.so.6(abort+0x118) [0x7f8f6383e538]
    5: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_Z17qt_message_output9QtMsgTypePKc+0x64) [0x7f8f6503d2b4]
    6: akonadiserver(_ZN15FileDebugStream9writeDataEPKcx+0x9d) [0x46fb5d]
    7: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN9QIODevice5writeEPKcx+0xb0) [0x7f8f650d75b0]
    8: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(+0x120bdd) [0x7f8f650e6bdd]
    9: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN11QTextStreamD1Ev+0x31) [0x7f8f650ef7c1]
    10: akonadiserver(_ZN7Akonadi6Server13AkonadiServer4initEv+0x527) [0x473377]
    11: akonadiserver() [0x549836]
    12: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN7QObject5eventEP6QEvent+0x24e) [0x7f8f6516159e]
    13: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN16QCoreApplication14notifyInternalEP7QObjectP6QEvent+0x6d) [0x7f8f651492ad]
    14: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN23QCoreApplicationPrivate16sendPostedEventsEP7QObjectiP11QThreadData+0x1ed) [0x7f8f6514c57d]
    15: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(+0x1b08fe) [0x7f8f651768fe]
    16: /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_main_context_dispatch+0x254) [0x7f8f62f0ea04]
    17: /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0(+0x4bc48) [0x7f8f62f0ec48]
    18: /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_main_context_iteration+0x2c) [0x7f8f62f0ecec]
    19: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN20QEventDispatcherGlib13processEventsE6QFlagsIN10QEventLoop17ProcessEventsFlagEE+0x7e) [0x7f8f651760be]
    20: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN10QEventLoop13processEventsE6QFlagsINS_17ProcessEventsFlagEE+0x2f) [0x7f8f65147e6f]
    21: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN10QEventLoop4execE6QFlagsINS_17ProcessEventsFlagEE+0x175) [0x7f8f65148165]
    22: /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN16QCoreApplication4execEv+0x89) [0x7f8f6514d5b9]
    23: akonadiserver(main+0x1ce) [0x4670ae]
    24: /lib64/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf5) [0x7f8f63829b05]
    25: akonadiserver() [0x46789e]
    ]
    " 

Test 13:  SUCCESS
    --------

No current Akonadi control error log found.
    Details: The Akonadi control process did not report any errors during its current startup.

Test 14:  SUCCESS
    --------

No previous Akonadi control error log found.
    Details: The Akonadi control process did not report any errors during its previous startup.
    The same disk loaded on the Toshiba NB was used to install 13.2 on an AMD desktop. There akonadi starts on boot and the calendar app runs.
    On the notebook, Yast2 Services Manager shows mysql is Enabled/Active; akonodi does not appear on the list.
    Suggestions?
    Leap/KDE and a film-based photographer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast