Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is that **** button that hides all my windows in KDE ??

Default What is that **** button that hides all my windows in KDE ??

I have had this experience when I press the combo of:

<window key> + <tab> that my windows goes missing into the land of the la-la. I don't really know where they went and usually have to restart my browser of my konsole session which is really irritating. Googling for kde key combo does not tell me much. Anyone have any idea what this combination of keys actually do and better yet how do I reverse it's effect ?

Default Re: What is that **** button that hides all my windows in KDE ??

Quote Originally Posted by lowks View Post
    Anyone have any idea what this combination of keys actually do and better yet how do I reverse it's effect ?
    Press <window key>+<tab> again (maybe a few times)?

<window key>+<tab> switches to the next activity. Each activity has its own set of applications/windows, the task manager only shows those by default (it can be configured to show _all_ though regardless of the activity).
    You can right-click on a window's titlebar to move a window to a specific activity, or to have it show up in _all_ activitites.

Press <window key>+<Q> or click on the 3 dots in the panel to open the "Activity Manager". You can directly switch to any activity there. You probably want to switch back to "Desktop" to get all your windows back.
    And you can stop activities there by clicking on the "stop" button, so you don't switch to them by mistake any more. (you could even delete them if you want)
    Last edited by wolfi323; 03-Dec-2014 at 05:49.

On 2014-12-03, lowks <lowks@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    >
    > I have had this experience when I press the combo of:
    >
    ><window key> + <tab> that my windows goes missing into the land of the
    > la-la. I don't really know where they went and usually have to restart
    > my browser of my konsole session which is really irritating. Googling
    > for kde key combo does not tell me much. Anyone have any idea what this
    > combination of keys actually do and better yet how do I reverse it's
    > effect ?
    >

First of all, the *** button and Meta-tab shorcut (it's only the `Windows' key in Windows) are _very_ good things in
    KDE, and if you don't like them, you should consider switching DE, because the `Activities' facility is something that
    makes KDE unique, and in my opinion better than any other DE. For a demystification of Activities see
    http://www.datamation.com/open-sourc...ivities-1.html .

However, if you insist on using KDE without using one its core functionalities, you only need to `stop' all your other
    activies. This is done by pressing `Meta-Q', and pressing the `stop' sign (black square) on all the non-Desktop
    Activities leaving you with the facility to switch DE screens only with Virtual Desktops (if you have more than one
    active, which I imagine you don't).

Thanks people for all the insightful answers!

Quote Originally Posted by flymail View Post
    On 2014-12-03, lowks <lowks@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    >
    > I have had this experience when I press the combo of:
    >
    ><window key> + <tab> that my windows goes missing into the land of the
    > la-la. I don't really know where they went and usually have to restart
    > my browser of my konsole session which is really irritating. Googling
    > for kde key combo does not tell me much. Anyone have any idea what this
    > combination of keys actually do and better yet how do I reverse it's
    > effect ?
    >

First of all, the *** button and Meta-tab shorcut (it's only the `Windows' key in Windows) are _very_ good things in
    KDE, and if you don't like them, you should consider switching DE, because the `Activities' facility is something that
    makes KDE unique, and in my opinion better than any other DE. For a demystification of Activities see
    http://www.datamation.com/open-sourc...ivities-1.html .

However, if you insist on using KDE without using one its core functionalities, you only need to `stop' all your other
    activies. This is done by pressing `Meta-Q', and pressing the `stop' sign (black square) on all the non-Desktop
    Activities leaving you with the facility to switch DE screens only with Virtual Desktops (if you have more than one
    active, which I imagine you don't).
    ???

Just because you like and use it, does not mean that everyone should "or else leave".

I use KDE my own way, which actually does not involve "Activities" very often, either. And, I am not leaving, because I like it.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Cant you also do something very KDE like, change keybindings? "Configure Desktop", "Shortcuts and Gestures" - see under "Global Keyboard Shortcuts", and as component pick "Plasma Desktop Shell". Away it goes or does something else.

KDE reminds me of this old saying:
    A user interface is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's not that good.

demystifying is not better. May be a lazy user came up with that one liner? Could be, but also food for thought for some developers.

Does not matter that much with KDE since all or most stones in shoe can be removed by OWNING options. If something is stupid disable or change it. Offering a way out is best KDE core feature.

http://yuenhoe.com/blog/2011/01/the-...an-do-for-you/ This 2011 article and even more the comments explain why activities feature is work of the devil or must-have. Die hard KDE fans argue

Dont get me wrong. I am hardcore KDE supporter and fan. I really love KDE SC more than GNOME. But so far no one, No one has not could tell why Activities are better than virtual desktops or how they would resolve problems easier and better way than what virtual desktops could ever do.
    Is so opinion based it hurts but really more of a settings issue I think. True no one is forced to use them but there is no big "DISABLE" button which remove "activities" term 100% from interface. It is in Power Management! = hard coded in to KDE. Of course it is or it would not work but might send bad vibes to people who dislike concept and to those who like simpler DEs but is now trying KDE because hmm "features". Not the same as they accept "the more the better" mentality.

Not possible to make everyone happy but I would love a "disable entirely" button.

Well when first introduced activities really did not work well. However they seem to work well today. So here is a general usage scenario.

Say you are a person that has several different jobs, say 4. Now each job is complex and may take up one or more virtual desktops to work efficiently each VD pointing to a different directory. But the directories and the application may be different for job 1 2 3 and 4. So for each job you set up the VDs to work for that job and save it as an activity. Now you can move from job to job via the meta-tab keys. Now probably not a lot of people need that level of abstraction but it is nice if you do need it. So don't think of it as an aggravation think of it as a super feature.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Well when first introduced activities really did not work well. However they seem to work well today. So here is a general usage scenario.

Say you are a person that has several different jobs, say 4. Now each job is complex and may take up one or more virtual desktops to work efficiently each VD ...
    I have always used Virtual Desktops for different activities and use the mouse wheel to scroll through them. I have the Pager on the Task Manager bar, which provides a quick visual cue of what's going on (Configure Desktop -> Workspace Behavior -> Virtural Desktops). I tried KDE Activities, but it was a little overkill and less efficient for me. There are a lot of features in KDE, and the great thing is, for the most part, the user can customize the desktop for efficiency, performance, and enjoyment.
    Article at ghacks.net on KDE Pager.

As far as keyboard shortcuts go, checkout: Configure Desktop -> Shortcuts and Gestures.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by js9600 View Post
    Not possible to make everyone happy but I would love a "disable entirely" button.
    A few versions back, I turned off the startup of power manager (in "Startup and Shutdown"). I discovered that this also disabled activities, though that was not why I disabled the startup.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast