Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Font rendering - The reason I feel like switching from openSUSE

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    17

    Default Font rendering - The reason I feel like switching from openSUSE

    First let me say this. I've been running openSUSE for many, many years but lately, I just can't handle the poor font rendering. Infinality font patches are old and don't work nearly as well as on Archlinux (which I'm less fond of than openSUSE) but they have an infinality-bundle plus infinality-bundle-fonts which makes the desktop look so much better. I love openSUSE to bits but the font rendering out of the box is so bad it's painful.

    I'm wondering if someone has a method that they can share that they've used successfully to render an acceptable look. I've been struggling with this for far too long and it feels frustrating to have to do so much work just to make the desktop look respectable.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,004

    Default Re: Font rendering - The reason I feel like switching from openSUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by cmscritic View Post
    Infinality font patches are old
    I checked the AUR package for Arch and they use exactly the same patches as those available from
    Code:
    home:ZaWertun:freetype-infinality
    repository.
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

    .: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,673
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Font rendering - The reason I feel like switching from openSUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by cmscritic View Post
    First let me say this. I've been running openSUSE for many, many years but lately, I just can't handle the poor font rendering. Infinality font patches are old and don't work nearly as well as on Archlinux (which I'm less fond of than openSUSE) but they have an infinality-bundle plus infinality-bundle-fonts which makes the desktop look so much better. I love openSUSE to bits but the font rendering out of the box is so bad it's painful.

    I'm wondering if someone has a method that they can share that they've used successfully to render an acceptable look. I've been struggling with this for far too long and it feels frustrating to have to do so much work just to make the desktop look respectable.
    Hi
    You should only need FreeType these days;
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_13.2/

    Big long thread on the ML;
    http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-f.../msg00037.html
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,004

    Default Re: Font rendering - The reason I feel like switching from openSUSE

    What concerns me greatly is why isn't this in the distribution by default without the need for 3rd party repositories.

    Fonts are an _extremely_ important thing for any desktop and a source of many, many complaints that I've heard over the years about openSUSE :/
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

    .: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,703

    Default Re: Font rendering - The reason I feel like switching from openSUSE

    Don't know about them but some fonts are not FREE ie OS Maybe a legal reason like not having the propritary graphic drivers.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Font rendering - The reason I feel like switching from openSUSE

    Wonder what buttons I have clicked because it seems I already have content of that repo installed. May be a KDE thing on 13.2?

    Very subjective but with anti-aliasing settings at "RGB" and "Slight" fonts look quite good. Also the bunch I imported from a Windows 7 install. Default is horrid. Have to set it up.

    May be check this site http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/ though I cant agree with this

    If you are interested in Windows 7, Windows 8.1/10 or Windows Vista fonts for Linux you won't find them here for one very sad reason: Xft and freetype cannot yet properly render them (yes, seven years after the introduction of ClearType v2 - they are still not usable under Linux).
    Not for Windows 7 fonts as that is what I used. Possible they are better on Windows 7 but not hopeless on Linux.

    Seems like he know what he is doing... he know Linux weaknesses if you click around on links Massive rant available.

    Someone with too much time should make a comparison gallery of typical font output from all DEs, with diff. settings and video drivers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,673
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Font rendering - The reason I feel like switching from openSUSE

    On Thu 27 Nov 2014 04:36:01 PM CST, Miuku wrote:


    What concerns me greatly is why isn't this in the distribution by
    default without the need for 3rd party repositories.

    Fonts are an _extremely_ important thing for any desktop and a source of
    many, many complaints that I've heard over the years about openSUSE :/


    Hi
    AFAIK, some things are still encumbered by patents...


    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.28-4-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Bari (Italy)
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Font rendering - The reason I feel like switching from openSUSE

    I found a good configuration that doesn't make me regret Windows, try it if you can:
    - don't install any infinality or similar rendering tool;
    - install fetchmsttfonts from Yast;
    - copy Windows fonts (c:\Windows\Fonts) and in Opensuse open the font manager, than add all Windows fonts in the "Personal fonts" settings page;
    - in Opensuse open "Fonts", click on "Adjust all fonts", and set DejavuSans (the "book" style is nice);
    - in the same "Fonts" settings page, set Antialiasing on "enabled", click on "Configure" and set "hinting on "medium" or "moderate" according to your monitor and preferences (i like medium);
    - reboot;
    - enjoy.

    Following these steps, also all web pages will be shown in the correct way as on a Windows system.

    Here are some screen:
    http://s30.postimg.org/8zft6d6w1/font1.png
    http://s23.postimg.org/n9wv20kej/font2.png
    http://s13.postimg.org/umbvjbxdz/font3.png
    http://s17.postimg.org/dydc3x8hr/font4.png

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,546

    Default Re: Font rendering - The reason I feel like switching from openSUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by ezio84 View Post
    I found a good configuration that doesn't make me regret Windows, try it if you can:
    - don't install any infinality or similar rendering tool;
    - install fetchmsttfonts from Yast;
    - copy Windows fonts (c:\Windows\Fonts) and in Opensuse open the font manager, than add all Windows fonts in the "Personal fonts" settings page;
    - in Opensuse open "Fonts", click on "Adjust all fonts", and set DejavuSans (the "book" style is nice);
    - in the same "Fonts" settings page, set Antialiasing on "enabled", click on "Configure" and set "hinting on "medium" or "moderate" according to your monitor and preferences (i like medium);
    - reboot;
    - enjoy.

    Following these steps, also all web pages will be shown in the correct way as on a Windows system.

    Here are some screen:
    http://s30.postimg.org/8zft6d6w1/font1.png
    http://s23.postimg.org/n9wv20kej/font2.png
    http://s13.postimg.org/umbvjbxdz/font3.png
    http://s17.postimg.org/dydc3x8hr/font4.png
    but I have no windows fonts installed or any special font repo and the page examples you have given look almost identical on my system (dear I say . . . perhaps even slightly better )

    e.g. http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/61375212
    http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/72914542

    the difference in the second example is that I have hinting set to full (but they both appear to be dejavu sans)
    Mark F.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 / Plasma 5.12



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Font rendering - The reason I feel like switching from openSUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    I checked the AUR package for Arch and they use exactly the same patches as those available from
    Code:
    home:ZaWertun:freetype-infinality
    repository.
    All of which are broken and unusable

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •