Thread: Bug reporting opensuse and kernel panic

Angry Bug reporting opensuse and kernel panic

Long story short:

1) installed 13.2 on my Asus G750JZ Laptop
    2) with the included kernel many function keys (dim screen/keyboard etc) are non functional and kernel panics (not syncing with CPUXX) on shutdown
    3) moved the kernel to the Kernel:stable branch (3.17.2)
    4) functionality for keys etc are now ok, but everytime I shut the system down (shutdown or restart), the system goes into a kernel panic

5) I went to try to file a bug report for the kernel panic in bugzilla, but holy hell that is not straightforward to do !!

I'm looking for help on the kernel panic and a possible resolution, as well as walking through how to file a darn bug report using bugzilla!

Thanks!

DH

Default Re: Bug reporting opensuse and kernel panic

Are you using Tumbleweed? I only ask because my kernel is 3.16.6-2 and I have everything updated for 13.2. If so you will be better posting under the Tumbleweed (Factory) heading in this forum. As for the Bugzilla reporting, this may prove helpful: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Sub...portsDon't forget to include as much info as possible about your system, version of openSUSE and what you have tried.

Thanks for the response,

I'm using 13.2 but as I mentioned I get kernel panics on 3.16.6-2 and a number of laptop functions don' work. Due to this I moved my kernel ahead to 3.17.2 using the stable Kernel branch but the kernel panics still persist.

The error is specifically:

Kernel Panic - not syncing: Watchdog detected hard LOCKUP on cpu 3

I will look at the link, but the problem in bugzilla was choosing an ID ? without it I can't file anything... I'll see what the link you have shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinclaw View Post
    Are you using Tumbleweed? I only ask because my kernel is 3.16.6-2 and I have everything updated for 13.2. If so you will be better posting under the Tumbleweed (Factory) heading in this forum. As for the Bugzilla reporting, this may prove helpful: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Sub...portsDon't forget to include as much info as possible about your system, version of openSUSE and what you have tried.

I must admit I don't know an awful lot about laptops (looks like a nice machine by the way). I have noticed a few issues by googling but nothing that springs to mind as a clear answer. Sorry I can't be more help.

I have the same ASUS G750JZ and the same problem occures. Everytime when I restart OpenSUSE I see kernel panic.
    I'll try to update kernel, install Nvidia driver and we will see.

Please write your kernel bug number/link and i'll join it.